48 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:02 PM

Would love to hear the real story. Not a fan of the guy personally.
@BSLMikeRandall

#22 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

Apparently it was political in nature but not that tweet.

Man with cancel culture the way it is today I dont understand why you'd have a personal twitter account when you have a high profile job

In my previous job as a person "in the media" it was made crystal clear by my employer what sort of things were off limits on social media. If Wagner had been warned previously and continued to engage in back-and-forth of a political nature, I can see where that would lead to dismissal. 

#23 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:25 PM

I only assumed it was that tweet since he clearly showed up for work Thursday assuming he still had a job. 

If the Orioles were mad about another tweet or something social media related, why this wasn't told to him seems very odd. 

@beginthebegin71

#24 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:59 PM

I only assumed it was that tweet since he clearly showed up for work Thursday assuming he still had a job. 

If the Orioles were mad about another tweet or something social media related, why this wasn't told to him seems very odd. 

I'm sure they informed him of why he was being dismissed at the moment that they told him he was being dismissed. But an employer isn't going to show their hand before they drop the guillotine's blade. 

#25 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:22 AM

I can’t believe they would fire him on basically the biggest day of the year with no real replacement ready, just for a tweet. Feels like there has to be more to it. Of course I’ve learned to expect anything from this ownership, especially cutting your nose off to spite your face.
  • Mackus, Mike B and Old Man like this

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,400 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:01 AM

I can’t believe they would fire him on basically the biggest day of the year with no real replacement ready, just for a tweet. Feels like there has to be more to it. Of course I’ve learned to expect anything from this ownership, especially cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Exactly how I feel. Almost any other organization I'd assume the guy did something egregious and they are just not publicly saying what is was exactly.

With the O's, I'm forced to assume that there isn't any specific nefarious action by the employee but that they are just this incompetent and disorganized.
  • Mike B and Old Man like this

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:52 AM

I have to think there is more to this story.  I don't believe that Wagner got fired over that tweet.  Either way, unless there was something that had to be dealt with immediately, there had to be better ways of handling this.

At times this organization shows a lack of class.

• Old Man likes this
@mikeghg

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,711 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:16 PM

Likely scenario is that he was fired for something else and they waited for him to be in-person to sign an NDA. 

Still could have been done on another day.

#29 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,587 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:45 PM

Likely scenario is that he was fired for something else and they waited for him to be in-person to sign an NDA. 

Still could have been done on another day.

Why would someone sign an NDA before they were fired?

I agree with those above that, given the Orioles history, it's too easy to assume the Organization is doing the wrong thing.

I'm also comfortable waiting for the details, so I can wait.

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,456 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:05 PM

Why would someone sign an NDA before they were fired?

I agree with those above that, given the Orioles history, it's too easy to assume the Organization is doing the wrong thing.

I'm also comfortable waiting for the details, so I can wait.

Because you usually get some form of a severance package if you do.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#31 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:14 PM

I'm a little late to the game but what exactly did the guy say on Twitter that was so horrible?  I can't seem to find any logical reason for his firing.  Did he say something against the Oriole organization or something racial in nature?  I know it doesn't take much today to lose your job but I'm just curious what he did. 

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,711 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:34 PM

I'm a little late to the game but what exactly did the guy say on Twitter that was so horrible?  I can't seem to find any logical reason for his firing.  Did he say something against the Oriole organization or something racial in nature?  I know it doesn't take much today to lose your job but I'm just curious what he did. 

Nobody knows anything.  It was a guess based on that WJZ article that it was something said social media wise.  One of his most recent tweets was linked previous in the thread.  Nobody knows what comment (if it was a comment on social media) led to the dismissal. 

#33 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 04:23 PM

It sounds like it wasn't about politics at all.  They had told him not to tweet about other sports teams, and apparently the Ravens playoff loss did him in.

Ryan Wagner’s firing as Orioles’ PA announcer due, in part, to Twitter sports commentary – The Athletic

#34 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

Ok that’s dumb.

“In part” seems to be doing some heavy lifting though to try and be fair.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

Ridiculous. Still not buying it.

#36 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,456 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:23 PM

If true that’s so dumb. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#37 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:26 PM

I guess he was fired for being a Ravens fan?
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:28 PM

Nah. No way. Firing a guy because he criticized the Ravens on twitter?

I believe something else is going on here

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#39 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 07:10 PM

Yeah no. Not buying that. 

However, Wagner on Saturday confirmed an earlier story in The Athletic that previous tweets of his were among the reasons for the dismissal. He would not discuss specifics, but he stressed the tweets in question were not political in nature — his political views seem to align, for the most part, with the Orioles’ liberal-leaning ownership — and that he has not removed any tweets from his timeline in 2021.

According to an industry source, the Orioles previously had warned Wagner about using social media to comment on other organizations, including earlier this year when he tweeted multiple times about the Baltimore Ravens’ failed postseason run on Jan. 16. Those tweets embodied the spirit of a frustrated fan, with one example referring to the Ravens’ 17-3 playoff loss to Buffalo as a “sickening game” and another in which he called the Ravens’ offensive line “atrocious.”

First paragraph sounds like Wagner chose his words very very carefully. "Not removed any tweets in 2021". Joined twitter in 2011. Became O's PA announcer in 2012. That's a long time to post something dumb you hastily delete...until someone digs it up because nothing is ever really deleted. If they weren't political in nature, you don't have to double down on the fact you align with ownership politically. Ownership probably doesn't want the public knowing where they lie politically because in the words of Michael Jordan, "republicans buy shoes too."

Second paragraph confirms that all of us on this message board are disqualified from being the O's PA announcer one day. 

Whatever it was, he was "warned previously", and then continued to do it. So he's an idiot. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#40 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:23 AM

There was also this - in the end, it might have just been a don't-tell-me-how-to-fan disagreement.

Additionally, there was a concern about Wagner’s attitude after rebukes from management, which also contributed to the dismissal, another source said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=