End this runner on 2nd s*** right now

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Grindelwald

Grindelwald
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:46 AM

This is the biggest joke of a rule change they’ve come up, I don’t understand how anyone supports it. It’s an absolute disgrace to the game and Manfred needs to be run out of town.
  • Mike in STL, russsnyder and CantonJester like this

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:52 AM

I hate it too. It's a joke. Just call it a tie after 9 and be done with it if you can't deal with extra innings.
  • Mike in STL, BSLSteveBirrer, CantonJester and 2 others like this

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,453 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:55 AM

Dumbest Covid-related game change there is.
  • Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:03 AM

Dont think it should start in the 10th. Im fine with it after the 11th or 12th inning. Its here to stay though.

#5 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:08 AM

The NFL made changes to their OT, and I didnt care too much for that, either

At least this rule change is for both leagues. 

To be honest, I think the 3 hitter rule for the pitcher, is more stupid, than this rule change.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:21 AM

Some previous discussion. 

https://forum.baltim...l-rule-changes/

#7 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:32 AM

It's a ridiculous rule that should only be used in amateur baseball/softball tournament.

Play straight baseball.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:37 AM

Dumbest Covid-related game change there is.

They used that as the catalyst but it had actually been internally discussed a few times before. They e been trying to solve the long games problem for a while now.

I think I agree with instituting ties honestly. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie. Would give another tiebreaker and likely eliminate the end of year tie play in game situation too.
@JeremyMStrain

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:41 AM

Nobody in the history of baseball has ever been watching a game that has gotten to the 15th or 18th or 21st inning and thought, "man I wish they would have given each offense a free advantage so this game would've ended in the 10th".

I agree with the rule at absolutely every other level of baseball.  But this is the big leagues.  Play real baseball.  It being sudden death every inning is different enough from the first 9 innings.  Allow flexible roster moves just like a doubleheader if a team has to play more than 12 innings.

I'm also very against the 7-inning doubleheaders.

• You Play to Win the Game, 24fps, Don Quixote and 3 others like this

#10 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:42 AM

Dont think it should start in the 10th. Im fine with it after the 11th or 12th inning. Its here to stay though.

It's here to stay.

I think Women's College Softball Plays it like that.

I really can't stand it.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:46 AM

Nobody in the history of baseball has ever been watching a game that has gotten to the 15th or 18th or 21st inning and thought, "man I wish they would have given each offense a free advantage so this game would've ended in the 10th".

I agree with the rule at absolutely every other level of baseball. But this is the big leagues. Play real baseball. It being sudden death every inning is different enough from the first 9 innings. Allow flexible roster moves just like a doubleheader if a team has to play more than 12 innings.

Its not sudden death if the visiting team scores first. Im a much bigger critic of 7 inning DHs than putting a guy on 2nd after the 12th. Same with 3 batter minimum. Stupid rule. Fine with it up til the 7th inning. From that point on managers should be allowed to match up as they please.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

Its not sudden death if the visiting team scores first. Im a much bigger critic of 7 inning DHs than putting a guy on 2nd after the 12th. Same with 3 batter minimum. Stupid rule. Fine with it up til the 7th inning. From that point on managers should be allowed to match up as they please.

It's sudden death if a team ends an inning with a lead.  That's baseball sudden death.  I'm aware the game doesn't instantly stop the first time someone scores a run :)

• dude likes this

#13 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:59 AM

I agree with the rule at absolutely every other level of baseball.  But this is the big leagues.  Play real baseball.  It being sudden death every inning is different enough from the first 9 innings.  Allow flexible roster moves just like a doubleheader if a team has to play more than 12 innings.

I agree with all of this.

Very well stated sir.

#14 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

I hate it too. It's a joke. Just call it a tie after 9 and be done with it if you can't deal with extra innings.

Play until the 12th and then call it a tie would honestly be fine, if you're going that long without finding a difference you have no one to blame but yourself lol 

she/her

#15 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:33 AM

I'm -much- more against the 7-inning DHs than this.

I've gone from "against" to "meh, whatever" on this. Two of the coolest games I've ever seen were insanely long games, and that's what made it fun. It seems like a solution in search of a problem, but maybe that's more for casual fans than...you know...us.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:34 AM

I'm afraid we're all just too appreciative of the game of baseball. They're trying to appeal to very casual fans, or young people who could develop into future paying fans. For one thing, I think baseball has stayed too "old school" in how their business model has responded to technological  developments. Perhaps most importantly, they know the changes that need to be made. But those would interfere with the sales of commercial time. Taking a 5 minute timeout for each 1/2 inning just kills the momentum of the game. Sure the digital condiment race and trivia questions are fun to watch, if I'm sitting in the stands. But at home it's 2-3 PNC commercials an inning. That's why people have lost interest. So they try to compensate by hurrying the actual game. Thus, doing nothing to appeal to a new generation, or the short attention span folks. Instead, they're alienating the ever dwindling fans that have stayed in touch with the sport. But, they want to believe what they want to believe. Triple the commercials, and limit each inning to 4 minutes of play. That will draw in the crowds.       

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:41 AM

It's sudden death if a team ends an inning with a lead. That's baseball sudden death. I'm aware the game doesn't instantly stop the first time someone scores a run :)

Well then its different from the first 8 innings. Not the 9th inning. I dont know about the term sudden death inning. Sudden death implies suddenneness. I also admit Im doing my best mweb impression here.🙄
  • Mackus likes this

#18 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

Just one more thing for me to dislike about the game today.  It's a joke. 

• Mike B likes this

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:21 AM

Just one more thing for me to dislike about the game today.  It's a joke. 

Agreed.   The people running baseball are intent on fixing things that are not broken.

@mikeghg

#20 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:29 AM

They used that as the catalyst but it had actually been internally discussed a few times before. They e been trying to solve the long games problem for a while now.

I think I agree with instituting ties honestly. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie. Would give another tiebreaker and likely eliminate the end of year tie play in game situation too.

Spot on....make a soccer fan out of you yet....lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=