Yahoo Sports / Passan: http://sports.yahoo...._angelos_011212

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hard to argue any of it, except for the Matusz velocity. We as O's fans are hit with these kinds of reminders any time we read a national article about the Orioles which can get frustrating, but the Orioles failures are still the leading storyline when it comes to this team.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

He's pretty much right about everything, but in an effort to defend the team a bit, he completely downplayed anything positive, such as our increased presence in the International Market, the front office changes, or Zach Britton. In regards to Britton, I think simply saying "inconsistent as a rookie" is just lazy. Nearly all rookies are inconsistent, and many of them perform as well as Britton did whenever he was "on".

Everything else he said was pretty spot on though. I have to try to look at a few positives to keep my sanity, but there's quite a bit to dislike with this franchise right now.

@AdamWolff

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,107 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

The only thing about the article that annoys me is the continued framing (not Passan's continued framing, just that we continue to see this story) that the O's had to settle for Duquette.

If you are going to accurately mention that he was not the first option, you have to at-least discuss what that means. Duquette is 53. LaCava is 50. Duquette has sat behind the big desk for two other organizations. Even after being out of MLB for the past decade, can't one argue that Duquette's prior experience gives him an advantage? Also,I knew of Executives in the game that wanted to be contacted by the O's. They were qualified options, that for whatever reason were not contacted. A couple of them remained interested even after the whole situation with LaCava.

None of that matters at this point though. Duquette was hired. Focus on what he has done.

Generally though it was a very fair overview by Passan. The O's can't hide from their failures. I thought Passan had a great summation when he said, as always, there are pieces and there are problems.

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Well the Orioles did settle on Duquette and it was an example that fit the article.

Even I can admit there are some positives, but even those positives don't translate to 2012. We'd pretty much penciled Matusz in to be our ace in 2012 and he went out and turned in one of the worst seasons in the history of the game.

In Baltimore, even our positives are relative.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=