379 replies to this topic

#341 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:41 PM

Really? Having been to both, I found Comcast center to be a generally superior environment.

Cole was consistently louder because of the size.  Comcast can rock when it peaks, but it has to really get going to that top level that Cole reached much more frequently.

The new arena is terrific and is indisputably a finer experience, but there was something about Cole that I don't think Comcast has, and I think that makes it a less special experience.

Comcast does have individual urinals, so that's a major plus.

#342 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 25 January 2022 - 06:02 PM

Cole was consistently louder because of the size. Comcast can rock when it peaks, but it has to really get going to that top level that Cole reached much more frequently.

The new arena is terrific and is indisputably a finer experience, but there was something about Cole that I don't think Comcast has, and I think that makes it a less special experience.

Comcast does have individual urinals, so that's a major plus.

Yeah I went to the gone in 60 seconds game and then a few games during our championship run, and when I went to the xfinity center for some games the year it opened. It was always loud no matter what. But the team had something to do with that.

#343 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 February 2022 - 12:22 PM

Assistant coach Bruce Shingler has been suspended for 30 days for what the university is calling a violation of his employment agreement.

EDIT: A quick search of Maryland's state legal records shows that Shingler was charged with two counts of soliciting prostitution back in October. His trial is set for the end of February. Not sure what prompted the suspension to be handed down right now.

The charges against Shingler have been dropped, and the case has been expunged from the record. Whether or not he returns to the coaching staff next week is yet to be determined.
@BSLZackKiesel

#344 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2022 - 12:47 PM

The charges against Shingler have been dropped, and the case has been expunged from the record. Whether or not he returns to the coaching staff next week is yet to be determined.

I guess they will let him come back, but there has to be some thought to letting him walk.  I would imagine the entire staff will be gone in another 9 games.  

@mikeghg

#345 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 February 2022 - 05:24 PM

The team has announced Shingler won’t be returning to the bench.
@BSLZackKiesel

#346 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 February 2022 - 09:09 PM

Illinois just lost at Rutgers so Maryland remains the only Big Ten team to win at Rutgers this year lol

• sandiegosean likes this

she/her

#347 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 10:40 AM

20 years ago today...

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus and Mike B like this

#348 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 10:47 AM

20 years ago today...

I was working in the Orioles box office by myself that day.  Not a lot of action at the windows.  Got paid to watch that game. Good times.

• Mackus and Mike B like this

#349 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 10:58 AM

Loudest I've ever heard any sports arena.  Delmon Young Double was #2.

Also, "oh he steal" will always be the name of the play for me.  I wasn't a Billy Packer fan, but the level of complete shock that he had to interrupt and just blurt something near to being words out while that happened is an all-time favorite call of mine.

#350 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:16 AM

20 years ago today...

20 years ago!  Damn time flies by.   I remember it like it was yesterday.  A good reminder of what Maryland basketball was and hopefully what it can be again.

@mikeghg

#351 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:51 PM

When I see old Cole clips, I end up wondering if Xfinity was a giant mistake. 

#352 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 01:20 PM

wonder why the charges were dropped.

According to the WashPost, the coach went to the hotel and requested sex for cash.

Seams pretty straight forward and hard to explain anything other that.

#353 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 01:34 PM

The things that made Cole great were often also the things that made it terrible and desperately in need of an overhaul.  I don't think they could've retrofitted it to update with modern amenities without similarly losing those things.  Not just the extravagant things that Comcast has like Heritage Hall and skyboxes and great locker rooms, but the basic necessities like bathrooms with running water, adequate ventilation, and safe exits.

Cole got really loud and really hot, and we all treated those as features rather than the bugs that they actually were.  I miss it.  But it needed to be replaced.  And Comcast is fantastic, it's not like it lacks anything that other big arenas have.  

• You Play to Win the Game, Mashed Potatoes, BSLZackKiesel and 1 other like this

#354 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 02:33 PM

Loved Cole, but Xfinity is amazing for a college arena. 

The only things Xfinity needs are more big games / wins, and more banners. 

#355 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 February 2022 - 02:34 PM

I’ve said this before but the ACC home opener against Wake during the Steve Francis year was the loudest I’ve ever heard any event. I could feel the noise on my face when he dunked from almost the free throw line to make it 18-3 or something like that.

@fuzydunlop

#356 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 February 2022 - 03:05 PM

They beat Duke at Xfinity in:

2003: 87-72
2005: 99-92 (OT)
2007: 85-77
2010: 79-72
2013: 83-81

So if the premise of the argument is a nicer arena ruined their homecourt advantage for their biggest game, not really sold on that

she/her

#357 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 February 2022 - 03:06 PM

They beat Duke at Xfinity in:

2003: 87-72
2005: 99-92 (OT)
2007: 85-77
2010: 79-72
2013: 83-81

So if the premise of the argument is a nicer arena ruined their homecourt advantage for their biggest game, not really sold on that

Not at all, just nostalgia. I miss it. Xfinity hasn't gotten particularly close to how it felt at Cole. I just miss it, and that stuff is part of the brand. Playing at Xfinity, scares no one IMO.

As Stoner said, winning will help. 

#358 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 03:17 PM

Was lucky enough to make a couple of big games at Cole. None during the '01 or '02 season. Still envy anyone who was there for that game.

#359 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 February 2022 - 03:27 PM

Not at all, just nostalgia. I miss it. Xfinity hasn't gotten particularly close to how it felt at Cole. I just miss it, and that stuff is part of the brand. Playing at Xfinity, scares no one IMO.

As Stoner said, winning will help.

There have been numerous quotes from opposing players and coaches over the years who say how difficult it is to play in XFINITY. The last few years have obviously been lacking in that regard due to COVID-19 and how awful the team is this season, but it can get as raucous as any arena in the country when it’s full. Of course, it’s probably been at least 5-6 years since it’s been reliably packed for every game.
@BSLZackKiesel

#360 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 February 2022 - 03:35 PM

Yep, all comes down to winning ultimately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=