379 replies to this topic

#81 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2021 - 05:41 PM

There is not currently a decided-upon deadline for when players have to pull their names out of the NBA draft to be able to return to school.  Usually it's 10 days after the combine, but the combine hasn't been set yet.  It's gonna be a while before we know if Wiggins is staying in the draft or coming back to school (and presuming that he comes back to Maryland if he does come back).

Draft combine is June 21-27. Deadline to withdraw from the Draft is July 19.

https://www.nba.com/key-dates

• Mackus likes this

#82 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:41 PM

I think it's just about seeking evaluation. Ayala has to know there is zero chance of him being selected now.
But at-least both kept open the prospects of returning, which shows some level of being grounded.

I mean both can go play professionally somewhere. Ayala isn't sniffing the NBA imo. Wiggins is 89th on NBA Draft Net currently. I think he's talented enough that he could go to an individual workout, and someone might promise him a contract even if he's a 2nd rounder... but he's not even definite to be a 2nd rounder.

I'm pretty sure both return.

If they just wanted to get direct feedback from NBA evaluators, no harm done. Certainly understand that.

Do you know how euro leagues feel about older players? The MO in the NBA has been to avoid them. Does Wiggins hurt his chances in Europe by staying around another year?

#83 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:01 PM

Do you know how euro leagues feel about older players? The MO in the NBA has been to avoid them. Does Wiggins hurt his chances in Europe by staying around another year?

Staying in College hurts his chances of an NBA team drafting him; because they are focused on development and long-term potential. Older he is less ceiling.

Don't think a European team a year from now would care about his age.

If he doesn't get a guarantee from an NBA team he'll have to decide if just wants to be a Pro now..G League, Europe, whatever.

Since he left open the college door, I suspect that is what happens.

#84 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:58 AM

Staying in College hurts his chances of an NBA team drafting him; because they are focused on development and long-term potential. Older he is less ceiling.

Don't think a European team a year from now would care about his age.

If he doesn't get a guarantee from an NBA team he'll have to decide if just wants to be a Pro now..G League, Europe, whatever.

Since he left open the college door, I suspect that is what happens.

I guess I feel like the whole process needs a little overhaul. Like the developmental league needs to be more of an option, and going into the draft and transfer portal shouldn’t be so in favor of the players. Like right now they can do all this every year and the school is kinda held hostage waiting to see what they are going to do.

I have no idea how to rework it, and the exchange should be that the NCAA doesn’t own these kids and they can take endorsement deals, but it’s a little messed up right now.
@JeremyMStrain

#85 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:07 AM

I guess I feel like the whole process needs a little overhaul. Like the developmental league needs to be more of an option, and going into the draft and transfer portal shouldn’t be so in favor of the players. Like right now they can do all this every year and the school is kinda held hostage waiting to see what they are going to do.

I have no idea how to rework it, and the exchange should be that the NCAA doesn’t own these kids and they can take endorsement deals, but it’s a little messed up right now.

Yeah, it's not great for the school... but I do favor giving leeway to the player, and allowing them to explore their possibilities. Gaining additional information, making a better informed decision. 

(I think what is needed is a tighter window for the players.)

I respect that the players want to hear an evaluation from outside of their college coaching staff, someone they feel isn't biased about having them back. 

OTOH, I'm not sure what Ayala for example is expecting to hear.

Turgeon knows right now that Smart has left.  He should be looking to fill that spot. 
Beyond that, he's got to hold opportunities Morsell, Wiggins, and Ayala to return.  That's a little tough, because it could burn you.
I think it's pretty safe to believe Ayala will be back. And with Morsell and Wiggins also both leaving the door open, I think the chances with both returning are also pretty good... but certainly they could leave too.  Hell, Morsell could come back to College and decide he wants to be the man at a level below MD and show that he can score / shoot at a level to give him more NBA looks.  I doubt that happens (seems more likely to me he would go pro somewhere, vs coming back to college and playing down a level - also more likely imo to transfer to another major program vs. transferring down) but it's possible.  

#86 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:45 PM

Yeah, it's not great for the school... but I do favor giving leeway to the player, and allowing them to explore their possibilities. Gaining additional information, making a better informed decision.

(I think what is needed is a tighter window for the players.)

I respect that the players want to hear an evaluation from outside of their college coaching staff, someone they feel isn't biased about having them back.

OTOH, I'm not sure what Ayala for example is expecting to hear.

Turgeon knows right now that Smart has left. He should be looking to fill that spot.
Beyond that, he's got to hold opportunities Morsell, Wiggins, and Ayala to return. That's a little tough, because it could burn you.
I think it's pretty safe to believe Ayala will be back. And with Morsell and Wiggins also both leaving the door open, I think the chances with both returning are also pretty good... but certainly they could leave too. Hell, Morsell could come back to College and decide he wants to be the man at a level below MD and show that he can score / shoot at a level to give him more NBA looks. I doubt that happens (seems more likely to me he would go pro somewhere, vs coming back to college and playing down a level - also more likely imo to transfer to another major program vs. transferring down) but it's possible.

Yeah I mean don’t get me wrong, I don’t want this to become something else slanted for the schools, but I feel like it swings too much the other way. Like if you commit and take a scholarship you shouldn’t be able to just opt out so easy.

Let them do the combine and declare for the draft after if they really want, but don’t let them keep the option of going back at that point.

This transfer portal crap is getting really out of hand though. It’s essentially creating restricted free agency with giving the school the right to pull their scholarship and reuse it, but those are give out years ahead of time so you have to use this same broken system to replace someone leaving right now.

I dunno how to fix it exactly, but I do think they should be allowed to make and keep money from endorsements, or their likeness, but should have to honor the scholly commitment or they should open a developmental path where players can bypass college and play developmentally but they have to play a minimum year or two there before they can be called up or something. I dunno...just not a fan of the current structure and know change is needed somehow.
@JeremyMStrain

#87 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:50 PM

Like if you commit and take a scholarship you shouldn’t be able to just opt out so easy.

Schools can rescind scholarships anytime they want. Players deserve the same flexibility, IMO.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#88 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:24 PM

Yeah I mean don’t get me wrong, I don’t want this to become something else slanted for the schools, but I feel like it swings too much the other way. Like if you commit and take a scholarship you shouldn’t be able to just opt out so easy.

You can commit to a job and leave it for another job anytime you like. I’m not sure what in principle makes athletic scholarships different, aside from NCAA members colluding with each other to limit student-athletes from having the same choice.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#89 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:06 PM

Now that UMBC has a head coaching vacancy, Maryland could be losing Bino Ranson.

The Retrievers hired Jim Ferry, so Ranson stays put for now.

@BSLZackKiesel

#90 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:06 PM

The Retrievers hired Jim Ferry, so Ranson stays put for now.

Did Bino even get an interview?

@mikeghg

#91 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:42 AM

Did Bino even get an interview?

Not sure. He was “connected” to the job, but could’ve just been media speculation given his ties to the area.
@BSLZackKiesel

#92 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:12 AM

Not sure. He was “connected” to the job, but could’ve just been media speculation given his ties to the area.

I think it was media spec.  I wonder if the lead assistant at Maryland pays more than the new HC at UMBC.

@mikeghg

#93 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:33 AM

I think it was media spec.  I wonder if the lead assistant at Maryland pays more than the new HC at UMBC.

He's making 160k right now according to the DBK salary guide

• Mike B likes this

she/her

#94 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:50 AM

And Ryan Odom was making $425k as UMBC's head coach, so safe to say it would've been a massive salary bump for Bino.

@BSLZackKiesel

#95 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:50 AM

Not a bad living.

@mikeghg

#96 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:54 PM

And Ryan Odom was making $425k as UMBC's head coach, so safe to say it would've been a massive salary bump for Bino.

Not sure about it being that massive.  Odom beat a #1 seed.  I think he was only making about half that before 2018.  I think it'd be a bump for Bino but I doubt he or the actually hired new coach would have made what Odom was making.

#97 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:16 AM

Morsell transfer options: 

Maryland transfer Darryl Morsell told ESPN he's heard from Arkansas, Miami, Florida, Providence, Marquette, San Diego State, Butler and Clemson. Morsell also entered the NBA draft, and will take his time going through the process. Was Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

#98 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:34 AM

I think he'd be dynamite in a place that really pushes tempo.  Put him in a Huggins-style system and I think you see his scoring go way up, he's great in the open court.  I'm really surprised West Virginia hasn't reached out, though I know nothing of their depth, if they already are returning both their 2 and 3 then maybe not really room for Darryl.

Hope he's back in College Park, but not expecting it.  Same for Wiggins.  Ayala I think returns.

• Mike B likes this

#99 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:04 AM

Morsell transfer options: 

Maryland transfer Darryl Morsell told ESPN he's heard from Arkansas, Miami, Florida, Providence, Marquette, San Diego State, Butler and Clemson. Morsell also entered the NBA draft, and will take his time going through the process. Was Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

I will root for Morsell no matter where he goes.  Well maybe not Duke.  :-P

• Mackus likes this
@mikeghg

#100 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:05 AM

Definitely not Duke

• Mike B likes this