#101 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:25 AM

I heard somewhere that Morsell wants to play PG if and when he returns to school, which obviously isn't happening here. We also speculated on Talking Terps that he may want to go to a lesser school in order to get his scoring numbers up for NBA/European scouts. Either way, I seriously doubt he's back in College Park next year.

@BSLZackKiesel

#102 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:43 AM

I think he'd be dynamite in a place that really pushes tempo.  Put him in a Huggins-style system and I think you see his scoring go way up, he's great in the open court.  I'm really surprised West Virginia hasn't reached out, though I know nothing of their depth, if they already are returning both their 2 and 3 then maybe not really room for Darryl.

Hope he's back in College Park, but not expecting it.  Same for Wiggins.  Ayala I think returns.

Good post.  I suspect Morsell plays in CBB next year.  Supposedly he is halfway to his masters degree, so why not play another year and get it paid for?  I also think, he likes the fact that other teams are pursuing him.

I hope he decides to come back to Maryland, but I agree, he probably needs to go to a place where they run, press and trap, consistently.  That is not Maryland.

@mikeghg

#103 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:02 AM

If Morsell goes to one of those 8 schools, that tells you everything you need to know about where Maryland is as a basketball school.

#104 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:05 AM

If Morsell goes to one of those 8 schools, that tells you everything you need to know about where Maryland is as a basketball school.

The PG thing that Zack mentions would disprove or at least temper this argument.  It'd be very similar (nearly identical except that Darryl only has one year left) to when Seth Allen left for VT so that he could play PG because that was his only path to the NBA and he couldn't play PG here.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#105 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:19 AM

It's Turgeon's job to sell Morsell and Wiggins on returning, and what can be accomplished*. And if you can't sell the guys who know you best... that's not good. 

*Certainly understand that individual goals might supersede anything you can sell in-terms of team. 

The other thing Turgeon has to determine is a good instinct of if they're coming back. If he feels they are gone, then he needs to be working to replace them.  I'd have to think he's working on contingencies, but he might need to push for decisions.

• Mackus likes this

#106 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:23 AM

The PG thing that Zack mentions would disprove or at least temper this argument.  It'd be very similar (nearly identical except that Darryl only has one year left) to when Seth Allen left for VT so that he could play PG because that was his only path to the NBA and he couldn't play PG here.

A lot of starters leave the good basketball schools to better their professional profile? Not buying any of it. He knows Turge and this program best, and wants to go somewhere else. We'll see about Wiggins.

#107 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:26 AM

Another element here is that if Wiggins and Ayala were to both come back, Morsell would almost certainly be pushed out of a starting job. So you totally understand him covering his bases in that case.

@BSLZackKiesel

#108 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:43 AM

Another element here is that if Wiggins and Ayala were to both come back, Morsell would almost certainly be pushed out of a starting job. So you totally understand him covering his bases in that case.

Maybe, but Morsell is going to get his 25- 30 minutes.  He is Turgeon's swiss army knife.

@mikeghg

#109 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:45 AM

Maybe, but Morsell is going to get his 25- 30 minutes.  He is Turgeon's swiss army knife.

And be on the floor at crunch time even if he doesn't start. Definitely would play a ton. 

• Mike B likes this

#110 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:46 AM

I really don't think it says much at all.  He is being courted by the 8 schools.  It is more than l;ikely an ego boost for him.  

@mikeghg

#111 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:48 AM

I'd start Morsell over Scott against most teams, unless they've got two serious bigs. Also not certain that Russell would start over either guy.

#112 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:51 AM

I feel like Morsell being a referendum on Maryland as a basketball program is a wild over exaggeration, if he's looking for a team where he has a different, more offensively-prominent role I don't see how that'd be different if he was doing the same thing while playing for Duke or someone else 

• Mike B likes this

she/her

#113 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:44 PM

I feel like Morsell being a referendum on Maryland as a basketball program is a wild over exaggeration, if he's looking for a team where he has a different, more offensively-prominent role I don't see how that'd be different if he was doing the same thing while playing for Duke or someone else 

Yea, I think it has become the norm to blame the coach on anything that has the slightest negative flavor.

I was hoping MD moved on from Turg, but I am over that and look forward to seeing where the roster is, after all the transfer free agency is over.

As for Morsell, he played his 4 years at MD, and he may want to take advantage of the extra year to see what another program offers.

There is no blame in that.  It is happening all over CBB.

@mikeghg

#114 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:51 PM

I tend to agree. Have said it before, some of the transfers dont make sense to me from a PT/role standpoint. Its not uncommon at all.

#115 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:37 PM

Yeah I'm probably wrong about that but let's wait and see where he ends up, yeah?

I'm mainly bitter and pissed that they didn't do the right thing with Turgeon. So depressing. I'm not over it yet, unlike Mike.

#116 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:43 PM

Chol Marial transfering, not exactly a surprise

Committed to Oregon State.
@BSLZackKiesel

#117 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:44 PM

Committed to Oregon State.

Joins Destiny Slocum for basketball players to go there, bit of a random partnership lol

she/her

#118 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:49 PM

Faust transferred there, too, think it was the same head coach as currently. Maybe he's got some Maryland connections or something.

Best of luck to Chol. He struggled here but always seemed to try hard and appeared to be a terrific teammate if his energy and demeanor on the sidelines is any indication.

#119 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

Faust transferred there, too, think it was the same head coach as currently. Maybe he's got some Maryland connections or something.

Faust never actually played for OSU. He switched to Long Beach State after the Beavers fired their head coach and hired Wayne Tinkle.
  • Mackus likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#120 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:26 PM

I wish Chol luck.  I do not think he is major conference player but I hope he proves me wrong.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=