• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:30 AM

I'm calling Kremer, Zimmermann, Akin, Lowther, Baumann, Wells, and Smith the Group of 7. 

How do you Power Rank them?

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:45 AM

Tough to rank them but here goes.

Kremer

Baumann

Zimmerman

Akin

Lowther

Wells

Smith

@mikeghg

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 March 2021 - 12:40 PM

Kremer
Baumann
Lowther
Akin
Zimmermann
Smith
Wells

#4 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:42 PM

Baumann- big, sturdy frame. can still pump 95+ late into games. Legit middle of the rotation prospect or late-inning reliever with one of the best FB/slider combos on the team. 

Kremer- has all the potential to stick in a rotation, but has to throw more strikes this year. 

Akin- Can dominate the bottom of the zone, long history of high-K numbers, and the fastball is much better than anyone expects, but walks have been an issue since college and that isn't changing and he can't seem to work the top of the strikezone well.

Lowther- seem to always be higher on Lowther than most, but he works fast and can pick his spots. Hard for guys to square him up due to the movement on his fastball. If he can reverse his downward trend in strikeouts as he moves up and challenge big league hitters, it all works. 

Zimmermann- just needs to be on a regular schedule. Probably not a longterm starter, but he's a major leaguer. 

Smith- only watched one full outing of his and it was on milb tv so need to see more but he offers more than Wells and I think the ceiling is a bit higher.

Wells- Not really high on Wells anymore, but hoping he proves me wrong. I've seen him live four times now and each time he was worse than before. Granted, those were all High-A starts and he pitched well in Double-A the next season. 

• BobPhelan likes this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 03:27 PM

I don't think it really matters how they currently rank (aside from a few who I think have very long odds of being anything).  How much better anyone on this list gets from this point forward will be the important thing.  None are close to good enough currently.  There is reason to be optimistic about the skills for the top half or so of the list, but more work needs to be done to develop into something real.  So it doesn't matter how good anyone is right now, as none are good enough.  Who will be improve from this point and will they improve enough to last as a mid-rotation arm?  Or can more than one do that?  

Kremer and Baumann are the most intriguing to me.

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:33 PM

Akin

Bauman

Kremmr

Lowther

Smith

Wells

Zimmerman

when in doubt just use alphabetical order....lol

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:52 PM

Akin

Bauman

Kremmr

Lowther

Smith

Wells

Zimmerman

when in doubt just use alphabetical order....lol

Weaver drew the lineup out of his head once or twice.  That would work too.

@mikeghg

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:21 PM

I don't think it really matters how they currently rank (aside from a few who I think have very long odds of being anything). How much better anyone on this list gets from this point forward will be the important thing. None are close to good enough currently. There is reason to be optimistic about the skills for the top half or so of the list, but more work needs to be done to develop into something real. So it doesn't matter how good anyone is right now, as none are good enough. Who will be improve from this point and will they improve enough to last as a mid-rotation arm? Or can more than one do that?

Kremer and Baumann are the most intriguing to me.

I think Kremer is a league avg pitcher right now.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:24 PM

Btw if, its a big if, Rodriguez and Hall end up being above avg starters you only need two of these guys to be around league avg to be in a pretty good place with your rotation. If 1 or 2 more end up as solid RPs all the better.

And it obviously doesnt need to be Rodriguez and Hall who are above avg. If its Rodriguez and Kremer that are above avg. Bauman and Lowther are avg and Hall is in the pen then that works too. To be honest I have some confidence that we'll get here by the way. Some of these guys wont be good enough in the show but I think enough will to make us competitive on the pitching side.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:07 AM

I've played this game too much only for all of the players in question to be zeroes (at least while they're here).
  • Mackus likes this

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:14 AM

The Cavalry is Coming! :)

I think our current group, unfortunately, is pretty similar in that it may have some depth but there aren't really any very good prospects.  The obvious exceptions are Rodriguez and Hall.  Those guys are legit and if they continue improving could be mid-rotation or better. But the rest of the guys aren't anything special, IMO.  But Kremer is a pretty good step down from those guys, I'm not sure if anyone else is on Kremer's level, and aside from maybe one or two, and everyone else is a tier down.

Being tier two or three or lower doesn't mean guys won't eventually become something useful.  Means was never on any radar and I really like him now.  There also have been another couple guys that we've heard of having big velocity upticks, which can if sustainable can really improve a player's outlook.  

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:50 AM

The Cavalry is Coming! :)

I think our current group, unfortunately, is pretty similar in that it may have some depth but there aren't really any very good prospects.  The obvious exceptions are Rodriguez and Hall.  Those guys are legit and if they continue improving could be mid-rotation or better. But the rest of the guys aren't anything special, IMO.  But Kremer is a pretty good step down from those guys, I'm not sure if anyone else is on Kremer's level, and aside from maybe one or two, and everyone else is a tier down.

Being tier two or three or lower doesn't mean guys won't eventually become something useful.  Means was never on any radar and I really like him now.  There also have been another couple guys that we've heard of having big velocity upticks, which can if sustainable can really improve a player's outlook.  

I have learned not to try to count on young pitching, because it is so hard to handicap.  However there is strength in numbers.  Trying to decide what spot a guy in the rotation fills is near impossible.  Maybe, Hall and GRod turn out to be TOR guys, but that remains to be seen.  I also think one or two of the second group could exceed expectations and be a TOR.

Me, I like Baumann.  I think he has a chance to be real good.  Now, that I went and jinxed him, we will probably never see him.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=