45 replies to this topic

#21 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:57 PM

For a fun trip down memory lane with Bob Irsay... Here's the press conference at BWI where you can hear him slurring virtually every sentence...

https://www.facebook...24976168114038/
  • Mike B and russsnyder like this

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:09 PM

For a fun trip down memory lane with Bob Irsay... Here's the press conference at BWI where you can hear him slurring virtually every sentence...

https://www.facebook...24976168114038/

That and when he was drunk in the coaching box, calling in plays with rotating QB's and his horrendous treatment of John Unitas is something I will never forget.

@mikeghg

#23 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,682 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:36 PM

There's a lot to unpack in this article.  I think it's funny that people are still talking about it...that John Angelos feels committed to talking about it....if he's just answering the question, ok, but I'd be surprised if he didn't know he was going to answer that question and he could certainly shut off that question if he wanted.

Note: The Orioles aren't moving and it has nothing to do with John Angelos in any direction.  If he wanted to move the team, if he was hardcore committed to doing it, he couldn't.

1) MLB vs NFL rulez

2) Ownership transition

3) "Orioles finances"

4) MSA and Lease

5) OPaCY 2.0

Lot of pieces there.

#24 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:45 PM

I don't think the Orioles are going anywhere.  Our issue is, whether the sons will be able to run a first class organization.  There have been changes from their Dad's regime and ideas.  There is hope.

I agree. But the sons have done some things that felt very much like their father (maybe it's because I'm at the end of a long work week, but for the life of me, none o them are coming to mind right now). But I'll end on a positive note, and say that there are some new ideas being implemented, and that does give me some hope.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:20 AM

They've never had a problem with spending, it was a problem with allocation. 

They've had a problem with both, especially in relation to their division peers. 

Some of that, or arguably most of it, is due to the inequities in MLB, but it's still a problem nonetheless. 

#26 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:27 AM

They shouldn't be spending money now.  

They should be spending around the core the build though, and we will see if they do. 

Back to the idea of the Orioles moving.  I maintain the chances of the Orioles leaving Baltimore are 0.0%.  
Some will continue to worry, and that's fine. But it's not happening.  And if the comments from John Angelos here don't alleviate that concern for you, listen to our pod with Maury Brown.  

They've had a problem with both, especially in relation to their division peers. 

Some of that, or arguably most of it, is due to the inequities in MLB, but it's still a problem nonetheless. 

During the Angelos tenure the Orioles have cut costs on scouting & development. They spent on free agency and then learned the wrong lessons. They let the wrong players (Moose) leave for reasons that boggle the curious-minded to this day. 

• RShack likes this

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:41 AM

During the Angelos tenure the Orioles have cut costs on scouting & development. They spent on free agency and then learned the wrong lessons. They let the wrong players (Moose) leave for reasons that boggle the curious-minded to this day. 

Yeah, early on they spent a lot on the big league club, but overall the spending has not been great, and the scouting, development, and international market has unfortunately been evidence of that.

• RShack likes this

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:46 AM

Right, there are inequalities in baseball as a starting point.  Great if MLB further addressed that at some point. 

But the Orioles were certainly spending plenty given their revenue during 2012-18.  Could have been allocated better.

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:05 AM

Right, there are inequalities in baseball as a starting point.  Great if MLB further addressed that at some point. 

But the Orioles were certainly spending plenty given their revenue during 2012-18.  Could have been allocated better.

For a contending team, generally being middle of the pack in MLB payroll is a little lower than I would have liked to have seen, especially considering the lack of spending internationally and likely cheaping out elsewhere in comparison to others. 

#30 IanQuillen

IanQuillen

All-Star

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:05 PM

The thing that always bothered me about the initial reporting suggesting the team might move is that it came from reporters who, frankly, haven't been very involved in the Baltimore sports scene in recent years. One was Michael Olesker, who of course at one point was a very important figure in this city as a Sun Columnist but recently has been semi-retired. The other was Thom Loverro of the Washington Times, who hasn't spent significant time in Baltimore in lord knows how long. 

There's a tendency in this city to listen to the people who WERE important rather than who ARE important. Case and point, people still believing Peter has the final say for Orioles ownership on all issues aside from Chris Davis. Anyone paying close attention should see clearly that's no longer true.

They shouldn't be spending money now.  

They should be spending around the core the build though, and we will see if they do. 

Back to the idea of the Orioles moving.  I maintain the chances of the Orioles leaving Baltimore are 0.0%.  
Some will continue to worry, and that's fine. But it's not happening.  And if the comments from John Angelos here don't alleviate that concern for you, listen to our pod with Maury Brown.  

• Mike B likes this

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:51 PM

The thing that always bothered me about the initial reporting suggesting the team might move is that it came from reporters who, frankly, haven't been very involved in the Baltimore sports scene in recent years. One was Michael Olesker, who of course at one point was a very important figure in this city as a Sun Columnist but recently has been semi-retired. The other was Thom Loverro of the Washington Times, who hasn't spent significant time in Baltimore in lord knows how long. 

There's a tendency in this city to listen to the people who WERE important rather than who ARE important. Case and point, people still believing Peter has the final say for Orioles ownership on all issues aside from Chris Davis. Anyone paying close attention should see clearly that's no longer true.

I never thought the Orioles were going anywhere.  Loverro, is biased toward DC.  His wanting the Orioles to move may have been a factor in his bringing the subject up.

@mikeghg

#32 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:04 PM

I never thought the Orioles were going anywhere.  Loverro, is biased toward DC.  His wanting the Orioles to move may have been a factor in his bringing the subject up.

Shame DC reporters used to do a better job of covering the Orioles than the B-Sun guys. :)

But that was a few years ago, when newspapers were still printed on paper and read that way.

#33 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:13 PM

Shame DC reporters used to do a better job of covering the Orioles than the B-Sun guys. :)

But that was a few years ago, when newspapers were still printed on paper and read that way.

Um, I think it was more because DC didn't have a team.

#34 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:23 PM

Um, I think it was more because DC didn't have a team.

I dont believe B-Sun ever had a beat reporter that was in the same league with the DC guys, and some of them were around when the team was there.

#35 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:43 PM

I dont believe B-Sun ever had a beat reporter that was in the same league with the DC guys, and some of them were around when the team was there.

If you mean back in the 60's, I'll have to take your word for it.  If you're talking about 2005 and later....  I'm skeptical.

#36 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:18 PM

I really have never read the post, but years ago the Orioles had some good beat guys.

@mikeghg

#37 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:08 AM

If you mean back in the 60's, I'll have to take your word for it.  If you're talking about 2005 and later....  I'm skeptical.

I really have never read the post, but years ago the Orioles had some good beat guys.

Boswell, Richard Justice, Shirley Povich, Dave Sheinin were outstanding writers covering Baseball. Some where around with the Senators, but some came later on during the Orioles only years.

Heck, Sally Jenkins was National Top Sports Report for 4  years from 2001-2011

B-Sun never ever had anybody as good, IMO

They had some decent guys over the years, here and there.

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:27 AM

The sports reporters in this town are horrible. Even the ones who can write a little are far more concerned over being friends with the team than doing any journalism.

#39 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:36 AM

Boswell, Richard Justice, Shirley Povich, Dave Sheinin were outstanding writers covering Baseball. Some where around with the Senators, but some came later on during the Orioles only years.

Yeah, those people are all really good, but none of them were Orioles beat reporters in 2005 or later like you originally said.  I definitely agree that the Washington Post had better writers covering the Orioles, but that more or less stopped once the Nats came along.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 08:47 AM

Kurkijan, Strauss, Olney, Rosenthal (wasn't beat, but still... )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=