#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 February 2021 - 12:20 PM

Maryland will have had a full week off by the time they play Michigan State on Sunday afternoon, while the Spartans will have played two games during that time span. Tom Izzo's team currently holds a 12-9 (6-9) record, and have won 3 of their last 5 games including a big win over #5 Illinois on Tuesday night. They'll play #4 Ohio State on Thursday night before travelling to College Park.

KenPom currently ranks the Spartans as the #64 team in the country, while the Terps come in at #31.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLRoseKatz like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 February 2021 - 12:59 PM

Said this in the Rutgers thread but it feels like for the best if MSU is on a hot streak going into this game

Either Maryland gets credit for stopping an MSU team going on its typical late-season hot streak or they don't get particularly punished for losing to a team that already won at IU on the road and beat Illinois 

• BSLZackKiesel and Mike B like this

she/her

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:02 PM

Said this in the Rutgers thread but it feels like for the best if MSU is on a hot streak going into this game

Either Maryland gets credit for stopping an MSU team going on its typical late-season hot streak or they don't get particularly punished for losing to a team that already won at IU on the road and beat Illinois 

Agreed, but I much prefer option 1. :-P

@mikeghg

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:16 PM

I know there's still 3 big games to go, but when was the last time a Maryland team felt like they were actually getting stronger heading into the month of March? Even with all their success last season they lost 3 of their last 5 games, and that's been a pattern for Turgeon-led teams (which probably lends itself to why his teams have never played in a conference tournament championship game).

@BSLZackKiesel

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:25 PM

I know there's still 3 big games to go, but when was the last time a Maryland team felt like they were actually getting stronger heading into the month of March? Even with all their success last season they lost 3 of their last 5 games, and that's been a pattern for Turgeon-led teams (which probably lends itself to why his teams have never played in a conference tournament championship game).

My sons and I were talking about it on Sunday.  I am not sure late season improvemnt has happened before in the Turgeon era.

I think a lot of it stems from Ayala and Wiggins.  They are a legitimate back court duo.  They need to stay aggressive.

@mikeghg

#6 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 February 2021 - 03:26 PM

Last four years, last five regular season games Screen-Shot-2021-02-24-at-3-26-07-PM.png

• Mashed Potatoes and Mike B like this

she/her

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 February 2021 - 03:47 PM

Last four years, last five regular season games Screen-Shot-2021-02-24-at-3-26-07-PM.png

A combined 10-10.  About what it felt like.  It would be nice to drop a 5-0 this year.

@mikeghg

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 February 2021 - 03:57 PM

Actually the 10-10 record is made worse, because of the dismal B10 tourney showing.

1-4.   No tourney last year but game 1 knockouts in 3 of the 4 years.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this
@mikeghg

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:45 PM

Their first Big Ten season (2014-15) is the last time they finished strong, won their last 7 regular season games. And of course they lost in the BTT semifinals and the NCAAT Round of 32 that year.

@BSLZackKiesel

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:31 PM

I have a bad feeling about this game.

You generally want to avoid Tom Izzo in late February/March.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:12 PM

I have a bad feeling about this game.

You generally want to avoid Tom Izzo in late February/March.

Yea maybe, and anytime Turgeon squares off against a coach like Izzo, I feel we are at a disadvantage, but MSU will have played 2 high pressure games this week.  Maryland has had a week to rest and prerpare.  Get it done Terps and you are dancing.

@mikeghg

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:51 PM

I'm worried about this game to be sure. I was a few weeks ago, before MSU heated up. The good thing is, this is basically a play-in game at this point IMO. Win this one, and you're in (barring a total collapse).

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:35 PM

In a good game in East Lansing, Michigan St is trailing Ohio State 49-40 with 13 minutes left. Northwestern is beating Minnesota 39-33 as the Gophers try everything possible to make that sweep look as unimpressive as possible.

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:57 PM

In a good game in East Lansing, Michigan St is trailing Ohio State 49-40 with 13 minutes left. Northwestern is beating Minnesota 39-33 as the Gophers try everything possible to make that sweep look as unimpressive as possible.

They’re neck and neck with 6 minutes left. Regardless of the final outcome, Izzo has his guys playing. It’s gonna be a dogfight Sunday afternoon.
@BSLZackKiesel

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:20 PM

Michigan State will be coming to College Park red hot after this one. But I'd rather them come in having won this game than having lost it. Two days rest, after a huge win, coming to Maryland. Gotta hope they're a little flat, because if they play like this, MD won't have a chance.

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:22 PM

Spartans win, 71-67. That’s two top-5 wins in the span of three days for them.
@BSLZackKiesel

#17 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:44 PM

Everything is going as planned

she/her

#18 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:46 PM

On Tuesday, @MSU_Basketball beat No. 5 Illinois. Today, they beat No. 4 Ohio State.

They're the first team to beat two AP Top 5 opponents in a span of 3 days in the regular season since Ball State took down No. 4 Kansas & No. 3 UCLA on back-to-back days in November 2001 in Maui.

she/her

#19 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:58 PM

We ain’t winning this game. Sorry guys.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#20 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:44 AM

I'm worried about this game to be sure. I was a few weeks ago, before MSU heated up. The good thing is, this is basically a play-in game at this point IMO. Win this one, and you're in (barring a total collapse).

Even with a "total collapse", I think if MD wins this, they're pretty much in.  They're not even really on the bubble at this point.  You beat MSU after the week that they've had, I think even losing their final 2 and then the 1st round of the Big 10 tournament and they'd probably still be safe.

Of course, it would be better to just keep winning and not worry about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=