Photo

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Ravens RB Jamal Lewis deserves more Hall of Fame support

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:45 AM

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Ravens RB Jamal Lewis deserves more Hall of Fame support

https://www.baltimor...i6gy-story.html

Loved Jamal. One of my very favorite Ravens of All-Time.

#2 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:43 AM

Loved him too. But he’s not a HOFer. Think he’s firmly in the next tier with your Corey Dillion, Eddie George, Shaun Alexander, and the like.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:51 AM

I'm still convinced the Ravens repeat in 2001 if he doesn't have his knee injury.

• NewMarketSean and Huddle It Up Films like this

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:52 AM

Loved him too. But he’s not a HOFer. Think he’s firmly in the next tier with your Corey Dillion, Eddie George, Shaun Alexander, and the like.

Have to agree. Just not enough big years. 

I'll never understand why he had 47 receptions in '02, and never even had that many targets in any other year.

He also could have been more productive if the Ravens could have put any offense around him, and defenses weren't able to just stack the box against him. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:15 AM

https://www.baltimor...i6gy-story.html

Loved Jamal. One of my very favorite Ravens of All-Time.

I loved watching Jamal do his thing every Sunday, and his big game against Cleveland was one of the greatest performance I have ever seen, but I don't think he stayed long enough to be a HOF guy.  

@mikeghg

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:17 AM

I'm still convinced the Ravens repeat in 2001 if he doesn't have his knee injury.

I agree.  It would have fun to see him and Searcy be able to stay healthy.  RT and RB were a problem that entire year.  Frankly, I think if they stay healthy, Elvis may have been a Raven a lot longer than his one year.

@mikeghg

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:44 AM

I think the jail time cost him. Not because of that, but because of the valuable time missed in the RB life cycle. One of my all time favorites. Just by random total luck, I happened to be at the 295 yard Cleveland game. That was surreal.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:59 AM

I think the jail time cost him. Not because of that, but because of the valuable time missed in the RB life cycle. One of my all time favorites. Just by random total luck, I happened to be at the 295 yard Cleveland game. That was surreal.

That was actually one game I missed.  I had traveled to the UK for work that weekend, and it was missed.  

My buddy Brian and I were in the UK offices that Monday reading about the game, and couldn't believe we didn't see it live.

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:08 PM

That was actually one game I missed. I had traveled to the UK for work that weekend, and it was missed.
My buddy Brian and I were in the UK offices that Monday reading about the game, and couldn't believe we didn't see it live.

I was 18 and was lucky to make it to one game a year. Prices were steep just a couple years removed from the Super Bowl, and the Cleveland game was the one game that wasn't absurdly expensive. Just total dumb luck. Also, was 2nd to last row upstairs. Didn't matter. What a great experience.

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:55 PM

I was there too.  I remember it being very hot in the upper deck that day.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:18 PM

I was there too.  I remember it being very hot in the upper deck that day.

My seats are in the upper deck and there have been many hot September games and that was one of them.  I remember a number of things about that game.

The first was listening to the pre-game driving to the Stadium and hearing the announcers talking about how Jamal thought he was going to break the all time single game rushing record.  He called his shot.

The second was, that Brian took him out fairly early in the 4th Q.  I was not happy because I thought 300 was one of those magic numbers.

And I am pretty sure, he had a long run called back.   It was an amazing game.

• You Play to Win the Game and Huddle It Up Films like this
@mikeghg

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:41 PM

My seats are in the upper deck and there have been many hot September games and that was one of them. I remember a number of things about that game.
The first was listening to the pre-game driving to the Stadium and hearing the announcers talking about how Jamal thought he was going to break the all time single game rushing record. He called his shot.
The second was, that Brian took him out fairly early in the 4th Q. I was not happy because I thought 300 was one of those magic numbers.
And I am pretty sure, he had a long run called back. It was an amazing game.

The boos were plentiful. Billick was practically public enemy #1 walking out of that stadium lol.
  • BSLJamieSieck likes this

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:43 PM

The boos were plentiful. Billick was practically public enemy #1 walking out of that stadium lol.

I understood his reasoning, but damn, just 5 yards away?

@mikeghg

#14 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:55 PM

Imagine what he would've done with a competent passing game. He rushed for 2000 with a rookie Kyle Boller as QB and we won the Division. He did have a defense that kept giving us the ball. And yes, 2001 will always be a what could've been.

I've always liked how appreciative Jamal has been post career of the Ravens. I remember seeing he was the first one to accept the reunion invite. Also love his story about how he never wanted to be tackled as a kid because the field was just hard dirt, broken glass etc. Reminds me of playing football and baseball growing up where I live. Other teams hated playing here. You had to not GAF to compete at our level.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:23 PM

Grbac had checked out of football. I dont think we were winning anything with him in '01.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:25 PM

Grbac had checked out of football. I dont think we were winning anything with him in '01.

Still kind of crazy. He has that big Pro Bowl year with KC... comes here...  has a rough year, and hangs it up after being released. Was still young.

• Huddle It Up Films likes this

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:36 PM

His tenure here was ceratinly strange, but if Jamal is healthy and Searcy is at RT, things would have been easier.

@mikeghg

#18 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:42 PM

I tend to agree.  I remember an interview with a KC reporter that the WBAL host of their nightly 6pm sports talk show had right after the Ravens acquired Grbac.  The host's name may have been Jeff Rimer.  Not sure on that but I remember he was a big Hockey fan.  Anyway the KC reporter said there were a lot of people in the KC organization that weren't exactly sorry to see him go.  He made Grbac out to be someone who was not a great locker room guy, and did not have much respect among his teammates.  He said that Baltimore may very well figure out why KC was so willing to let him go despite being a pro bowler.

Flash forward to the game at home against Cleveland.  I don't go to very many games, but I was at that one.  That was the game Grbac cried on the sideline.  He also threw like 4 interceptions and had the ball stripped from him.  There was also a play in that game where Grbac took a sack, and JO walked right by him lying on the ground and then ripped his helmet off in disgust on the way to the sideline.  I can't ever remember a lineman not willing to help his quarterback up.  And especially a guy like Ogden.  Spoke volumes of how the team regarded Grbac.  I agree that the Ravens weren't going to win anything with him.  

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:46 PM

That team did win a playoff game. RB had the combo, but was an issue. Couldn't set up a play action game. Not only had they lost Jamal, but had also lost Priest.

#20 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:24 PM

I agree. It would have fun to see him and Searcy be able to stay healthy. RT and RB were a problem that entire year. Frankly, I think if they stay healthy, Elvis may have been a Raven a lot longer than his one year.

Leon Searcy ripping his triceps and never playing a snap for the Ravens is maybe the unluckiest thing that's ever happened to the franchise. RT wasn't just a problem in '01, it dogged us for years. We got treated to such stars as Kipp Vickers, "Turnstile" Tony Pashos, O'Neil Cousins, Ethan Brooks, etc.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=