#41 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 February 2021 - 01:44 PM

Steve, you do agree with the bolded.  It stated that the Orioles don't have some secret formula for development and scouting that other teams lack.  If you disagree with the bolded, you're saying that the Orioles are now smarter than everyone else and will have a leg up in regards to scouting, drafting, and developing talent.

Your point about budget is unrelated, though accurate.  Extra budget capability allows for lots of margin for error.  You can make riskier signings since a bad contract doesn't cripple you and you can use cash to patch holes and fix mistakes.

Maybe its semantics. But the extra budget allows a team to take risks others can't. And the budget to move on when that risk fails. To me that is a part of the overall process. And that's not to mention that more overall budget can be used for more scouting. More analysts etc. That makes thing teams like the Yankees and Red Sox different. Now maybe they all do pretty much the same thing its just that some teams do more of it.

#42 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:32 PM

Maybe its semantics. But the extra budget allows a team to take risks others can't. And the budget to move on when that risk fails. To me that is a part of the overall process. And that's not to mention that more overall budget can be used for more scouting. More analysts etc. That makes thing teams like the Yankees and Red Sox different. Now maybe they all do pretty much the same thing its just that some teams do more of it.

Payroll is in no way connected to what I commented on. You're mostly talking about free agent spending, with your risk and failure comment. A friend of a friend is a scout for the Chicago Bears. I realize football isn't baseball, but this aspect of both sports is comparable. Scouts aren't multi-millionaires. The person I'm referring to makes a decent living, but he doesn't live in a palatial estate. And NFL scouts earn more than MLB scouts. For context, we're talking about those who scout high school players, and the like. The median salary of those scouts is $32K. But even advanced scouts, those who scout MiLB players in other teams' systems, don't earn all that much. It's in the $58K range. But this conversation doesn't include them, since we're talking about acquiring players who are not yet professionals. All teams can afford as big of a scouting department as they wish. Some dedicate more money than others. But no team is too financially strapped to afford a larger investment to that aspect of their system. If a franchise can't afford an army of people at $32K each, they're doing something wrong with their money. So, your assertion that the wealthier teams have a financial advantage, with regard to scouting, doesn't hold up. And player development is the same. Some teams invest more than others, but no team is unable to afford everything they want/need in that area.      

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#43 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 February 2021 - 04:29 PM

Payroll is in no way connected to what I commented on. You're mostly talking about free agent spending, with your risk and failure comment. A friend of a friend is a scout for the Chicago Bears. I realize football isn't baseball, but this aspect of both sports is comparable. Scouts aren't multi-millionaires. The person I'm referring to makes a decent living, but he doesn't live in a palatial estate. And NFL scouts earn more than MLB scouts. For context, we're talking about those who scout high school players, and the like. The median salary of those scouts is $32K. But even advanced scouts, those who scout MiLB players in other teams' systems, don't earn all that much. It's in the $58K range. But this conversation doesn't include them, since we're talking about acquiring players who are not yet professionals. All teams can afford as big of a scouting department as they wish. Some dedicate more money than others. But no team is too financially strapped to afford a larger investment to that aspect of their system. If a franchise can't afford an army of people at $32K each, they're doing something wrong with their money. So, your assertion that the wealthier teams have a financial advantage, with regard to scouting, doesn't hold up. And player development is the same. Some teams invest more than others, but no team is unable to afford everything they want/need in that area.      

Ok but that doesn't mean that the Yankees couldn't spend more (a lot more) than the O's on scouting and development IF they chose to. Besides what does that have to do with my point? Not sure how payroll isn't a major part of what teams do???? 

#44 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 04:33 PM

Weird-O:  I don't think the Orioles have some kind of magic formula that makes them smarter than other teams.

BSLSteve:  I disagree with you, because the Yankees have a lot of money.

Nigel Tufnel:  Huh?

• Mackus, dude and weird-O like this

#45 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:00 PM

Weird-O:  I don't think the Orioles have some kind of magic formula that makes them smarter than other teams.

BSLSteve:  I disagree with you, because the Yankees have a lot of money.

Nigel Tufnel:  Huh?

<<limits to one like>>

#46 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:21 PM

Those conditions will change now.  Lindor will be the face of the NYM for the next decade+.  That leaves Seager as the next best guy out there and I don't see any way the Dodgers let him walk now.

Lindor reported to sign 10/341 with the Mets.  First domino.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=