LJ the Thrower- OL Pass Pro

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:56 AM

Put this together to show some of my favorite Lamar throws from the pocket. It also gives you a good idea of how the passing game functions as well as how the OLinemen handle pass protection. I'll be doing another one in the near future featuring his throws on the move. 

Stanley is a beast, can't wait until he's fully healthy. Also notice Lamar's helmet as he goes through progressions. His placement in avoiding getting his receivers blown up is very noticeable too. Part of why I believe Lamar is naturally accurate. He can still improve on footwork and arm mechanics. I included some sky cam angles but this is mostly end zone view.

• You Play to Win the Game, The Epic, JordanKough and 3 others like this

#2 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 16 February 2021 - 03:42 PM

Nice work.

With the stat circulating about our pass catchers having a pretty high drop percentage, I think the passing offense cane improve greatly by simply maximizing opportunities.

Since, in all likelihood, LJ is going to be the man around here for the next 5 years or so, the organization needs to focus on getting guys with good hands onto the roster and into the offense.

For starters, Proche and Duvernay both have excellent hands, they need to see more of the field next year.
  • Huddle It Up Films likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:53 PM

Video isn't working for me, but will come back. The videos/comments about the drop rates have definitely been making the rounds lately. Andrews' drops are especially disconcerting, as (outside of the playoffs) I thought the perception was that he was rather sure-handed.

Real shocked that DD didn't see more of the field last year. Wonder what that was about. 

• You Play to Win the Game and Huddle It Up Films like this

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 February 2021 - 06:43 PM

Outside of the OLine, TE's and 1st round draft picks, Harbs doesn't do well developing offensive talent. JKD would've had a similar snap count had Ingram been fully healthy and/or effective. But given how bad the receivers were, I'm shocked they didn't force the issue more there. You can see the talent and the speed.

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:26 PM

Like that play concept against the Giants where Lamar sprints for a couple steps to his right before settling up for a pass. I think a little extension of that could really catch a defense cheating. If defenders read the O-line they can see it's not a designed run because they are pass blocking. Plus only the two steps doesn't sell it long enough. 

Have the O-line crash right like it's a run, and Lamar sprint 5 or 6 steps. One of the speedy receivers lined up wide right runs a shallow cross over the middle. Lamar hits him before it is too risky of a throw against the grain. The whole defense is going one way and the receiver going the other...Should be nothing but green in front. It'd be like a spin on the running back "jump pass".

• You Play to Win the Game, PrimeTime and Huddle It Up Films like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#6 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:48 PM

Like that play concept against the Giants where Lamar sprints for a couple steps to his right before settling up for a pass. I think a little extension of that could really catch a defense cheating. If defenders read the O-line they can see it's not a designed run because they are pass blocking. Plus only the two steps doesn't sell it long enough. 

Have the O-line crash right like it's a run, and Lamar sprint 5 or 6 steps. One of the speedy receivers lined up wide right runs a shallow cross over the middle. Lamar hits him before it is too risky of a throw against the grain. The whole defense is going one way and the receiver going the other...Should be nothing but green in front. It'd be like a spin on the running back "jump pass".

And Mike I could've sworn we did something like that at least one other time. I wanna say Lamar was late with the throw and the WR couldn't make the play (right corner of end zone?). But overall yes, I think we can build off of this pass game even with Roman. There were about 50 more short/easy passes I cut out. 

Also, I swear I could jump the snap vs the Ravens. Would like to see creativity there especially since we're false starting anyway. The motion and Lamar's hands give it away. If you watch both, maybe you'll see what I'm seeing.

EDIT: I rewatched and realized how much pre snap I had to cut out. So you can't tell in the video. I stand by the statement though. Somebody goes in motion and depending on how high Lamar's hands are you can guess when the ball will be snapped

• Mike in STL likes this

#7 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:51 PM

Video isn't working for me, but will come back. The videos/comments about the drop rates have definitely been making the rounds lately. Andrews' drops are especially disconcerting, as (outside of the playoffs) I thought the perception was that he was rather sure-handed.

Real shocked that DD didn't see more of the field last year. Wonder what that was about. 

I feel foolish for believing the coaches were saving him for late in the season. I asked a stat guy to run numbers on his yards per touch vs others with limited touches and sure enough he was second to Andre Roberts with about 15 yards per.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:54 PM

I feel foolish for believing the coaches were saving him for late in the season. I asked a stat guy to run numbers on his yards per touch vs others with limited touches and sure enough he was second to Andre Roberts with about 15 yards per.

You just can't trust them with the WR position. The sample size is huge, and it's over multiple regimes. I thought it might be better with an elite QB, but it really hasn't been. And yes, I know Lamar isn't a "field general" passing QB type, but i've seen so many other teams with mobile QB's, whose receivers get open as plays develop. That doesn't happen here, and it's maddening. I don't get it.

#9 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:05 PM

You just can't trust them with the WR position. The sample size is huge, and it's over multiple regimes. I thought it might be better with an elite QB, but it really hasn't been. And yes, I know Lamar isn't a "field general" passing QB type, but i've seen so many other teams with mobile QB's, whose receivers get open as plays develop. That doesn't happen here, and it's maddening. I don't get it.

Agreed. That's why I want to bite the bullet and pay for a proven vet WR. Someone we paid enough to, for him to have to be targeted. I'm trying to hold out hope with the new college coaches that were brought in. Maybe they're more in touch with the players or are just better coaches.

The personnel decisions really got to me this year. Sticking with Skura. Forcing Phillips in over Powers and then Fluker. Duvernay and Proche. TCC in the playoff loss. We questioned them all as they were happening, not in retrospect. I bet we were right about some if not all. Harbaugh reminds me of Buck with his stubbornness. Good for the long haul but damn I really think it cost us in that Buffalo game.

Also, Hollywood is ready to take off if we add a threat on the opposite side. I cringe at his avoiding contact and catch radius but his route running is pretty freakin awesome. So quick and sharp.

#10 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:57 AM

And Mike I could've sworn we did something like that at least one other time. 

We did this in the Titans game where Lamar underthrew Andrews. And we did it in the Buffalo game last year when the OL just crapped the bed, but Brown was open deep. I'm sure there have been others. 

But RPO-style runs in a zone blocking look could relaly be devastating for this team if they could find a way to work them in. 

#11 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:08 AM

Like can you imagine something like that, out of pistol formation going to the right. Lamar can stay behind the RB on the fake, boot back, or just stop. He can run or he can hand the ball off to Dobbins. 

Has anyone done that kind of look with play action? With the QB trailing the RB to the same side instead of the naked boot out the back side? I wonder if there would be enough space. 

#12 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:10 AM

We did this in the Titans game where Lamar underthrew Andrews. And we did it in the Buffalo game last year when the OL just crapped the bed, but Brown was open deep. I'm sure there have been others. 

But RPO-style runs in a zone blocking look could relaly be devastating for this team if they could find a way to work them in. 

Thanks and yep I think that's the one I was thinking about. Around the right corner of the end zone. Late throw and Mark just missed picking it off of the defender's back.

I know you watch a lot of the film, did anything new stick out to you seeing all the pocket passes strung together?

#13 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:14 AM

Like can you imagine something like that, out of pistol formation going to the right. Lamar can stay behind the RB on the fake, boot back, or just stop. He can run or he can hand the ball off to Dobbins. 

Has anyone done that kind of look with play action? With the QB trailing the RB to the same side instead of the naked boot out the back side? I wonder if there would be enough space. 

Definitely! Hopefully the new coaches add stuff like this. Have you seen it on the college level?

I'm putting out another one tomorrow (probably) of Lamar's throws on the move and I swear he would be devastating in a Kubiak type offense. Defenders don't know what to do because of his legs. Lamar really understands throwing angles. He could play SS or 2B. Timing, body control, release point etc

#14 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:23 AM

So for me, it's all mechanics all day for Lamar. I think defenses are still giving him a few fits at times and he really gets in his head at times when reading defenses (pick 6 in Buffalo for example). 

He needs to clean up the mechanics so he doesn't have to think about them. There are a few throws where you can see him almost forcing himself to stay clean mechanically on these throws. The Bengals TD around 2 minutes really stood out to me in that sense. When he keeps his feet down, stays anchored, and uses his leg to help his tremendous arm he's best. 

If you're Baltimore, you really want him to spend all offseason continuing to work on mechanics, get cleaned up, get consistent, have it be a natural reaction. Then, when you get to TC, it's all about reading defenses and how you want to attack defenses. To me, this is where the OC's fail Lamar. In some ways, for now, just get a little bit simpler, for the sake of slowing things down. Our run game is so so so complex, I think it makes it difficult sometimes to get plays in quickly and give Lamar the time he needs for pre-snap reads. I think there might be a balance there, too. 

It's so hard to say, not being in the room. But Lamar looks like a QB that is still learning to keep his mechanics in check and to read defenses. Big strides in either area will go a long way for him to me. But giving him more time pre-snap at the LOS, I think, needs to be a priority for this team. 

#15 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 05:18 PM

So for me, it's all mechanics all day for Lamar. I think defenses are still giving him a few fits at times and he really gets in his head at times when reading defenses (pick 6 in Buffalo for example).

He needs to clean up the mechanics so he doesn't have to think about them. There are a few throws where you can see him almost forcing himself to stay clean mechanically on these throws. The Bengals TD around 2 minutes really stood out to me in that sense. When he keeps his feet down, stays anchored, and uses his leg to help his tremendous arm he's best.

If you're Baltimore, you really want him to spend all offseason continuing to work on mechanics, get cleaned up, get consistent, have it be a natural reaction. Then, when you get to TC, it's all about reading defenses and how you want to attack defenses. To me, this is where the OC's fail Lamar. In some ways, for now, just get a little bit simpler, for the sake of slowing things down. Our run game is so so so complex, I think it makes it difficult sometimes to get plays in quickly and give Lamar the time he needs for pre-snap reads. I think there might be a balance there, too.

It's so hard to say, not being in the room. But Lamar looks like a QB that is still learning to keep his mechanics in check and to read defenses. Big strides in either area will go a long way for him to me. But giving him more time pre-snap at the LOS, I think, needs to be a priority for this team.

It drives me insane seeing the offense consistently break the Huddle with only 10-12 seconds left. That gives Lamar and the center almost no time to make any adjustments.

If Lamar is your franchise guy, going into year 3 of the same offense, I feel like you should be able to give him some freedom at the line. Give him 20+ seconds to line up and read the defense. If he sees an issue with what was called, give him a chance to audible and take advantage.

Now, maybe Lamar isn't capable of that. It certainly isn't easy, and it is a very specific skillset that elite QBs tend to have. But at least play with it in training camp.

Sometimes Lamar lines up and the defense has the perfect alignment, and we have to force a run into the teeth for little, or no gain. I can't help but think Lamar could see a loaded front, and take complete advantage of it.

Another huge issue I have with the offense are the lack of called rollouts and moving pockets. We have potentially the most dangerous QB outside the pocket in the NFL, and we never use him that way. Very frustrating.

#16 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:02 AM

Here's the follow up. I categorized these as throws on the move. Many of them are scrambles but some are designed roll outs. I agree with those who think we need to move LJ around more, especially if Oline is a work in progress. Hope you enjoy and discuss anything you notice.

#17 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:27 AM

The Boyle TD is kind of what I mentioned earlier about PA to the strong side with the RB in front of him. Ditch the spin, no one is buying it and just let Lamar keep his eyes up field there. Thta's a tough play to defend. Hate hate hate, that they run it to the short side of the field. 

#18 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:30 AM

It drives me insane seeing the offense consistently break the Huddle with only 10-12 seconds left. That gives Lamar and the center almost no time to make any adjustments.

If Lamar is your franchise guy, going into year 3 of the same offense, I feel like you should be able to give him some freedom at the line. Give him 20+ seconds to line up and read the defense. If he sees an issue with what was called, give him a chance to audible and take advantage.

Especially since we do the most pre-snap motion in the league.

@DaKittenz

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:33 AM

Now, maybe Lamar isn't capable of that. It certainly isn't easy, and it is a very specific skillset that elite QBs tend to have. But at least play with it in training camp.

Sometimes Lamar lines up and the defense has the perfect alignment, and we have to force a run into the teeth for little, or no gain. I can't help but think Lamar could see a loaded front, and take complete advantage of it.

Another huge issue I have with the offense are the lack of called rollouts and moving pockets. We have potentially the most dangerous QB outside the pocket in the NFL, and we never use him that way. Very frustrating.

I agree with a lot of this.  The lateness of the calls getting to the huddle, seemed to be a bigger problem this year than last.  I think some of the issues you mentioned got cleaned up when Lamar came back from Covid.  He seemed like the 2019 Lamar again and the offense was rolling

I expect the Ravens to add more wrinkles to the offense in 2021.  Letting Lamar calls plays at the line is an interesting idea.  I almost wonder if not doing it is a Harbaugh thing.  People used to run Joe down because he rarely checked down.  We are now seeing the same thing with Lamar.  

@mikeghg

#20 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:52 AM

The Boyle TD is kind of what I mentioned earlier about PA to the strong side with the RB in front of him. Ditch the spin, no one is buying it and just let Lamar keep his eyes up field there. Thta's a tough play to defend. Hate hate hate, that they run it to the short side of the field. 

Understandably they want LJ rolling right; my only counter to that. But of course you're right here and they can call it from the left hash when it's spotted there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=