Mountcastle LF
Ruiz 3B
Sisco C
Valaika SS
Urias 2B
Cumberland DH
Nevin 1B

López RHP

Road game...but they are taking a few regulars.

@mikeghg

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:48 AM

I hope I am wrong, but I do not see DJ being more than a role player, who occassionally has a few hot streaks.

.809 OPS with a .193 avg last year makes him interesting.  There is power, there is an ability to get onbase. Doesn't have to hit for much average to be productive.  Think he could be a productive DH especially when he costs nothing.  

He could easily be out of the O's picture completely once Diaz is promoted... or maybe the O's trade Mancini, and there is a path for to stay part of the roster going forward. 

Will be interesting to see if he starts the year on one of those hot streaks. 

#43 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:13 PM

.809 OPS with a .193 avg last year makes him interesting.  There is power, there is an ability to get onbase. Doesn't have to hit for much average to be productive.  Think he could be a productive DH especially when he costs nothing.  

He could easily be out of the O's picture completely once Diaz is promoted... or maybe the O's trade Mancini, and there is a path for to stay part of the roster going forward. 

I suspect he gets a lot of spring at bats and maybe the month of April to make his case.  I am a defense first guy, so I would like to see Mullins, Hays and Santander in the outfield, and Mountcastle and Mancini, rotate between 1st and DH.  

The big advantage for DJ is the fact that he is a LH hitter.

@mikeghg

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:15 PM

I suspect he gets a lot of spring at bats and maybe the month of April to make his case.  I am a defense first guy, so I would like to see Mullins, Hays and Santander in the outfield, and Mountcastle and Mancini, rotate between 1st and DH.  

The big advantage for DJ is the fact that he is a LH hitter.

I think Hyde is a big fan of Mullins, so we might see that. 

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:19 PM

I think he'll get enough time for us to find out for sure, but I don't really trust that the power is there with DJ.  

It certainly was in his 2020 time and he had done it in 2019 in the minors in his half-season before floundering in Baltimore.  260 ISO in his month in Baltimore last year and in his half year at Norfolk in 2019.  We know about the changes to the ball where AAA started using the juiced MLB ball in 2019.  Prior to 2019, DJ only had a career ISO of about 160.  

If he's a 200+ ISO and can walk 12%+ of the time (the latter of which I do trust) then he only needs to hit .250 like he did in the minors to be an 800 OPS guy.  If the power falls a bit or the average falls a bit, he's a mid-700s guy and you're ok with that when it's free but not happy to pay for it from a weak RF or DH.  And if he's only a 150-160 ISO guy and he can't get up to 250 and instead is a 225ish hitter, then that falls off to a 700 OPS guy and he is unrosterable.

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:25 PM

I think Hyde is a big fan of Mullins, so we might see that. 

He loves Mullins in CF.  I thought at this time last year, Mullins was in his last stretch in the organization, but he has re-done his approach.  It sounds like he is analyzing his strengths and weakness, thus the dropping the RH at bats.

@mikeghg

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:26 PM

I think he's a .750 - .775 OPS guy, that's under contract through '24. 

(Arbitration eligible '22-'24.) 

I guess what I expect is that I think the O's are going to extend Mancini, and Stewart is going to be shown the door...  but definitely curious to see how it does play out.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:29 PM

He loves Mullins in CF.  I thought at this time last year, Mullins was in his last stretch in the organization, but he has re-done his approach.  It sounds like he is analyzing his strengths and weakness, thus the dropping the RH at bats.

Heard Elias the other day say he believes both Hays and Mullins are above-average defensive CF's... which I thought was important for the FO to reiterate in-terms of their feelings about Hays in CF. 

Overall, competition a good thing.

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:45 PM

Heard Elias the other day say he believes both Hays and Mullins are above-average defensive CF's... which I thought was important for the FO to reiterate in-terms of their feelings about Hays in CF. 

Overall, competition a good thing.

I think that is right.  I like our defensive strength up the middle this year.  At least 2nd, SS and CF.  Catcher depends on what Severino we get.

@mikeghg

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:06 PM

If you have mlb.tv you can watch the game today on the Phillies stream.

Must be nice to root for a team that actually broadcasts the spring training games.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:14 PM

DJ Stewart just took Nola deep.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#52 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:15 PM

I heart DJ Stewart

#53 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:46 PM

DJ Stewart just took Nola deep.

A nice way to start.

@mikeghg

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:47 PM

Jorge Lopez getting hit around in the first,

@mikeghg

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:55 PM

Lopez threw 39 pitches in the first inning.  That is a hell of a lot for the first time out.

gave up 2 runs.

@mikeghg

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:40 PM

Orioles and Phillies played to a 7 inning 4-4 tie.

Both Rule 5 guys got an inning.  Both scoreless although Sceroler allowed a hit and walked 2.  Wells allowed 1 walk.

Josh Rogers got 1/3 of an inning, recorded a K.  First time he has pitched since TJ surgery back in 2019.

@mikeghg

#57 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:49 PM

Jordan Westburg got in there defensively. Was really hoping he would get an at-bat but the lineup never got back around to him. Austin Hays had quite the day. Was nice to see him looking comfortable in the plate, but my heart skipped a beat when he got hit. Was close to a hand/wrist.

• BobPhelan and Mike B like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#58 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:32 PM

A tie? 

she/her

#59 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:38 PM

Jordan Westburg got in there defensively. Was really hoping he would get an at-bat but the lineup never got back around to him. Austin Hays had quite the day. Was nice to see him looking comfortable in the plate, but my heart skipped a beat when he got hit. Was close to a hand/wrist.

I don’t have MLB TV so could not see the game,  Did Hays leave the game?

@mikeghg

#60 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:14 AM

No, I think it ended up just grazing his elbow shield. In the clear, for now. 

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=