77 replies to this topic

#61 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:11 PM

I don't think it matters if Brown is better than Stanley.  They've already given Stanley LT money.  They can't move him to RT and pay Brown LT money too.  That would be overpaying for the combination of those two spots.  The Ravens aren't financially foolish so they aren't going to do that.  My guess is, unless he has a change of heart, they will work the phones, hold off as long as possible, then accommodate him for the best offer.  

#62 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 07:09 AM

How sure are we that Brown isn't better than Stanley?

Well, in '18 and '19, Stanley gave up a total of 28 pressures (including only 3 sacks.) in around 2200 snaps.

In '19 and '20, Brown gave up 49 pressures and 6 sacks, in a similar amount of snaps.

Hell, in '20 alone, as just the LT, he gave up 18 total pressures (0 sacks though).

I think the numbers, and the eye test show Stanley is by far the better pass blocker. And I'm not sure Brown is really any better than Stanley as a run blocker either. In '19 Stanley only gave up 10 total pressures all season. Only 1 sack and 1 QB hit. Those are elite numbers.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#63 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 12:05 PM

There was, I think, a Sun article yesterday giving hypothetical trade scenarios. One mentioned was trade to JAX in exchange for D.J. Chark. 

I think trading Brown for Chark and Pick #65 would be interesting. Chark checks the box of big WR, without the need to use a draft pick on a rookie when you're all-in for a title this year. Or spending big money on Golladay, Godwin, Robinson II, in a tight cap year who all come with question marks of their own. 

Chark would run $2.1M against the cap, can try to extend him after a prove it year in 2021. 

Both Brown and Chark in the same contract year. Would ask at least the #65 in return given Brown's 2 Pro Bowls and the more valuable position.

@BSLMikeRandall

#64 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 February 2021 - 12:53 PM

There was, I think, a Sun article yesterday giving hypothetical trade scenarios. One mentioned was trade to JAX in exchange for D.J. Chark.

I think trading Brown for Chark and Pick #65 would be interesting. Chark checks the box of big WR, without the need to use a draft pick on a rookie when you're all-in for a title this year. Or spending big money on Golladay, Godwin, Robinson II, in a tight cap year who all come with question marks of their own.

Chark would run $2.1M against the cap, can try to extend him after a prove it year in 2021.

Both Brown and Chark in the same contract year. Would ask at least the #65 in return given Brown's 2 Pro Bowls and the more valuable position.

I haven't even really entertained a player for player swap as I was more in the mode of getting draft equity. Definitely intriguing. Especially considering Jacksonville is about to draft their (hopeful) franchise QB it makes perfect sense that they'd be looking for inside protection.

Given that scenario, they may be ripe to overpay for Zeus Jr's services.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#65 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 February 2021 - 12:55 PM

Regardless of what goes down with Brown, the Ravens have to make Oline upgrades a priority. Even if that means eschewing a WR or even edge rusher in the early rounds. If we can protect and run block (and, well, snap the ball cleanly) the offense can flourish without significant skill upgrades, IMO.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#66 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:10 PM

Regardless of what goes down with Brown, the Ravens have to make Oline upgrades a priority. Even if that means eschewing a WR or even edge rusher in the early rounds. If we can protect and run block (and, well, snap the ball cleanly) the offense can flourish without significant skill upgrades, IMO.

Agreed. OL is the top priority on offense. If Boykin starts again next year Im fine with that.

#67 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:11 PM

If we're looking WR, I think I'd rather hit up Minnesota and see what they would do for Thielan. Chark is more of a downfield type WR. I'd rather get the underneath/intermediate possession threat.

#68 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:33 PM

I have no confidence that Chark would flourish here, and no confidence that they wouldn't get better value with a first round pick, especially after next year.

They should be dealing Brown for a pick that could replace him as well as another pick to upgrade the roster. I'd far prefer that over Chark.

I would rather invest dollars in Golladay or Godwin than give up potential first rounders.

#69 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:41 PM

If we're looking WR, I think I'd rather hit up Minnesota and see what they would do for Thielan. Chark is more of a downfield type WR. I'd rather get the underneath/intermediate possession threat.

I was hoping they'd make a play for Diggs last year. Instead he went to Buffalo and we saw how that turned out.

#70 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 08:41 PM

I would rather invest dollars in Golladay or Godwin than give up potential first rounders.

I think both of those guys will require both picks and cash.

#71 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 11:27 PM

A true number one WR is going to cost both picks and money.  But I believe if the Ravens don't pull the trigger on that, they will keep doing what they have been doing the last 3 years.  They will run all over the weaker teams on their schedule, then get to the playoffs and get shut down by somebody who is a step up in competition and decides to do what Buffalo did and sell out on the run.  

The Ravens won't get to a SB by just being a running team.  They have not proven that when the opposition shuts the run down that they can respond.  Three points against a Buffalo defense that was not really that good.  Buffalo gave up 38 to KC the next week.  They gave up 24 to the Colts the week before.  They held the Ravens to 3 points because they knew the Ravens had no passing game.  The weather conditions were not good, but that's just an excuse.  If the Ravens are going to go deeper in the playoffs, they need to be able to beat good teams with a passing game.  

If you believe that Jackson is the franchise QB, then you at least owe him a good WR group.  Brown is decent, actually came on during the second half of the season.  Boykin is a joke.  He is a depth receiver at best.  If Snead leaves in FA, the Ravens have no real reliable target for Jackson outside of their TE, Andrews.  Jackson needs a reliable, number one receiver.  Until then, good teams with good DC's will just keep doing the same thing to the Ravens in the playoffs.  

#72 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 12:43 AM

I think both of those guys will require both picks and cash.

I agree, but probably not 1st rounders.

#73 RiversMcCown

RiversMcCown

All-Star

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:31 AM

BSL: If The Ravens Get A Fair Offer; They Should Move On From Orlando Brown
https://baltimorespo...-orlando-brown/

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLMikeLowe and PrimeTime like this

#74 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:58 AM

BSL: If The Ravens Get A Fair Offer; They Should Move On From Orlando Brown
https://baltimorespo...-orlando-brown/

Great article and I agree 110%. In a perfect world, Brown would be fine on the right side and the Ravens would have bookend tackles for a serious run in 2021. And of course, the Ravens don't have to deal Brown. However, you run the risk of having a disgruntled and unmotivated player if you don't so it absolutely behooves the organization to move Zeus. With that said, you have to maximize his value so that you either (a) fill another weak spot on the roster or (b) acquire draft capital to bring in cheaper talent.

Either way, I believe the Ravens are absolutely dealing from a position of strengrh.
@primetime667083

#75 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:30 AM

Great article and I agree 110%. In a perfect world, Brown would be fine on the right side and the Ravens would have bookend tackles for a serious run in 2021. And of course, the Ravens don't have to deal Brown. However, you run the risk of having a disgruntled and unmotivated player if you don't so it absolutely behooves the organization to move Zeus. With that said, you have to maximize his value so that you either (a) fill another weak spot on the roster or (b) acquire draft capital to bring in cheaper talent.

Either way, I believe the Ravens are absolutely dealing from a position of strengrh.

If a trade happens it needs to be before the start of FA so they know what will be available. Now the team trading for him will wait until the draft after seeing he's their best option than what's on the board. But that keeps the Ravens options smaller in terms of vets who get released after the draft.

#76 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:38 AM

Even if he were gruntled and motivated, he'd be very expensive to extend and the Ravens are running out of additional guys they can pay. A top QB, LT, and CB are already locked in and will be eating about 30-40% of the cap moving forward. You can pay some other guys, but you've gotta be selective. No issue from me if they selected to also pay the RT, but I also am completely on board with turning him into other players to help elsewhere or high picks to keep costs down.

Ideally he'd contentedly play RT this year then we could tag and trade him for a good haul after the season. That's my preferred route. But dealing him now for even more is also fine. Just gotta find the right offer.

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:14 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens offseason roundtable: Answering big questions about Orlando Brown Jr., free agency, the draft and more

#78 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

I think the Ravens need to first figure out the Orlando Brown saga or act to bolster the tackle position.  FWIW, Rick Wagner, was released by the Packers yesterday.

IMO, he would be an upgrade on what we used on the right side after Brown switched to replace Stanley.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=