Orlando Brown requests trade

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:02 AM

Right. I don't think any of this is any sort of a heel turn, more than just a man motivated by being great and getting paid as such. He tried to make that clear on social media and he still caught a lot of crap for it, which I find odd.

Stanley is gonna be our left tackle for...yeesh, another 7 years, assuming health? He's gonna wonder "what if" his whole life unless he did something soon. No better time than now.

And his value may never be higher than it is now. So now's the perfect time to move on if he wasn't going to stay. The timing of everything may actually be a blessing.

• The Epic likes this

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:34 AM

Haven't been keeping up with the board very well so if this has been said already I apologize...

Zeus said it was his Dad's dream for him to play LT and be better at it than he was. I thanked him on twitter for explaining that because I really couldn't relate to why he'd want to leave. But that makes a lot more sense. And since he's speaking about his deceased father's wishes, I 100% take him at his word on that.

Only minor nitpick I'd have with Baby Zeus on the process of this is making it so public (I'm assuming his side is the leak on the official trade request). I think going to the Ravens quietly would put them in better position to deal from strength and get a better return. But only slightly, they're gonna have so many suitors that even if Brown was slamming his fist down saying he'd never play another down at RT, that the Ravens could get fair value. And I think fair value is pretty damn high.
  • You Play to Win the Game, The Epic and Huddle It Up Films like this

#43 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:36 AM

There's a big thread on this on RSR. Someone posted a writer saying the best offer is Jax pick at #33. It might take their 2nd first from the Rams & another pick. Like swapping their 3rd for our 3rd comp from Culley.

#44 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for clarifying why Mike, I do still disagree however. They may trade us a player with a larger base salary to actually lower their cap. Or they can get creative with the extension, manipulate the cap, take a 'not so bad' hit in 2021 and still solve LT for the foreseeable future.

He'd be able to demand a huge contract in 2022 with whatever team he wants if the team that trades for him doesn't extend him during the trade. Unless they tag him; going back to my game of tag reference earlier.

I get all that. I mentioned the team he goes to, should they extend him (99% likely they would try) would end up with probably a $1M cap hit this year. Brown pockets the big signing bonus. 

But I don't think this has to be contingent on the trade. Brown can't block the trade. Brown can't say I want to negotiate the extension before the trade is done. Maybe behind the scenes the Ravens and the team trading for him would have a gentleman's agreement that their offer is the best, the one the Ravens will take, but will inform Brown of the acquiring team's extension offer, give him and his agent, family, a window of time to mull it over. Informally everything is agreed upon unbeknownst to the public. Then the Ravens announce the trade. A couple days later the extension is announced to the public.

On the other hand if the Jets offer the Ravens the 2nd overall pick...click accept...pack your bags kid. Noting Brown can do about it. Have fun playing LT in exchange for never winning anything. I don't mean this in a mean way for Brown. Like Antoine said, this isn't some heel turn move. He's well within his rights, and on twitter I think he's shown nothing but gratitude toward the Ravens, and I'd wish him the best.  

• PrimeTime and Huddle It Up Films like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#45 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:14 AM

There's a big thread on this on RSR. Someone posted a writer saying the best offer is Jax pick at #33. It might take their 2nd first from the Rams & another pick. Like swapping their 3rd for our 3rd comp from Culley.

So you're saying...

Ravens get:

JAX 2nd round pick in 2021, #33 overall

JAX 1st round pick acquired from the Rams, #25 overall

JAX 3rd round pick in 2021, #65 overall

Jaguars get:

Orlando Brown

BAL 3rd round comp pick (something like #97-#100 overall?)

Interesting. I like the idea of the Ravens trading up in the first round this year so that #65 overall pick would certainly aid in that.

The pick value chart says #27 is worth 680. #65 is 265. = 945. Ravens could trade #27 and #65 and move up to #17. 

Picking at #17, #25, #33, #58

#33 is worth 580. That plus #27 is 1260. They could trade #27 and #33 and move up to #11. 

Picking at #11, #25, #58, #65 

Standing pat they would pick #25, #27, #33, #58, #65

@BSLMikeRandall

#46 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:19 AM

I got you now, thanks again Mike. Also forgot to mention that, reading between the lines, the news that he's been given permission to seek a trade equals negotiating a new contract with teams. But yes ultimately we hold the cards.

• Mike in STL likes this

#47 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:23 AM

If that JAX scenario is the case, looking at being able to draft 3 picks in the top 33. Getting 5 picks in the top 65. Pretty sweet deal in exchange for someone who expressed he would like to play somewhere else anyway. 

• PrimeTime likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:38 AM

#25, #33, and #65 for Zeus & 3rd comp would be a great haul, IMO.  I'm expecting a lot but that's more than I'm expecting.  

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:41 AM

I'm reading this as saying #25 over #33 and another pick or pick swap... not 25 and 33.  If it's 25 and 33, that would be amazing. 

• Mackus and Mike in STL like this

#50 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:57 AM

I'm reading this as saying #25 over #33 and another pick or pick swap... not 25 and 33.  If it's 25 and 33, that would be amazing. 

I would ask for #25 and #33 and #65. 

Jags RT Jawaan Taylor allowed a league high among all tackles, 58 pressures this year. Their LT Cam Robinson allowed the 8th most at 40. 

Hey Jags, don't want to protect Trevor Lawrence? Rather roll the dice on a LT on the draft? Good luck.

@BSLMikeRandall

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:22 PM

Mike mentioned the draft value chart before.  #25 and #33 is equivalent to #10.  Adding in the swap of #65 for the comp pick would increase the value to about the #8 overall pick.

• Mike in STL likes this

#52 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:22 PM

If someone were willing to part with a first AND second round pick for Zeus Jr, I wouldn't hesitate one second to close that deal. But as said elsewhere, it might be challenging to find another Bill O'Brien out there to make that deal with. :) I've said it before, but my eyes see him turn off the engine on plays a little too early for my liking... at least for someone that wants to be paid like a top 5 LT in the league. Couple that with a less elusive QB and I'm not as sold on his real world eliteness as most. Don't misinterpret, not saying he's bad or worthless, easily replaceable, etc.

If he had a little more Michael McCrary or Ray Lewis "go 110% through the whistle no matter what"... then my view would probably be different.

#53 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 03:14 PM

So you're saying...

Ravens get:

JAX 2nd round pick in 2021, #33 overall

JAX 1st round pick acquired from the Rams, #25 overall

JAX 3rd round pick in 2021, #65 overall

Jaguars get:

Orlando Brown

BAL 3rd round comp pick (something like #97-#100 overall?)

Interesting. I like the idea of the Ravens trading up in the first round this year so that #65 overall pick would certainly aid in that.

The pick value chart says #27 is worth 680. #65 is 265. = 945. Ravens could trade #27 and #65 and move up to #17. 

Picking at #17, #25, #33, #58

#33 is worth 580. That plus #27 is 1260. They could trade #27 and #33 and move up to #11. 

Picking at #11, #25, #58, #65 

Standing pat they would pick #25, #27, #33, #58, #65

No, I said a writer had said he heard the best offer Jax would do is #33. Then someone said how about #25 ( Rams) and swap 3rd rd picks. We'd get the 1st pick of the 3rd rd for the last.

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 February 2021 - 03:48 PM

No, I said a writer had said he heard the best offer Jax would do is #33. Then someone said how about #25 ( Rams) and swap 3rd rd picks. We'd get the 1st pick of the 3rd rd for the last.

The first round pick is enticing and if the Ravens were a middle of the pack team, I might say yes, but as it stands, I tell Orlando to play RT in 21 and then let him walk and get a 3.\

The second round offer is a hard pass, for me.

@mikeghg

#55 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:37 PM

How sure are we that Brown isn't better than Stanley?

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:39 PM

I like Brown's physicality (and current contract) better, but like Stanley's work ethic better. And Brown easier to move due to his current deal. 

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:07 PM

Irrelevant. Can't trade Stanley for cap reasons.

#58 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:25 PM

Oh wow. I hope the Ravens laughed and hung up the phone.

@BSLMikeRandall

#59 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:45 PM

Stanley is an outstanding pass blocker.
  • Mike B likes this

#60 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:53 PM

When they are both healthy, I think he clearly is.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=