77 replies to this topic

#21 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:32 PM

Seems like he pretty obviously has leverage. 

I'd quibble and say he's getting what he wants, but doing some because it's a win win for him and the team not because he's leveraged Baltimore into something. But if both parties wanted to play this the whole way down the line, the Ravens would easily win. He can't hold out all year because he woudln't accrue a service year. And if he stays and plays lazy, he'll never get the FA deal that reflects the value he'd at least have today, IMO. 

I guess you could argue his leverage is that teams will pay him no matter what even if he plays poorly next year. But that feels more risky to Brown than leverage. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#22 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:33 PM

If he’s traded the team taking him on doesn’t have to extend him. They likely would depending on what they give the Ravens in return. But for now he’s making the same amount he’d make here until his new team says otherwise. He doesn’t get to pick who we trade him to. That’s a no leverage situation.

His only leverage is a hold out. It maybe lowers his asking price in trade since teams would assume the Ravens don’t want to have him sitting at home when they could get something for him. But if you aren’t putting anything on tape in 2021, your 2022 market value goes down.

Exactly, and if he holds out, he doesn't accrue service and is a year away from getting paid.

All that being said, i agree with mackus in saying that Brown is totally within his rigths to demand this. And I have no problem with the way he's approaching it. It's smart and could get him what he wants and paid sooner. That's a win. I just don't think he's leveraged his way to doing so. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#23 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:37 PM

If he’s traded the team taking him on doesn’t have to extend him. They likely would depending on what they give the Ravens in return. But for now he’s making the same amount he’d make here until his new team says otherwise. He doesn’t get to pick who we trade him to. That’s a no leverage situation.

His only leverage is a hold out. It maybe lowers his asking price in trade since teams would assume the Ravens don’t want to have him sitting at home when they could get something for him. But if you aren’t putting anything on tape in 2021, your 2022 market value goes down.

I am sure I read on twitter from people who know these things that under the new CBA if you hold out you don't get service time, and there are large mandatory fines. So I don't think he has any leverage. His leverage is just, you'd rather roll with guys who want to be here, so they will probably trade him based on that, but I doubt they take just any lowball offer. With the way the OL is league wide there should be plenty of offers I'd hope.

• Mike in STL likes this

#24 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:45 PM

Exactly, and if he holds out, he doesn't accrue service and is a year away from getting paid.

All that being said, i agree with mackus in saying that Brown is totally within his rigths to demand this. And I have no problem with the way he's approaching it. It's smart and could get him what he wants and paid sooner. That's a win. I just don't think he's leveraged his way to doing so.

Sucks for the team. Had bookends to protect their franchise for at least 2 more years. Then one of the bookends gets something up there a$$ about what side they start on. I get it somewhat. But at the same time, I don't think he fully understands his situation. He's got one of the best organizations, with some of the best training facilities, on a superbowl caliber team. But if all he cares about is playing LT, so be it.

He has zero leverage. DeCosta and the Ravens just aren't jerks. Kid wants to be a LT, and he's the second best LT on this team at the moment. I'll be interested to see what gets offered. If it's a first, at this point, you have to take it. Maybe sign Scherff to play RT? If they trade Brown, they have to sign or draft someone early on the right side. If DeCosta goes into next season with a combo of Fluker, Phillips and Mekari, we may as well plan on sitting out next January.

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:49 PM

I want more then just a 1st unless its top 10.

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:51 PM

Ravens should consider like a 2nd this year and taking a 2022 1st from a suspect team that could end up a top 10 pick

#27 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 05:35 PM

Ravens should consider like a 2nd this year and taking a 2022 1st from a suspect team that could end up a top 10 pick

Wouldn't rule out a player for player trade with picks as well. Maybe a scenario where Philly trades Wentz and gets another first. Maybe we can snag Ertz and the later 1st. Ertz is older, but he gives you a big, reliable target underneath. Roman seemed to really miss Hurst more than he, or anyone else thought he would. Adding another move TE with great hands and a knack for getting open and moving the chains would be a great idea. Plus another 1st, maybe in the early 20's.

Some other player targets could be Thielan from Minnesota or Gilmore from NE. Either gives you a premium player at a premium position.

Really DeCosta has a lot he could play with in trades. Brown being young, really good, and cheap adds a ton to his value as well.

#28 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 10 February 2021 - 06:27 PM

I think it's more the fact that there's a pretty strong "offensive line is a massive weakness for several teams" narrative, and he's just striking while the iron is hot.

I mean, it's true EVERY year, but I feel like with both the Super Bowl and Russell's complaining, it's getting more coverage than usual. 

I don't think any of this is sour grapes, nor does the team see it as such. He's taking advantage of the market while he can, like any person would do.

• sandiegosean likes this

#29 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 07:40 PM

He's made it clear he wants to be a left tackle.  I don't see this as much different than Hurst not wanting to be the second TE option.  I'm sure the Ravens will try to trade him because they generally don't like to deal with disgruntled players that mess up the team chemistry.  Whether they can get what they think is a good enough return remains to be seen.  But I do think they will ultimately trade him just because there isn't much they can promise him to keep him happy.  They aren't going to make him a LT on this team and they can't afford to pay him like one at RT.  

#30 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:46 AM

I think an agreement in principle on an extension is a must. Zeus signed long term brings back much more than Zeus one a one year rental and game of tag. For EDC to get the max value in return, Zeus would have to agree for an extension. I echo Stoner's thoughts on this.

#31 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:07 AM

Given that the Lamar extension is inevitable and we will likely see a big spike in his cap number in the near future, I say go for a draft pick haul for Zeus. That way, we can add the cheapest/highest upside talent through the draft.
  • Mike in STL likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:55 AM

I think an agreement in principle on an extension is a must. Zeus signed long term brings back much more than Zeus one a one year rental and game of tag. For EDC to get the max value in return, Zeus would have to agree for an extension. I echo Stoner's thoughts on this.

The lowered cap this year is going to have teams trying to squeeze under it. You're able to trade a team a Pro Bowl LT that only costs them $3.3M on in cap space in 2021, that should only increase the haul the Ravens get back. Even if it costs a team picking in the top 10 of this years draft their first round pick, that has a need at LT and would be looking to draft one, it's worth it for that team to get a proven commodity with that pick at that price, rather than a player you have to develop. Then if they want to extend him, it would lower the 2021 cap hit to maybe a $1M. You don't get value like that just anywhere. 

Other than the Jags taking Lawrence #1 overall, every draft pick should be in play for the Ravens. 

Might hate to trade him in the division. But the Bengals are going to want to protect Joe Burrow. Trade the Ravens the 5th overall pick + another pick this year, or two picks next year in exchange for Brown. I think that is an acceptable asking price. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:34 AM

The team trading for him will be extending him immediately, IMO.
  • Huddle It Up Films likes this

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:58 AM

The team trading for him will be extending him immediately, IMO.

If they were smart, yes.
@BSLMikeRandall

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:23 AM

Out of curiosity how much more do 2nd tier LTs make over the top tier RTs. Ive heard it said that good RTs are pretty much just as valuable as good LTs. Maybe that's not reflected in the pay but I kinda dont understand why its that big a big deal from a prestige perspective anymore.

#36 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:31 AM

Given that the Lamar extension is inevitable and we will likely see a big spike in his cap number in the near future, I say go for a draft pick haul for Zeus. That way, we can add the cheapest/highest upside talent through the draft.

I'd be happy with this approach too. Whatever deal they feel has the most value is what they should take whether it's purely draft picks or a player mixed in. Plugging a hole with a vet who they may want to restructure is good with me as well. Actually excited and anxious at this point.

#37 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:34 AM

Out of curiosity how much more do 2nd tier LTs make over the top tier RTs. Ive heard it said that good RTs are pretty much just as valuable as good RTs. Maybe that's not reflected in the pay but I kinda dont understand why its that big a big deal from a prestige perspective anymore.

AAV of the top 5 LTs is about $19.5M average. The next 5 is about $15M.
AAV of the top 5 RTs is about $14.5M. The next 5 is about $9.2M

LT is probably the more prestigious position when it comes to HOF and the like. He likely views himself as a top 5 LT and wants in the $20M AAV range.
@BSLMikeRandall

#38 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:42 AM

The lowered cap this year is going to have teams trying to squeeze under it. You're able to trade a team a Pro Bowl LT that only costs them $3.3M on in cap space in 2021, that should only increase the haul the Ravens get back. Even if it costs a team picking in the top 10 of this years draft their first round pick, that has a need at LT and would be looking to draft one, it's worth it for that team to get a proven commodity with that pick at that price, rather than a player you have to develop. Then if they want to extend him, it would lower the 2021 cap hit to maybe a $1M. You don't get value like that just anywhere. 

Other than the Jags taking Lawrence #1 overall, every draft pick should be in play for the Ravens. 

Might hate to trade him in the division. But the Bengals are going to want to protect Joe Burrow. Trade the Ravens the 5th overall pick + another pick this year, or two picks next year in exchange for Brown. I think that is an acceptable asking price. 

Thanks for clarifying why Mike, I do still disagree however. They may trade us a player with a larger base salary to actually lower their cap. Or they can get creative with the extension, manipulate the cap, take a 'not so bad' hit in 2021 and still solve LT for the foreseeable future.

He'd be able to demand a huge contract in 2022 with whatever team he wants if the team that trades for him doesn't extend him during the trade. Unless they tag him; going back to my game of tag reference earlier.

#39 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:46 AM

Out of curiosity how much more do 2nd tier LTs make over the top tier RTs. Ive heard it said that good RTs are pretty much just as valuable as good LTs. Maybe that's not reflected in the pay but I kinda dont understand why its that big a big deal from a prestige perspective anymore.

Haven't been keeping up with the board very well so if this has been said already I apologize...

Zeus said it was his Dad's dream for him to play LT and be better at it than he was. I thanked him on twitter for explaining that because I really couldn't relate to why he'd want to leave. But that makes a lot more sense. And since he's speaking about his deceased father's wishes, I 100% take him at his word on that. 

#40 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:54 AM

Haven't been keeping up with the board very well so if this has been said already I apologize...

Zeus said it was his Dad's dream for him to play LT and be better at it than he was. I thanked him on twitter for explaining that because I really couldn't relate to why he'd want to leave. But that makes a lot more sense. And since he's speaking about his deceased father's wishes, I 100% take him at his word on that. 

Right. I don't think any of this is any sort of a heel turn, more than just a man motivated by being great and getting paid as such. He tried to make that clear on social media and he still caught a lot of crap for it, which I find odd.

Stanley is gonna be our left tackle for...yeesh, another 7 years, assuming health? He's gonna wonder "what if" his whole life unless he did something soon. No better time than now.

• Huddle It Up Films likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=