Photo

Balt Sun:How MLB’s new COVID protocols could impact the rebuilding Orioles in 2021

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:44 AM

Balt Sun: How MLB’s new COVID protocols could impact the rebuilding Orioles in
https://www.baltimor...65mq-story.html

#2 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:33 AM

If they aren't able to have minor league seasons, it's absolutely going to prolong the rebuild. But players' safety should be the highest priority. Is it safe to assume pro athletes will be given some type of priority, once vaccine supplies get to the point where there are enough to inoculate the general public?  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2021 - 02:11 PM

I think another lost minor league season hurts a lot of teams and prospects.  I think for a guy like Rutschman the service time concerns go away and we see him in Baltimore at some point this year.  You do not want guys like him, going 2 years without playing a game.

Pitchers present a real issue.  Not throwing real innings for 2 years present all kinds of ramp up problems.  Teams will want to limit innings in the first year or two back.  Young careers are being shortened and in some cases lost.

@mikeghg

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2021 - 02:12 PM

I think they play minor league seasons this year.  Maybe half seasons but there will be games.

@mikeghg

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

There absolutely should be games this year. There should have been a mini season last year too.

If youth leagues can play baseball so should pro players.
  • Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2021 - 02:18 PM

There absolutely should be games this year. There should have been a mini season last year too.

If youth leagues can play baseball so should pro players.

I agree.  It feels like there is an end game on managements side.

@mikeghg

#7 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 06:57 PM

If they aren't able to have minor league seasons, it's absolutely going to prolong the rebuild. But players' safety should be the highest priority. Is it safe to assume pro athletes will be given some type of priority, once vaccine supplies get to the point where there are enough to inoculate the general public?  

Why? Our lives are every bit as important as theirs are. 

• russsnyder likes this

#8 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:43 AM

Why? Our lives are every bit as important as theirs are. 

Hey, way to take that ball and run really fast in the wrong direction. I didn't suggest that they SHOULD get preferential treatment. But if you don't think people have been, and will continue to receive, preferential treatment with vaccines, you are mistaken. 

#9 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:52 AM

I think another lost minor league season hurts a lot of teams and prospects.  I think for a guy like Rutschman the service time concerns go away and we see him in Baltimore at some point this year.  You do not want guys like him, going 2 years without playing a game.

Pitchers present a real issue.  Not throwing real innings for 2 years present all kinds of ramp up problems.  Teams will want to limit innings in the first year or two back.  Young careers are being shortened and in some cases lost.

Back years ago, Sports Illustrated did a real story and indepth look at pitchers, who took time off, for WW2, etc. Came back with healthy arms and pitch for several years. Their opinion, was the "youth" arm of under 25 was still developing and that the curve ball was detrimental to the arm health.  They sited studies that said "xx" was the magic number, and anything over that before 25, the pitcher would be a wash out before they hit 30.

#10 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:00 PM

First, I didn't say you said they should. I simply pushed back on the notion you posited. OK? Let me answer your question. 

Hell no. 

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:22 PM

One could argue that pro athletes and hollywood types should actually go at the end of the line.

1. Their industry has the financial means to facilitate quarantines, distancing measures, frequent testing etc.

2. They personally have the financial means to stay home if they choose and ride it out. They don't have to go to work. If they miss some paychecks they are in better position than us mere mortals.

Now I am not suggesting that's what should happen. But that would be a much more preferred option than having them get special upfront vaccinations.

Frankly, the way the states I am familiar with are all pretty much doing it the same way and they are all missing the boat. This is just so easy.

1. Develop the logic for the order your state decides to dole out the vaccines

2. Everyone who chooses to get vaccinated fills out the order.

3. The state puts everyone in their respective group. For instance, here in MS I fall into group 2 (over 65). Group 1 were front line workers.

4. A random number generator is used to assign each individual a number within their group. They get vaccinated in that order.

But instead most states are using some online registration for appointments. It works except that once the current allocation of vaccines are spoken for you can't get an appointment. So you have to check every day to see if they have opened up more appointments. I literally was getting online 3 or 4 times a day to run through the system to see if I could get an appointment. After 2 weeks of doing this I finally got in.

They just need to get us engineers to help them get their shit together....LOL

• CantonJester likes this

#12 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 07:47 AM

First, I didn't say you said they should. I simply pushed back on the notion you posited. OK? Let me answer your question. 

Hell no. 

Just so I'm clear, you're saying you don't think pro athletes will be given vaccines after the folks in the at risk categories, but ahead of the general public? Because I disagree with that. I think they will, because there's a lot of money at stake. 

#13 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 12:58 PM

Just so I'm clear, you're saying you don't think pro athletes will be given vaccines after the folks in the at risk categories, but ahead of the general public? Because I disagree with that. I think they will, because there's a lot of money at stake. 

Indeed, a lot of direct and indirect economics beyond the athletes/mgmt/ownership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=