Photo

2021 NFL General Talk (LA Rams Win SB 56)

• Please log in to reply
1492 replies to this topic

#1161 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:24 PM

Terrific weekend of football.

I think KC is probably the favorite now, but I could see all 4 teams winning.

@mikeghg

#1162 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:31 PM

So a defense gave up a big play at the end both blitzing and sitting back. Sometimes it just doesnt matter. The situations are different but you understand the point. Youre going to be criticized both ways if the other team converts.

Except both the Bills and Chiefs’ defenses were both positively gassed by that point, but at any rate, Mahomes big gains were underneath to speed guys catching the ball in stride. The Bucs getting beaten over the top is arguably the most idiotic coaching decision in the 21st century. 

• mdrunning likes this

#1163 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:32 PM

Chiefs are an early seven-point favorite against the Bengals next week.

#1164 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:49 PM

Except both the Bills and Chiefs’ defenses were both positively gassed by that point, but at any rate, Mahomes big gains were underneath to speed guys catching the ball in stride. The Bucs getting beaten over the top is arguably the most idiotic coaching decision in the 21st century.

We would have heard it was idiotic if Buffalo allowed Hill or someone to get behind them with 13 sec left. Instead they play soft and give up 45 yards in 10 seconds.

#1165 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:53 PM

We would have heard it was idiotic if Buffalo allowed Hill or someone to get behind them with 13 sec left. Instead they play soft and give up 45 yards in 10 seconds.

Again, they are different situations. Not saying mistakes and poor decisions werent made. What I am saying is there will always be a lot of criticism for decisions like these when they dont work out.

#1166 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 January 2022 - 11:39 PM

Chiefs have a real chance to play back-to-back Super Bowl’s at their opponents home stadium.

#1167 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 11:57 PM

Chiefs have a real chance to play back-to-back Super Bowl’s at their opponents home stadium.

Likely. I do think SF has a decent shot to beat LA. Like 35-40%. KC on the other hand is like 80%. I dont think they lose this game to Cin more than 2 out of 10 times. If that.

#1168 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:03 AM

Likely. I do think SF has a decent shot to beat LA. Like 35-40%. KC on the other hand is like 80%. I dont think they lost this game to Cin more than 2 out of 10 times. If that.

SF’s bubble has to burst. They’re just not quite Final Four level this year, which speaks to Shanahan’s wizardry. Just watch JG, he isn’t good. Feel like he’s regressed actually. But they’re tough, and they run the ball and play stingy defense. The Rams are the softest opponent they will have faced, so I can definitely see the 49ers advancing. As of now, officially I’m going with Chiefs/Rams. Not going to pull a Sports Guy and hedge away and never make an actual prediction.

#1169 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:05 AM

Also, I think in the long run, beating Mahomes in a Super Bowl will be a major bullet point on Brady’s insane resume. But that’s how legendary I think Mahomes career is going to end up. It’s still so early. Just on a different level.

#1170 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:12 AM

KC is definitely the best team left in the final four.  And that is insane when you consider that their defense is the worst of all four teams.  That's how good Mahomes and their offense is.  If they win the SB, which is a very good possibility, 13 seconds will become a phrase as famous in KC and the sports world is, as "The Drive" is in Denver.  

#1171 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:28 AM

SF’s bubble has to burst. They’re just not quite Final Four level this year, which speaks to Shanahan’s wizardry. Just watch JG, he isn’t good. Feel like he’s regressed actually. But they’re tough, and they run the ball and play stingy defense. The Rams are the softest opponent they will have faced, so I can definitely see the 49ers advancing. As of now, officially I’m going with Chiefs/Rams. Not going to pull a Sports Guy and hedge away and never make an actual prediction.

Ricker doesnt hedge. Speaking of Rob he has already traded away Ced Mullins. Lol

Yeah, LA should win but its a divisonal game and Stafford has the capability of just handing games away. Of course go does Jimmy G. We will see.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1172 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:45 AM

Put my quote about the kick up without seeing yours.  You are absolutely right.  Kicking it out of the end zone gave KC two plays to work with.  If they force a return, maybe only one and if not in FG range, a hail mary.  Definite failure on the special teams coaches.  

Remember the Music City Miracle? That all started with a squib kick. And guess who wound up on the wrong end of that one?

Now you obviously can't base current strategy off of something that happened over two decades ago, and I see the point that you and others are making. There are other factors to consider as well; namely, a squib could be downed immediately and give Mahomes a very short field, or maybe it goes out of bounds (which I believe results in a five-yard penalty, but the kicking team does get another try). 

I believe Mecole Hardman, the second-fastest guy on KC behind Tyreek Hill, was back deep to receive. The Bills certainly didn't want to give him any opportunity to return the kick. 

The Bills had been playing two-deep zone all game to try and counter the Chiefs' speedsters. On that last Kansas City possession, they were also inexplicably guarding the sidelines, which didn't make much sense since the Chiefs had all of their timeouts. What proved to be their undoing was that they showed too much respect for the Chiefs' speed. On the first play to Hill, their DBs were sitting back at the 40-yard line to start the play. They did pretty much the same thing against Kelce on the 25-yarder that set up the field goal. He went right up the seam with only a linebacker to beat and pretty much had a free run after the catch. 

What was really the key for Kansas City in this instance was the timeouts. As long as they did everything quickly, they could run whatever they wanted since they had the capacity to stop the clock.

#1173 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 04:03 AM

Sucks that a 49ers/Bills SB eludes us once again. 49ers/Bengals would be a third time they’ve met in a SB.

I think it will be KC/LA, and as close as the playoff games have been, I’ll predict these games won’t be close.

KC 38, CIn 17
LA 27, SF 10
@BSLMikeRandall

#1174 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:25 AM

Sucks that a 49ers/Bills SB eludes us once again. 49ers/Bengals would be a third time they’ve met in a SB.

I think it will be KC/LA, and as close as the playoff games have been, I’ll predict these games won’t be close.

KC 38, CIn 17
LA 27, SF 10

In that KC/Cinn game Hill & Edwards-Helaire both got injured in the 1st half. Might be different this time.

#1175 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:59 AM

What a weekend of football!

The Divisional Round did not disappoint.

I like Frisco over LA next week. ( 28-24)

I think their defense Carrie's them to the Super Bowl.

KC beats Cincy 37-28.

I don't see the Bengals stopping the Chiefs.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1176 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:17 AM

The Ringer: The Winners and Losers of Divisional-Round Weekend

CBS Sports: Why this has been the wildest NFL divisional round weekend ever: Every game won on a walk-off play

https://www.cbssport...-walk-off-play/

#1177 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:37 AM

I think the Niners stand a very good shot at beating the Rams. They can hit Stafford rushing 4, whereas JPP was a shell of himself. 

It would have been idiotic to let Hill get behind them with 13 seconds left. The correct play call is to keep the ball in front of you. The problem was that Hill (I think McKinnon as well) outran defenders after the catch. 

#1178 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,361 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:35 AM

That was an epic weekend of football!

As for the talk of too much scoring, I mean yesterday, sure, even though last night was an epic QB duel more so than awful defense.

But we only have to travel one day further back in time to find defense prevailing. We saw a 19-16 score and a game where the winning team didn't even score an offensive TD.

My only real complaint about what I saw of the weekend was that one of the biggest moments was a coin toss.

#1179 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:54 PM

That was an epic weekend of football!

As for the talk of too much scoring, I mean yesterday, sure, even though last night was an epic QB duel more so than awful defense.

But we only have to travel one day further back in time to find defense prevailing. We saw a 19-16 score and a game where the winning team didn't even score an offensive TD.

My only real complaint about what I saw of the weekend was that one of the biggest moments was a coin toss.

People are overrating the Chiefs v Bills game last night. Both defenses were wiped in the 4th, and frankly this was as much a result of the NFL turning the game into a pass-happy love fest than it was to the greatness of Mahomes and Allen. 

That coin toss was as much of a mercy killing as it was a determining factor as to who would win the game. 

• mdrunning likes this

#1180 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:14 PM

BSL: Championship Sunday Preview

https://baltimorespo...sunday-preview/

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and russsnyder like this
@MikeFastNFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic