#81 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:58 PM

Scott has looked a bit slow/tired to me all night. Which doesn't surprise me given how much of a high motor guy he is every game.

I respect this little late run here, but a terrible 2nd half. Ohio St. is very good though. 

#82 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:59 PM

First lazy play maybe ever from Scott. I don't think we'll see that from him again any time soon.

I think the kid is worn down.  He is the over matched size wise every game.

@mikeghg

#83 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:00 PM

Scott has looked a bit slow/tired to me all night. Which doesn't surprise me given how much of a high motor guy he is every game.

I respect this little late run here, but a terrible 2nd half. Ohio St. is very good though. 

Agreed, Maryland plays with heart most of the time, but they are not a good basketball team

@mikeghg

#84 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:11 PM

It is amazing how consistently Maryland will go long stretches without a basket.

Turgeon is about as effective coaching offense as I would be flying an airplane

It's been the constant of his entire tenure at Maryland. Every single game you can predict a stretch of 6 to 8 minutes somewhere along the line where they'll go scoreless or practically scoreless from the field.

And while it might be picky to poke at a win... but remember the end of that last Purdue game, coming out of the timeout, was Ayala basically dribbling around by himself, no ball movement, not much off ball movement, and a tough shot where they got sort of lucky to get the incredibly rare offensive board and drew the foul.

#85 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:39 PM

Kenpom says 5-1 from here, which would be a decent enough tournament resume imo m56pvMs.png

she/her

#86 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 09 February 2021 - 12:56 AM

Kenpom says 5-1 from here, which would be a decent enough tournament resume imo m56pvMs.png

Am I the only one that sees an NCAA tourney berth this year as a positive reflection on Turgeon?  This team is horribly undermanned.

#87 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 February 2021 - 01:27 AM

Am I the only one that sees an NCAA tourney berth this year as a positive reflection on Turgeon?  This team is horribly undermanned.

I think any positive you can say about the results he got with the lack of talent on this team can also be blamed on him for not recruiting better talent, so it's a double edged sword 

she/her

#88 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:33 AM

I think any positive you can say about the results he got with the lack of talent on this team can also be blamed on him for not recruiting better talent, so it's a double edged sword

It's really a matter of not keeping at this point. If he had been able to make it work with the Mitchell Brothers or retain Lindo, this would be a different team.

Lot of pressure to grab a big in the transfer market when the season ends.

#89 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:16 AM

I try not to be a coach brasher, but the lack of talent is on Turgeon.  He does not invest minutes on his young players unless they are instant stars.  The kids transfer at alarming rates, IMO, and it has an effect on later teams.  Smart and Dockery are examples on this years team.  

@mikeghg

#90 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:18 AM

It's really a matter of not keeping at this point. If he had been able to make it work with the Mitchell Brothers or retain Lindo, this would be a different team.

Lot of pressure to grab a big in the transfer market when the season ends.

Lindo is the one that bothers me.    He showed flashes, but the minute he made a mistake he would come out.  The Mitchells, not sure what happened there, but their size would have really been a good addition to this year.

@mikeghg

#91 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 February 2021 - 11:43 AM

The other thing that bothers me, is despite how bad the Maryland offense is, and it is awful, Turgeon refuses to try to score off of the defense.  Early in the year, he showed press and trap against the Non Con schedule.  As soon as the conference schedule started, the pressure defense went away.  In order to be good at pressure, you need to committ to it.  Playing a few minutes in occasional games is not going to get it done.  

@mikeghg

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 12:02 PM

The other thing that bothers me, is despite how bad the Maryland offense is, and it is awful, Turgeon refuses to try to score off of the defense.  Early in the year, he showed press and trap against the Non Con schedule.  As soon as the conference schedule started, the pressure defense went away.  In order to be good at pressure, you need to committ to it.  Playing a few minutes in occasional games is not going to get it done.  

He has a team of guards and wings and no bigs (and inconsistent shooting) and he just refuses to try and increase the pace. 

He takes the air out of the ball...  wants to run Dean Smith's 4 Corners... and settles for jump shots as the clock is expiring in 1/2 court sets... made worse with this team without having any inside presence. 

The inability to adapt to the talent (and limitations) he does have on this particular roster is really irritating. 

Then he talks about the lack of depth. Smart is the most athletic guy on the roster.  You could be using him to press and trap.  You could be using Dockery who is supposed to be able to shoot. 

• Mike B likes this

#93 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 February 2021 - 12:53 PM

He has a team of guards and wings and no bigs (and inconsistent shooting) and he just refuses to try and increase the pace. 

He takes the air out of the ball...  wants to run Dean Smith's 4 Corners... and settles for jump shots as the clock is expiring in 1/2 court sets... made worse with this team without having any inside presence. 

The inability to adapt to the talent (and limitations) he does have on this particular roster is really irritating. 

Then he talks about the lack of depth. Smart is the most athletic guy on the roster.  You could be using him to press and trap.  You could be using Dockery who is supposed to be able to shoot. 

I am usually the guy who defends the coaches and players, but I am convinced Maryland is never going to be more than a team, who occassionally has a good year, but more likely be a bubble team under Turgeon.  He will just not adjust his system.  I am sure he is a good honest guy, but he is a mediocre coach and I think kids realize it and they move on.  As I said earlier, he will not invest minutes in his younger guys unless they flash immediately.  Dockery and Smart should be getting minutes which would increase his bench, and both are quick, so they could be helpful in an up tempo game.  Turgeon's teams do not progress late in the year and in part, it is because the guys that could grow and become helpful, ride the bench.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=