#1 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:13 PM

Felix Hernandez is signing with Baltimore. Minor league deal for 1,000,000. 

she/her

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:25 PM

Interesting.

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:39 PM

At least it’s a fun sign!
  • BobPhelan and Mike in STL like this

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:59 PM

Increasing ERA since 2014. Hasnt thrown more than 150 IP in 2 of the last 3 years. Didn’t pitch in 2020. Sounds like an 0’s signing. I’m guessing he opts out at some point during ST and he is mentioned in the same sentence as Dontrell Willis as “remember when player X was an Oriole for 72 hours?”
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:09 PM

Will his tenure last longer than Johan Santana’s?
  • Mackus, Mike B and DuffMan like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#6 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:15 PM

A long way from Ty Blach and Chandler Shepherd types. I'll take it. Even if it is ultimately just a few fun spring training innings.

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#7 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:17 PM

He apparently pitched well with the Braves last spring before opting out. Who knows maybe the time off will help him regain a mph or two.

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:29 PM

Will his tenure last longer than Johan Santana’s?

That was the connection I made too.

It also got me to thinking when was the last time a Cy Young award winner pitched for the Orioles?  I think it might have been Pat Hentgen, but too lazy to check 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@mikeghg

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

If nothing else it will make ST interesting 

@mikeghg

#10 GaryArmida

GaryArmida

HOF

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 09:02 PM

I'm always torn with these signings. I root for the once great player, but I don't want to see him just keep failing either. 

@GaryArmida

#11 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:35 PM

I'm always torn with these signings. I root for the once great player, but I don't want to see him just keep failing either. 

Depends on how long they let him flail around if he struggles. If Felix has two straight starts with like 5 ER in 4 IP then definitely just pull the plug right then and there. 

she/her

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:29 AM

Depends on how long they let him flail around if he struggles. If Felix has two straight starts with like 5 ER in 4 IP then definitely just pull the plug right then and there. 

We have seen quite a few long in the tooth players pass through to various degrees of success, but I think that fact that our rotation is such a mess, I think Felix gets a longer chance.

@mikeghg

#13 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:32 AM

We have seen quite a few long in the tooth players pass through to various degrees of success, but I think that fact that our rotation is such a mess, I think Felix gets a longer chance.

Which bugs me about the Cobb trade. The current rotation is a mess and we send Cobb off and pay 5 million, and we get back a so-so prospect.

Felix is just one of too many "past" pitchers to come through town on a minor league deal, hoping to find something left in the tank.

Houston got lucky with Verlander, Detroit thought he was done for, but they suspected a hiccup in his giddy up, and they ended up right, and looked how well it worked for them.

• Mike B likes this

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:01 AM

Which bugs me about the Cobb trade. The current rotation is a mess and we send Cobb off and pay 5 million, and we get back a so-so prospect.

Felix is just one of too many "past" pitchers to come through town on a minor league deal, hoping to find something left in the tank.

Houston got lucky with Verlander, Detroit thought he was done for, but they suspected a hiccup in his giddy up, and they ended up right, and looked how well it worked for them.

Don't know for sure, but latest rumor is the Angels are paying $5M of Cobb's contract, meaning the Orioles pay about $10M.

Also Verlander's and Felix' situations couldn't have been more different.  Not a good comparison at all.  Verlander was still a star.  He finished 5th in Cy Young voting the season prior to his trade, was still a horse for IP, and it's not like he was struggling at the time he was dealt (3.82 ERA).  King Felix has only pitched 315 innings over the last 4 seasons combined (he opted out of 2020 so that's not fair to count against him but I'm doing it) and his performance has gotten worse and worse each season to the point where he was horrendous in 2019 (6.40 ERA).

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:09 AM

He's completely done but whatever. Dont pay him the mil just on the name alone. Make sure he's doing something in ST

#16 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:19 AM

Fernandomania, part deaux.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:49 AM

He's completely done but whatever. Dont pay him the mil just on the name alone. Make sure he's doing something in ST

Someone has to be on the roster. The minimum salary is $563k. Are we really worrying about the difference?

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:05 AM

If he's one of the 5 best SP options by all means give him a spot. But earn that spot.

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:05 AM

If Verlander made it to FA the next year he would have cost far more than what Houston ended up paying. They made the deal getting a star pitcher at discount. They changed how he pitched to fit how they develop pitchers, by pitching backwards, making the fastball more effective.

Verlander and Felix moves aren’t even in the same ballpark to compare.
  • sandiegosean likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:14 AM

I am going to stop posting on the way the Orioles are doing business, but did want to point out it is closer to 10 M the Orioles are paying to not have Cobb pitching.  I feel like we are at the ceiling on what the owners want to pay, so Elias is trying to find $$$.

• Old Man likes this
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=