#1 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

I take a look back at our sordid draft history at wide receiver and a glimpse towards this off-season. I hope everyone enjoys!!

https://baltimorespo...mains-the-same/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 10:33 AM

I agree that Golladay is the top target. I don't think a 1-year prove it deal works for the Ravens though (not do I think Golladay will have to settle for that). They likely won't have the $12-15M they'd need in cap space for just one year. They'll need the longer term contract so they can get the year one cost down to maybe half of that.

Golladay's low number of games and snaps in 2020 does make an incentive-laden deal possible with ULTBE incentives that would mean lower 2021 cap numbers and then pay for them in 2022 when he meets them. But I don't think he'll have to take anything incentive-laden, he'll get guarantees.
  • Mike in STL and BSLJamieSieck like this

#3 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

I agree that Golladay is the top target. I don't think a 1-year prove it deal works for the Ravens though (not do I think Golladay will have to settle for that). They likely won't have the $12-15M they'd need in cap space for just one year. They'll need the longer term contract so they can get the year one cost down to maybe half of that.

Golladay's low number of games and snaps in 2020 does make an incentive-laden deal possible with ULTBE incentives that would mean lower 2021 cap numbers and then pay for them in 2022 when he meets them. But I don't think he'll have to take anything incentive-laden, he'll get guarantees.

Excellent point Mackus.

With restructuring Boyle and probably another contract or 2, we should create a little more cap space. 

My line of thinking is that this upcoming free agent period could be very uncertain, given the constricting of the cap. There may be some guys that hang out there longer than expected, perhaps not getting the money they desire. Obviously, we'll find out soon enough.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#4 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:01 PM

Excellent point Mackus.

With restructuring Boyle and probably another contract or 2, we should create a little more cap space.

My line of thinking is that this upcoming free agent period could be very uncertain, given the constricting of the cap. There may be some guys that hang out there longer than expected, perhaps not getting the money they desire. Obviously, we'll find out soon enough.

Plus there’s always unexpected cuts. There may be more of those types this year with lots of teams over the cap. The Ravens have always been big on that type since they don’t count for comp picks.

Either way, like you said, I think this off-season will be more uncertain than most. Guys who aren’t top tier might also take less earlier for fear of not having a chair when the music stops.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:27 PM

I also still think that Golladay gets tagged and we'd need to trade for him then extend to lower the cap hit. I'm still interested even with that high cost. I think he's perfect for this offense.

#6 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

Torrey Smith is the best guy on that list which I think proves the solution to the WR woes is just picking more guys from Maryland haha

• BSLJamieSieck likes this

she/her

#7 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:30 PM

Torrey Smith is the best guy on that list which I think proves the solution to the WR woes is just picking more guys from Maryland haha

Maybe that Diggs guy could've helped?  :eek:

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

@primetime667083

#8 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

Maybe that Diggs guy could've helped?  :eek:

DJ Moore taken right before the Ravens were on the clock made me pretty annoyed up until they got Lamar too 

she/her

#9 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 02:09 PM

At this point, I wouldn't hang my hat on Golladay signing here. Nor Robinson or Godwin. Based on Decosta's comments and our current cap situation, I just don't expect it.

I would love either of those 3. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 02:34 PM

DJ Moore taken right before the Ravens were on the clock made me pretty annoyed up until they got Lamar too

They passed on DJ. On the clock at #22 and traded back to #25 to pick up a 4th rounder. I don't think they were gonna take him if he was still available (and they did pass on Ridley), I think they wanted Hurst.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 02:35 PM

At this point, I wouldn't hang my hat on Golladay signing here. Nor Robinson or Godwin. Based on Decosta's comments and our current cap situation, I just don't expect it.

I don't know if anybody expects then to sign a big WR. I certainly don't, for the reasons you mention and others. I just think they should.

#12 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 January 2021 - 03:14 PM

I can hope but I certainly don't expect it.

Barring something unforeseen, I expect we'll take a receiver in the middle rounds and then bring a veteran cap casuality. A Willie Snead caliber guy. Unless the free agent market is extremely depressed, we likely won't wade into those waters.

@primetime667083

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 03:44 PM

AJ Green feels plausible to me, but I don't think he's got a lot left in the tank.

#14 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 05:34 PM

AJ Green feels plausible to me, but I don't think he's got a lot left in the tank.

Ugh I hope not, he seems done.

Derrick Mason was 31 when we got him, but was coming off 2 straight 95 catch years and 4 straight 1000 yard years. He had several good years left.

Boldin was 30 but had 2 straight 1000 yard years. Obviously he was a huge key for the SB run.

Steve Smith was 35, coming off a bad year, but still had 2 1000+ years just prior and was good for us the first year before tearing his achilles.

Green will be 33 and will have been hurt or ineffective for 3 straight years. That’s not all that different from Dez.

I don’t mind getting an older guy if not one of the top guys. Not sure who that guy is. But I don’t feel good about Green.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#15 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:17 PM

Ugh I hope not, he seems done.

Derrick Mason was 31 when we got him, but was coming off 2 straight 95 catch years and 4 straight 1000 yard years. He had several good years left.

Boldin was 30 but had 2 straight 1000 yard years. Obviously he was a huge key for the SB run.

Steve Smith was 35, coming off a bad year, but still had 2 1000+ years just prior and was good for us the first year before tearing his achilles.

Green will be 33 and will have been hurt or ineffective for 3 straight years. That’s not all that different from Dez.

I don’t mind getting an older guy if not one of the top guys. Not sure who that guy is. But I don’t feel good about Green.

I don't feel good about Green either for the reasons you listed. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:29 PM

We talked about it on the podcast. I want them to go get Golladay. We've never made a play for the top WR available. Just do it once and see what happens. Humor us DeCosta. Tired of the Wallace, Maclin, Crabtree, etc... types.

Feel like they won't. Harbaugh has already remarked about "cost" issues. DeCosta has declared the Ravens a "tight end centric team". If that is how they really feel, maybe Hunter Henry could be the "big receiver" they add, and we see a ton of 2 and 3 TE sets, and a lot of Andrews/Henry in the slot. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#17 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

We talked about it on the podcast. I want them to go get Golladay. We've never made a play for the top WR available. Just do it once and see what happens. Humor us DeCosta. Tired of the Wallace, Maclin, Crabtree, etc... types.

Feel like they won't. Harbaugh has already remarked about "cost" issues. DeCosta has declared the Ravens a "tight end centric team". If that is how they really feel, maybe Hunter Henry could be the "big receiver" they add, and we see a ton of 2 and 3 TE sets, and a lot of Andrews/Henry in the slot.

I actually like the idea of adding Henry. But given the option, I'd rather gave Golladay.

But I think everyone here knows in the back of their head to expect a move for someone like Green, Julio Jones, Watkins, Marvin Jones ect. if anything.

I could definitely see them make a play for Henry or Njoku as well.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:43 AM

If they add a WR, I'd prefer someone in the slot vs. an outside threat. 

I like the idea of Henry too. 

Anyone they add to this offense has to be willing to block.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:53 PM

They passed on DJ. On the clock at #22 and traded back to #25 to pick up a 4th rounder. I don't think they were gonna take him if he was still available (and they did pass on Ridley), I think they wanted Hurst.

Remember them saying when they were on the clock at 22 they had 3 guys they liked and pretty equally ranked. I think Moore was one of them in addition to Hurst obviously. Who they wouldve choosen if both all were available at 25 we'll never know.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

They arent spending big on WR and honestly if they do go slot guy you can do a lot worse than Snead. That guy is underrated. Interesting to see how they approach the receiving corp. I do expect them to add another TE. See if they really intend to get Duvernay into the mix more next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=