• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:35 PM

I'm speaking with Maury Brown Friday for my pod. 

Have specific Orioles Business related questions you'd like me to ask?

Let me know. 

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:46 PM

https://forum.baltim...y-brown-forbes/

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:34 AM

You mentioned John Angelos home in Nashville as part of the 'moving' narrative. We agree the Orioles aren't moving. I don't know why people don't note this, but John Angelos is married to Margaret Valentine (former country music singer) and now she runs a Nashville based promotion company (Pound It Out Loud).

Orioles estimated TV revenue at 54M.....doesn't this number need to get updated (if not now, then in the future) after the realignment of MASN distributions pending the settlement discussion? It may be the right current number, but the likely adjusted number is going up to something like +20M, right?

Freeze on MLB revenue sharing was interesting. (we keep finding out all of the little things changed in the last year....also has to be hard on the lower media teams)

(at least) 91M per team as part of the National/centralized is interesting.

BAMTech info - that it is outside MLB reach (owners only) is interesting.

MASN not part of Orioles? I'm interested in this position. I've been told (many years ago) that they were set up as a separate entity like (I think) all of RSNs are set up (like you are saying). I discussed this with Jeremy on a couple of occasions here and he's assured me (his personal relationships with some close to Nats) that MASN is set up under the the ownership of the Orioles and Nationals (the Teams, not the team owners). While I haven't really agreed, I didn't have any better information so I passively converted into [Orioles/MASN same entity] that thought. Your (and Maury confirmation) comment says they are separate entities. I don't have a dog in it either way....but if they are separate entities, the Angelos problem is much bigger than I even considered. They are set up under TCR Broadcasting and while you can't find anything on them, they are HQ out of the Warehouse (their business address).

Cubs thing is interesting...ancillary development impacting what the Ricketts family has been willing to spend. The narrative of the Cubs has felt wrong over the last year +, no reasons they should be portraying the financial problems that seem to chase the recently, but that could be a reason and I agree with Maury that it's BS to tie your private development there to the team resources.

Expansion commentary was interesting too.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 03:08 PM

MASN not part of Orioles? I'm interested in this position. I've been told (many years ago) that they were set up as a separate entity like (I think) all of RSNs are set up (like you are saying). I discussed this with Jeremy on a couple of occasions here and he's assured me (his personal relationships with some close to Nats) that MASN is set up under the the ownership of the Orioles and Nationals (the Teams, not the team owners). While I haven't really agreed, I didn't have any better information so I passively converted into [Orioles/MASN same entity] that thought. Your (and Maury confirmation) comment says they are separate entities. I don't have a dog in it either way....but if they are separate entities, the Angelos problem is much bigger than I even considered. They are set up under TCR Broadcasting and while you can't find anything on them, they are HQ out of the Warehouse (their business address).

Everything I've ever seen says MASN is jointly owned by the O's and Nationals. 

But they are set-up as a separate entity, and like all of the other RSNs are not part of the Forbes team valuations. 

Why does that strike you as a bigger problem?  I don't see how anyone would buy the Orioles without also buying MASN.  At the minimum, the MASN issue has to be cleaned up before anyone would buy the O's.

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:17 PM

Why does that strike you as a bigger problem?  I don't see how anyone would buy the Orioles without also buying MASN.  At the minimum, the MASN issue has to be cleaned up before anyone would buy the O's.

Estate taxes.  You kind of started this with Maury, but bailed to the sell position.

I am not a tax lawyer.  I have no idea if public information is correct or how correct.  They clearly pay experienced professionals do to these things.  ....but I can do math.

I've intentionally not gone down this path in a discussion so it's up to you if I continue.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:31 AM

Based on the discussion in this thread, I thought there might be more feedback to the comments from Brown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=