#41 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:06 AM

I'm not as high on Andrews as I was. I want better hands from a guy that plays in his role. We need guys that can make contested catches. And I think to some degree, Lamar over relies on him. So some of his success might also do with forcing him the ball a bit.

He's excellent at finding soft spots in zone. But other than that, what's his big strength? It's a bit ironic at this stage, but I want a guy who can catch the not great throws to match Lamar's accuracy being not perfect, and that felt a bit more like Hurst. I think Andrews could put on more bulk and he's underrated (or maybe rated) as a blocker and gives you more than you'd expect there.

All that being said, Lamar trusts him. And if you can coach all of that up right, Andrews is worth a lot. His performance follows right in line with Kelce's first three years in the league, noting that Kelce actually missed most of his rookie year. So I think upside can still be there for Andrews, too. If you think he can improve on the contested catches, sign him long-term now. If you don't, I'd let him play out the rookie deal and then decide after a year of hopefully improved passing on offense as a whole from the team.

The only reason I am okay with the Hurst trade is because he asked for it and we got a pretty good return for it. I think Lamar and the team really missed the 2 and 3-TE sets from last year. Also, Hurst posted the 2nd fastest top speed metric that I could find among our receivers. (Only Hollywood was faster.) I was really against the trade at the time before it EDC said that Hurst requested it.

#42 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:18 AM

Just listened to the EDC presser. Didnt sound like a man looking to make a significant addition to the interior of the OL. Seems pretty clear the starters will be from in house. Which is ok with me as long as they feel like they have the C position sured up
  • BSLJamieSieck likes this

#43 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:01 AM

Just listened to the EDC presser. Didnt sound like a man looking to make a significant addition to the interior of the OL. Seems pretty clear the starters will be from in house. Which is ok with me as long as they feel like they have the C position sured up

You're right he did praise the guys we have but I took it completely different. When he was asked about 'taking the next step or advancing the offense', protection came out of his mouth a few times. And I think once was when he was asked about WRs. Also, we always praise our guys and say we like who we have but are always looking to upgrade.

#44 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:23 AM

But you have your LT and he's locked in for awhile. Ideally you don't have to make tough decisions. I think this is one you make. BTW Im totally fine with just extending things out with Brown and letting him play out '21. Then taking either the tag and trade route or comp pick.

We have a LT that has a shaky injury history to this point. You trade Brown and Stanley goes down again, you have no replacement. Not only do you have no replacement at LT, you will be putting two turnstiles at tackle for the duration that Stanley is hurt.

And for all the Mekari people. You realize he only played 33 snaps at RT all year? The main replacements were Fluker and Phillips. Phillips had a 47 PFF rating at that. He gave up 8 sacks and 20 total pressuresin just under 250 pass rush snaps. In 600 pass rush snaps, Brown gave up 3 sacks and 28 total pressures.

I mean, the difference in quality of player between Brown and his in house replacement is astronomical.

For one, the top mentioned replacement, the team clearly doesn't view him as a tackle. The guy they would actually replace him with was horrid there.

In no scenario do we trade Brown, even for a 1st, and come out as a better team next season. It's not a viable option this offseason.

#45 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:28 AM

You're right he did praise the guys we have but I took it completely different. When he was asked about 'taking the next step or advancing the offense', protection came out of his mouth a few times. And I think once was when he was asked about WRs. Also, we always praise our guys and say we like who we have but are always looking to upgrade.

A C is the only place they might look to add a FA. Especially if its a vet who can make line calls and such. Id be surprised if it was a G. Bozeman has one spot on the line locked up and you have Powers, Mekari and Phillips who all at min at least flashed at RG. I suspect maybe they like Colon- Castillo but I think both Powers and Bozeman played C in college. We'll see.
  • Huddle It Up Films likes this

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:58 AM

Im also going to continue to beat the resign Bowser drum. With added reps and used just a bit differently I think he has Pro Bowl potential. Would hate to see him go.

• The Epic, Mashed Potatoes and Mike B like this

#47 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:12 AM

Im also going to continue to beat the resign Bowser drum. With added reps and used just a bit differently I think he has Pro Bowl potential. Would hate to see him go.

I agree, but I have a hunch we are going to get outbid.

Bowser has gotten better every year, so I hope I am wrong.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#48 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:49 AM

A C is the only place they might look to add a FA. Especially if its a vet who can make line calls and such. Id be surprised if it was a G. Bozeman has one spot on the line locked up and you have Powers, Mekari and Phillips who all at min at least flashed at RG. I suspect maybe they like Colon- Castillo but I think both Powers and Bozeman played C in college. We'll see.

My dreams of Scherff or Thuney are drafting away, lol. I'd pay for one of them, personally.

Also, if Mack can't get a starting gig elsewhere, I I'm offering him a deal to be here, compete for the C spot and be backup there if needed. 

#49 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:55 AM

The line was a problem the first half of the season, and to the Ravens credit they got back to running the ball, and even adjusted their run game to the strengths of the line.

That being said, the whole right side was a problem in the playoffs. It didn't show up down the stretch of the regular season because they rarely needed to straight drop back and pass. But it was ugly on obvious passing downs this postseason.

Improving the line absolutely should be priority #1. FA and draft. Jeff Zrebiec's take on EDC's presser was that he believes it will be.

• sandiegosean and Huddle It Up Films like this

#50 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:25 AM

The line was a problem the first half of the season, and to the Ravens credit they got back to running the ball, and even adjusted their run game to the strengths of the line.

That being said, the whole right side was a problem in the playoffs. It didn't show up down the stretch of the regular season because they rarely needed to straight drop back and pass. But it was ugly on obvious passing downs this postseason.

Improving the line absolutely should be priority #1. FA and draft. Jeff Zrebiec's take on EDC's presser was that he believes it will be.

I thought Powers played well down the stretch but he really struggled against the Bills as did Mekari and Phillips/Fluker.

The Bills did a lot of cut blocking, early in the game and it seemed to make the line tentative in executing their blocks.

@mikeghg

#51 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:19 PM

I don't know what the PFF world thinks of Philips, but man oh man, I swear I saw him beaten off the snap more easily than anybody else. Big strong dude, but seemed like he had a LOT of room for improvement in the quick twitch / first step off the snap department.

Really, perfect example for him, go back and watch the next to last play of the first half at PIT, where Edwards (?) gets stuffed in the backfield. Philips was beaten to the inside so badly that it looked like borderline sabotage. ;)
  • Huddle It Up Films likes this

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:29 PM

I think there is no chance the Ravens go into this year with Mekari, Fluker or Phillips being counted on to play RT.

• JordanKough likes this
@mikeghg

#53 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:18 PM

I don't know what the PFF world thinks of Philips, but man oh man, I swear I saw him beaten off the snap more easily than anybody else. Big strong dude, but seemed like he had a LOT of room for improvement in the quick twitch / first step off the snap department.

Really, perfect example for him, go back and watch the next to last play of the first half at PIT, where Edwards (?) gets stuffed in the backfield. Philips was beaten to the inside so badly that it looked like borderline sabotage. ;)

They gave him a rating of 47 for the year. Which is terrible.

Their is absolutely no way we should be going into a superbowl or bust type season with anyone but Brown at RT. Barring an injury of course.

#54 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:20 PM

I want Bowser over Judon. And for me, it's not even close. Bowser only had like 15 less total pressures than Judon, in like over 100 less pass rush snaps. This thought that Judon is some pass rush Master has gotten out of hand. Guy is above average, but he he is very replaceable. I like Bowser's overall game a lot more than Judon's. And I think he gets to the QB every bit as good, if not better than Judon.
  • BSLJamieSieck likes this

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:32 PM

I want Bowser over Judon. And for me, it's not even close. Bowser only had like 15 less total pressures than Judon, in like over 100 less pass rush snaps. This thought that Judon is some pass rush Master has gotten out of hand. Guy is above average, but he he is very replaceable. I like Bowser's overall game a lot more than Judon's. And I think he gets to the QB every bit as good, if not better than Judon.

I am not sure anyone has suggested Judon was a pass rushing master.  I think it comes down to which of our edge guys can be signed at the right price.

I think we bring back McPhee, if he wants to play next year, and from there I think Bowser is the next most likely, but I would not be surprised if we lose all 3 of Yannick, Judon or Bowser.

@mikeghg

#56 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:39 PM

I am not sure anyone has suggested Judon was a pass rushing master. I think it comes down to which of our edge guys can be signed at the right price.
I think we bring back McPhee, if he wants to play next year, and from there I think Bowser is the next most likely, but I would not be surprised if we lose all 3 of Yannick, Judon or Bowser.

Hyperbole. Obviously depends on the price tags. I think Bowser is the cheapest of those three. Which is ironic, because I also think he's the better overall player of those three. If Ngakoue's price tag is low, which I doubt, I say resign him as well. I don't think he's as versatile as Judon. But I believe he's better pure pass rusher.

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:58 PM

Hyperbole. Obviously depends on the price tags. I think Bowser is the cheapest of those three. Which is ironic, because I also think he's the better overall player of those three. If Ngakoue's price tag is low, which I doubt, I say resign him as well. I don't think he's as versatile as Judon. But I believe he's better pure pass rusher.

I would have agreed with you about Ngakoue before I saw him this year.  I was disappointed.

@mikeghg

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:04 PM

I agree, but I have a hunch we are going to get outbid.
Bowser has gotten better every year, so I hope I am wrong.

As far as our impending FA. Hes my priority resign. We'll see what the cost is though

#59 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:10 PM

He really was. His physical tools are NFL but he struggled all season really. There's not one game that I didn't dock him multiple times and they were easy to see mistakes. It's frustrating now because I clearly fault Harbaugh or whoever's choosing the starting five. How do you go with a raw rookie with no OTAs?

I think Powers was definitely better but he gets overrated too because of how poor Phillips played. Mekari punches above his weight but needs to get a lot stronger. Yes we do have guys but nobody I'm betting my Super Bowl hopes on by playing. We need an upgrade. Like somebody earlier said, that's three straight years the line has cost us in the playoffs.

Also lost in the Oline performance is the LJ effect. He covers up a lot of mediocre play. Remember how bad we were at running the ball when Flacco went down? Then we're historically good the next year. In the playoffs the margin is smaller. 

#60 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:16 PM

You know I'm with you on this. I wish we would've offered Bowser something during the season if we could've figured out the cap. He's a much better Sam OLB than Judon. Pass rush, Judon is slightly better. Coverage & run defense is Bowser by a mile. And if they had confidence in Judon as a pure rusher, they would've put him at Rush end, opposite Bowser, instead of trading for Yannick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=