jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:32 PM

BSL: The Criticism Of The Critics

https://baltimorespo...of-the-critics/

Harbaugh is never going to criticize his team.....ever.  The most you'll get from him is his tired, broken record mantra, "We have to keep getting better and we will."  You'll hear that one from Week 1 through 17.  Someone should have a drinking contest on how many times the word "better" is used by him, his coaches and players through a typical season.  So, anything he says to the press, I just take with a huge sized grain of salt.  It's all bullshit.  He knows what the problem is and so does everyone else watching the team. Whether they correct the problem with in influx of talent, especially on the OL, remains to be seen.  And that includes schemes and Roman's play calling.  All are under scrutiny now and Harbaugh will tend to it or he's going to be out of a job one day. 

#3 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:47 PM

The answer to the first question is one of my biggest dislikes about the Harbaughs, both John and Jim.  When they win, postgame press conferences are playful and they act all buddy-buddy with reporters.  But after losses it's all snappy answers, sarcasm, and the "we know better than you" attitude.  At least Belicheck is surly with everyone after both losses and wins.  The criticism is legitimate, and the fact that the Ravens could beat the pants off of the critics in an actual football game means nothing.  

I would probably be fired as a reporter or banned from Ravens pressers because I would have said, "Good.  We look forward to playing one of your playoff teams!"  Not to mention that the statement about nobody having more effective play action passes off of a run game is mind boggling.  I mean the least he could have said is that it was an area they hope to improve upon.  Anyone with any kind of football IQ had to get a laugh out of that statement.  

#4 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:54 PM

BSL: The Criticism Of The Critics

https://baltimorespo...of-the-critics/

Thanks for the recap of the highlights. 

Was there a follow up anywhere about Dez Bryant, or any mention of him by Harbaugh? When they ask the question about "veteran, established receiver" and Harbaugh expresses he wants to add a "big physical receiver" a "big target for Lamar Jackson". It begs the question, did the media and the head coach forget all about him? 

Or maybe it suggests that the team wasn't pleased with his contributions, and he won't be around next year so don't even mention him.

@BSLMikeRandall

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:08 PM

The answer to the first question is one of my biggest dislikes about the Harbaughs, both John and Jim.  When they win, postgame press conferences are playful and they act all buddy-buddy with reporters.  But after losses it's all snappy answers, sarcasm, and the "we know better than you" attitude.  At least Belicheck is surly with everyone after both losses and wins.  The criticism is legitimate, and the fact that the Ravens could beat the pants off of the critics in an actual football game means nothing.  

I would probably be fired as a reporter or banned from Ravens pressers because I would have said, "Good.  We look forward to playing one of your playoff teams!"  Not to mention that the statement about nobody having more effective play action passes off of a run game is mind boggling.  I mean the least he could have said is that it was an area they hope to improve upon.  Anyone with any kind of football IQ had to get a laugh out of that statement.  

I've long learned to take everything from him with a grain of salt. Guy said that the wind effected Mekari's snaps. He talks about the play action success, which wasn't accurate, but the next question is "I have all the stats right here". 

Given that, I used to care about his post game comments and whatnot, but a few years ago, it's just, whatever. Not throwing coaches and players under the bus (even in making up some nonsense about wind effecting shotgun snaps) is a trait that may make coaches and players want to come here. He can say that BS to the public, but in the locker room he might be like "Mekari, WTF bro?"

Keep going to the playoffs, and he can tell us the sky is green for all I care. 

Looking forward to the presser with Bisciotti, Cass, DeCosta when that comes around.

• PrimeTime and makoman like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the recap of the highlights.

Was there a follow up anywhere about Dez Bryant, or any mention of him by Harbaugh? When they ask the question about "veteran, established receiver" and Harbaugh expresses he wants to add a "big physical receiver" a "big target for Lamar Jackson". It begs the question, did the media and the head coach forget all about him?

Or maybe it suggests that the team wasn't pleased with his contributions, and he won't be around next year so don't even mention him.

We had Dez I'm 2020, not 2014. Dez from a long time ago is exactly what they need. Dez now is barely a guy. He's big, but that's about it. His current form is not what the offense is missing, what he used to be is. Golladay or Godwin would be the closest approximations of that (not saying either are as good as prime Dez).

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:40 PM

Looking forward to the presser with Bisciotti, Cass, DeCosta when that comes around.

These have gotten pretty boiler plate as well, IMO. They used to be very interesting but no longer.

#8 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:11 PM

I think other than the combative tone being maybe a bit off-putting, he's not wrong. I think it's a bit of semantics, whether fixing the routes to spread the receivers around better is a small tweak versus a major overhaul, and maybe whether Lamar is the person to execute this. (Obviously he is pretty strongly asserting yes to the latter.)

I think he mentioned that he wanted to get some OL upgrades, so I imagine this means that we would have to be blown away to trade Brown.

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,746 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:13 PM

Still haven't watched the whole presser but I fully endorse Harbaughs response to the first point. People like Warner and Smith are paid to give generic analysis vs specific analysis for this team and what works best for this offense. Its what I said before, paralysis by overanalysis. Harbaugh knows trying to change up too many things in this offense is going to mean the offense takes a step back. Again, the Ravens offense was top notch in scoring offense, points per play, yards per play, and explosive plays. They're an efficient offense. End of discussion.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:52 PM

We had Dez I'm 2020, not 2014. Dez from a long time ago is exactly what they need. Dez now is barely a guy. He's big, but that's about it. His current form is not what the offense is missing, what he used to be is. Golladay or Godwin would be the closest approximations of that (not saying either are as good as prime Dez).

I know he's barely a guy...now. Just saying he fits the mold of what everyone says we need. Had Bryant performed in his limited 8 games he dressed for, catching more like 30 balls instead of 6, if you asked "what about adding a big physical receiver" the answer would be "we have that in Bryant". When you're targeted 13 times in 8 games, it's easy to be forgotten. 

Hell. Miles Boykin is 6'4", 220. Maybe he should play like it, also fitting the mold, and not mentioned in the conversation.

They also don't throw the ball enough to get any of their receivers counting/fantasy stats that most of the simpletons out there care about which leads them to conclusions that they need Golladay or someone like that. Harbaugh wasn't wrong about them being way in last in attempts. 406. The league averages 356 attempts per game, pulled down by the Ravens attempting only 25 passes a game. If they signed Golladay I'd doubt he'd even break 1,000 yards in this offense, at least, that's where I'd put his ceiling. They only attempted a little more in 2019, 27.5 per game, still last in the league.

I also think given the comments about "cost", any of the top guys are pipe dreams. Golladay, Robinson II, Godwin. I think the Ravens end up signing the other Lion, Marvin Jones. He's exactly the kind of guy the Ravens like to target that don't break the bank. Pretty good, not great, won't amount to much here. Mike Wallace, Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree, all pretty much the same guy. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#11 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:01 PM

Harbaugh is a paranoid guy. He doesn't want to give out even a nugget of info that might help an opponent. This leads to canned, generic, coachspeak answers.

As far as the snarkiness and combative nature with the media, that shouldn't surprise anyone. Harbaugh has always been this way.

Furthermore, he (and the majority of head coaches for that matter) don't find criticism from the media to be valid. Football coaches look down on "lay people" in the media...."they're not "in the room" so where do the get off being critical?"
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#12 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:20 PM

I know he's barely a guy...now. Just saying he fits the mold of what everyone says we need. Had Bryant performed in his limited 8 games he dressed for, catching more like 30 balls instead of 6, if you asked "what about adding a big physical receiver" the answer would be "we have that in Bryant". When you're targeted 13 times in 8 games, it's easy to be forgotten.

Hell. Miles Boykin is 6'4", 220. Maybe he should play like it, also fitting the mold, and not mentioned in the conversation.

They also don't throw the ball enough to get any of their receivers counting/fantasy stats that most of the simpletons out there care about which leads them to conclusions that they need Golladay or someone like that. Harbaugh wasn't wrong about them being way in last in attempts. 406. The league averages 356 attempts per game, pulled down by the Ravens attempting only 25 passes a game. If they signed Golladay I'd doubt he'd even break 1,000 yards in this offense, at least, that's where I'd put his ceiling. They only attempted a little more in 2019, 27.5 per game, still last in the league.

I also think given the comments about "cost", any of the top guys are pipe dreams. Golladay, Robinson II, Godwin. I think the Ravens end up signing the other Lion, Marvin Jones. He's exactly the kind of guy the Ravens like to target that don't break the bank. Pretty good, not great, won't amount to much here. Mike Wallace, Jeremy Maclin, Michael Crabtree, all pretty much the same guy.

We're in a pretty bad loop in this quest to acquire a WR. We're lowest in the league in attempts, which means less chances for the WRs, which makes us not an attractive destination. It's akin to how the Orioles aren't an attractive destination for free agent pitchers.
  • kudzu likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#13 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:57 PM

Isn't Miles Boykin kind of a bad route runner?  He ran a pretty good 40 but no one's going to mistake him for DK Metcalf.

#14 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:01 AM

Isn't Miles Boykin kind of a bad route runner? He ran a pretty good 40 but no one's going to mistake him for DK Metcalf.

Hes the far worse, smaller, poor man's version of DK Metcalf. 🤣

#15 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:56 AM

If Snead departs, I'd like to see more snaps for Duvernay. Good thins happen when he touches the ball.
@primetime667083

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=