#1 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 10,038 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:42 AM

https://anchor.fm/th...cts-List-ep8h3u

Zach, Nick, and Bob count down the Baltimore Orioles Top 30 prospects to kick off coverage of the 2021 season.

This episode is brought to you courtesy of Mercer Floor & Home Carpet One.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLNickStevens and Huddle It Up Films like this

#2 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:17 AM

I like the way you guys handled how your opinions differ on the players. There's common ground on the skills but the projections vary.

The cluster of lefties intrigues me. Not sure if it's an outdated perspective but the passable velocity, good command lefties always seemed to have a lower bust potential. The crafty lefty who can get outs finds a role on an MLB team more easily than a comparable righty. Seems like a lot of hitters' splits are bad against lefties and some teams have a shortage of them on the 40.

Is that fair and is there any data that supports or refutes it?

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#3 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 10,038 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:03 AM

Anecdotally that feels right but I’d be interested in seeing the data on that. There are some successful low velocity, great command righties out there (Kyle Hendricks, Zach Davies) but seems like in general they have to have a funky delivery (Darren O’Day) to make it without touching the mid-90’s.

#4 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:28 PM

Hey, you know I'm always looking for an edge. If there's merit to it, carry 6 lefties on your staff and beat the teams who can't hit them. Over simplified but you get the point.

#5 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:54 AM

I like the way you guys handled how your opinions differ on the players. There's common ground on the skills but the projections vary.

The cluster of lefties intrigues me. Not sure if it's an outdated perspective but the passable velocity, good command lefties always seemed to have a lower bust potential. The crafty lefty who can get outs finds a role on an MLB team more easily than a comparable righty. Seems like a lot of hitters' splits are bad against lefties and some teams have a shortage of them on the 40.

Is that fair and is there any data that supports or refutes it?

If the three-batter minimum sticks, I wonder it will increase the value of left-handed relievers that have good splits against hitters on both sides of the plate. Paul Fry was a good example of this last year, and he might be a good projection for some of the low ceiling, high floor lefties on our list. It's also a bonus if these relievers can work on short rest. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=