MASN: What to do about the DH?

https://www.masnspor...out-the-dh.html

#2 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:23 AM

I think the days of having one guy as the everyday DH, are over. There will be exceptions, but not many. The sport seems to have enthusiastically embraced the idea of rotating guys in and out of that slot, on a nightly basis.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

The answer is you have a primary DH, but still use the spot to rotate some guys.

I think the answer to the question is Chris Shaw, but not yet.

Interesting that Roch indicates that Santander is out there for trade.  I've been saying that he won't be on the 2022 team so we'll see.  I don't think almost any of the arbitration guys are on the roster next year...

...so for the question, they'll piece is together this year.  Stewart will likely get the first looks, maybe some Mancini if Davis has a decent spring and they stick him in there a little.  You can play Mullins in CF and push Hays over to LF and Mountcastle back into 1B/DH.

...but for 2022...Mancini and Santander will be traded and Diaz in RF. Once we're back to some normalcy in terms of fans, Davis gets released.  Hays-Mullins-Diaz is the OF, Mountcastle at 1B and Shaw at DH.

Depending on the timing of Rutschman (sometime in '22) and the emergence of his bat, you could see him at DH too in something of a platoon with Shaw (LH) and a RH catching option with Adley back and forth.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:20 AM

I really don't understand trading Santander.  I guess, if it is for real value, then I would be okay with it.  If it is another one of his lottery ticket deals, I respectfully suggest Elias stick that where the sun does not shine.  It is hard to take the team serious, when they look to trade a good player because of him being arbitration eligible.

Reading that line in Roch's column, further makes me think,we are 2-3 years from exiting his rebuild strategy and that sickens me.

@mikeghg

#5 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

Im more into, either we have the DH across the NL and AL, or you don't.

I strongly dislike it being in one league and not the other.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:27 AM

Unless, Santander is traded, I think, Mancini, Mountcastle and Stewart flip between 1B, OF and DH, with Stewart getting most of the time at DH.  Hopefully Diaz forces the issue and probably takes DJ's time.

@mikeghg

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:29 AM

Im more into, either we have the DH across the NL and AL, or you don't.

I strongly dislike it being in one league and not the other.

I am a traditionalist, but I have no desire to see the AL do away with the DH.  Only MLB can have this screwed up for this long.  

• Old Man likes this
@mikeghg

#8 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:53 AM

I am a traditionalist, but I have no desire to see the AL do away with the DH.  Only MLB can have this screwed up for this long.  

Im generally a traditionalist too, didnt like it at first, now, I can live with it, or without it.

Like you said only the MLB can screw it up for so long. But, I think the Players Association has to share some of the blame.

• Mike B likes this

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:58 AM

Im generally a traditionalist too, didnt like it at first, now, I can live with it, or without it.

Like you said only the MLB can screw it up for so long. But, I think the Players Association has to share some of the blame.

I felt the same way early on, but watching pitchers try to hit, is in no way entertaining to me.

I believe the NL is the only league left in baseball that does not use the DH.  Hitters historically have been bad hitters.  It is even worse now though.

@mikeghg

#10 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

I once had the opinion that the game would be better if the DH was eliminated. I don't feel that way any longer, for the same reason that Mike mentioned. Watching pitchers embarrassingly whiff or try to bunt with comical results, is not interesting baseball.

I feel like it's disingenuous for the NL to boast that they're holding on to tradition, while also using the DH in AL interleague games and AL WS home games. If they're going to reject the DH, they should completely reject it.  

• Mike B, russsnyder, BSLRoseKatz and 1 other like this

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:10 PM

I once had the opinion that the game would be better if the DH was eliminated. I don't feel that way any longer, for the same reason that Mike mentioned. Watching pitchers embarrassingly whiff or try to bunt with comical results, is not interesting baseball.

I feel like it's disingenuous for the NL to boast that they're holding on to tradition, while also using the DH in AL interleague games and AL WS home games. If they're going to reject the DH, they should completely reject it.  

Whenever I think of pitchers trying to hit, I remember Daniel Cabrera.  He should be the image of how bad, pitchers trying to hit can be

• weird-O likes this
@mikeghg

#12 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:22 PM

Yeah people always mention strategy but which is requires more strategy from a pitcher, facing the #9 hitter in the AL or the NL?

she/her

#13 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

Whenever I think of pitchers trying to hit, I remember Daniel Cabrera.  IHe should be the image of how bad, pitchers trying to hit can be

I remember a Cubs pitcher that was pretty decent with the bat, and was actually used as a PH at times, in non pitching games.

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:34 PM

I remember a Cubs pitcher that was pretty decent with the bat, and was actually used as a PH at times, in non pitching games.

Bumgarner is the modern day version of a good hitting pitcher, but it seems for every pitcher that can hit, there are 100 that have no clue.

@mikeghg

#15 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:41 PM

Bumgarner is the modern day version of a good hitting pitcher, but it seems for every pitcher that can hit, there are 100 that have no clue.

I agree, 

Pitching and hitting is a lost art. Some of the best bunters were pitchers, back in small ball, moved the runners up, but at what cost, breaking a finger on your pitching hand, or popping a hammy running the bases and these goes your $31 million dollar ace onto the DL.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

Yeah people always mention strategy but which is requires more strategy from a pitcher, facing the #9 hitter in the AL or the NL?

Yep, the "strategy" argument. It's less and less relevant, as starting pitcher continue to pitch less innings. 

• russsnyder likes this

#17 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:18 AM

It is disengenuous. You're correct, if having pitchers hit is some kind of homage to traditional baseball, have them hit all the time. IMO, the time to implement the DH in both leagues was when inter league play started. MLB is the only level of play where pitchers hit.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#18 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:35 AM

It is disengenuous. You're correct, if having pitchers hit is some kind of homage to traditional baseball, have them hit all the time. IMO, the time to implement the DH in both leagues was when inter league play started. MLB is the only level of play where pitchers hit.

I dont even think in college its uniform, isnt there some DH and some not?

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

I dont even think in college its uniform, isnt there some DH and some not?

No, all of NCAA uses the DH.  Some pitchers are good enough that they hit for themselves, but that's a coaching decision.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:21 PM

Santander's value may never be higher. I'd bet that it wont. Like that Elias is open to moving him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=