2525 replies to this topic

#61 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:31 PM

I heard a press conference with EDC on WBAL today. He said that he planned to get together with Lamar Jackson within the next two weeks to discuss an extension. He said that he wanted Lamar to be a Raven for a long time. Hopefully, the two sides can work out an agreement that benefits all. Lamar deserves the financial and career stability of an extension.

Sounded like they're expecting the cap to possibly be around $190 million or so. Also made comments saying that he wished he could keep everyone, but unfortunately that's not always possible. That sounds like a pretty good indication for what to expect with Judon.

#62 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:47 PM

Sounded like they're expecting the cap to possibly be around $190 million or so. Also made comments saying that he wished he could keep everyone, but unfortunately that's not always possible. That sounds like a pretty good indication for what to expect with Judon.

Yeah, he lamented the loss of Morgan Cox as well. He said some really nice things about. You can't keep everyone. Obviously.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#63 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, he lamented the loss of Morgan Cox as well. He said some really nice things about. You can't keep everyone. Obviously.

Yeah, it kind of sucks when you consistently become a victim of your own success. Ravens always seem to draft lineman well, only to have to watch their primes in another jersey. We've had to let guys like Jensen, Osemele, Grubbs, Jason Brown, and Ricky Wagner leave. Really wish their was some sort of cap considerations for signing your drafted players.
  • Mike B and russsnyder like this

#64 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:26 AM

If you have ESPN+, there is a show i just discovered on there called "Detail". It is Ed Reed doing a solo breakdown type show. Xs and Os, no bias, no debate, no schtick. Just Ed Reed breaking down tape. I watched the one where he recapped key plays from the four divisional round games. Really good stuff. He coached with the Bills, and he breaks it down like a coach in a positional meeting. But doesn't make it too complex where the common person might not understand like Jon Gruden has a tendency to do by using pro lingo, "Spider X-jet Y-banana" or whatever. If you have kids playing football, it'd be something they could also watch and learn from pretty easily. 

In the Rams/Packers game he talked about what Rodgers saw that led him to signal to Lazard to go deep on the 4th quarter 58 yard TD pass that sealed the win. Simple things, but things that commentators didn't pick up on. Basically CB playing off coverage in a zone setup (facing the QB, not the receiver). and the safety not lined up deep enough to be of help. Rodgers points to Lazard, the defense doesn't adjust, and its pitch and catch. Simple things Reed did that make all the difference in the world. Said he never took his eyes off the QB so you don't miss a signal like that. He was always reminding his teammates on the Ravens "eyes, eyes, eyes!" before the play.

Of course covering the divisional round, he had to hit on the Ravens/Bills. He noted some of the small mistakes that led up to the Jackson Pick 6. 1st down Jackson dropped the snap, making the option run take off a tad late. Doesn't get to turn the corner, only gains a yard, could have been more. 2nd down, the O-line was blocking to the left, but RT Tyre Phillips followed his assignment, but didn't block Jerry Hughes who was basically right in front of him. Instead of making that block Phillips pretty much let him through so he could go left. Feel like I've heard this about rookies before. As a rookie they are worried about doing the wrong thing pertaining to the play call, but then end up not doing the obvious thing. Certainly a rookie mistake by Phillips. Also on that play Dobbins goes too wide in his post snap action leaving him in no position to block Hughes. Jackson has to move, and gets the ball off in the dirt as he wrapped up to avoid the sack. 3rd down, Reed said the slot corner covering Snead didn't look at him like a threat. Lets him go by and just sits in the passing lane instead. We know what happened from there. Inexcusable decision to throw that pass by Jackson. But little mistakes kept the Ravens from being closer to the goal line by 3rd down which opens up more play choices. Little mistakes maybe prevented scoring on 1st or 2nd down led to that specific 3rd down situation to begin with. 

Long story short. I hope he does more of these in the future. Really great stuff. He is the Chief of Staff for the Miami Hurricanes. But I would love to have him back on staff as a coach at some point. It's rare that elite players make great coaches because elite players can't teach the god given talent that they have. Reed has both the talent, but also the knowledge, instincts, common sense, ability to clean up the little things which in turn the big things then take care of themselves. 

• 1970, St.Steveg and makoman like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#65 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:21 PM

Nick Boyle given a 2 year contract extension.

@mikeghg

#66 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

Nick Boyle given a 2 year contract extension.

Chris, Mike and I were discussing some salary cap stuff on the podcast and I didn't have a chance to bring up Boyle's cap number, which was around $7.5 mill. By extending him, we can get some relief on the number for next year. Good cap management there.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#67 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:24 PM

Chris, Mike and I were discussing some salary cap stuff on the podcast and I didn't have a chance to bring up Boyle's cap number, which was around $7.5 mill. By extending him, we can get some relief on the number for next year. Good cap management there.

Yep, he is now signed through 23.  It reduces next years number while locking up a guy they really like.

@mikeghg

#68 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,361 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:29 PM

Ravens are big fans of guaranteeing salary in order to lower cap hits.  My guess is a big chunk of his 2022 salary is guaranteed as a part of this deal.

#69 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:50 PM

Two years, $13 mill extension. 10.5 fully guaranteed. 

#70 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:13 PM

Just dont take anymore PEDs to recover

#71 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 06:33 PM

Orlando Brown just tweeted, "I am a LEFT Tackle". Can't fault a guy for wanting to get paid, but I do think this tells you more about what you'll need to pay to keep him. Or that he may not even take LT money to stay here and play RT? 

#72 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:20 PM

Orlando Brown just tweeted, "I am a LEFT Tackle". Can't fault a guy for wanting to get paid, but I do think this tells you more about what you'll need to pay to keep him. Or that he may not even take LT money to stay here and play RT?

Cant blame him. He just made the Pro Bowl mostly for his play at LT. Hopefully, its not an issue for '21 and he'll play out his rookie deal at RT before getting paid.

#73 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:35 PM

Cant blame him. He just made the Pro Bowl mostly for his play at LT. Hopefully, its not an issue for '21 and he'll play out his rookie deal at RT before getting paid.

On the other hand, we're getting our All Pro LT back and we already played a half season without Zeus at RT.

If I were EDC, I'd be quietly putting out feelers to see what Brown's value is. If you can get a few picks for him, it's something to consider.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#74 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:39 PM

On the other hand, we're getting our All Pro LT back and we already played a half season without Zeus at RT.

If I were EDC, I'd be quietly putting out feelers to see what Brown's value is. If you can get a few picks for him, it's something to consider.

For sure. Again, if another team wants to compensate us to trade our Pro Bowl LEFT Tackle then you probably should take it.

#75 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:31 PM

I would say it's about money. My guess would be the Ravens may have reached out about an extension, and Brown and his agent clearly didn't like the conversation.

I dont blame him either. Could get interesting. I don't like it. Leaving a gaping hole at RT with limited cap room isn't optimal. Mekari, Phillips or Fluker aren't the answer there. But if he's not going to be willing to play RT, Stanley is clearly the better player. And the Ravens may have no choice but to trade him.

#76 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:47 AM

Get some draft picks for him. Let him go to the Jets or the Jags and labor in obscurity. Nobody has time for this bs.

#77 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:19 AM

Don't blame him at all, he's earned it. Top NFL LT and I agree with him 100% and said before that he's a LEFT Tackle (as he tweeted).

Personally I just don't think the same way. I'll take happiness; working where the people love me and for a first class organization that's committed to spending every cent they have on winning. Top notch facilities and the whole nine yards. I also wouldn't go public and possibly lessen my trade value or make it harder on (Dad's and) my hometown team that took a chance on me.

To each their own. He's earned it. But for me, Happiness>Money when you already have money. Every player but Pollard has indicated how nice it is to play here compared to other teams who don't care as much about their players.

#78 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 02:04 PM

Don't blame him at all, he's earned it. Top NFL LT and I agree with him 100% and said before that he's a LEFT Tackle (as he tweeted).

Personally I just don't think the same way. I'll take happiness; working where the people love me and for a first class organization that's committed to spending every cent they have on winning. Top notch facilities and the whole nine yards. I also wouldn't go public and possibly lessen my trade value or make it harder on (Dad's and) my hometown team that took a chance on me.

To each their own. He's earned it. But for me, Happiness>Money when you already have money. Every player but Pollard has indicated how nice it is to play here compared to other teams who don't care as much about their players.

I honestly think this is where the Ravens are a victim of their own success. When someone gets drafted here, the coaches/front office and facilities are all they know. How many time do we hear a FA say they chose the Ravens because of the front office and facilities ? They've had the chance to see other teams. And then come here and are usually blown away. But when you're drafted here, you don't know any different.
  • BSLJamieSieck and Huddle It Up Films like this

#79 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:16 AM

I honestly think this is where the Ravens are a victim of their own success. When someone gets drafted here, the coaches/front office and facilities are all they know. How many time do we hear a FA say they chose the Ravens because of the front office and facilities ? They've had the chance to see other teams. And then come here and are usually blown away. But when you're drafted here, you don't know any different.

I am truly amazed that after all these years players still choose to leave the Ravens for the Jets.  I wonder how happy CJ Mosley is these days?

#80 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

I am truly amazed that after all these years players still choose to leave the Ravens for the Jets. I wonder how happy CJ Mosley is these days?

Money chasers will always flock to NY teams. Their market is unbeatable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=