#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:35 AM

Who else is potenially on the chopping block

Some of the bigger names where money could potentially be saved is Boyle, Williams and Peters though I dont expect any to be cut. Peters would save 9 mil with only 4 mil dead cap. Boyle would save 5.5 mil with a 2.2 mil dead cap. I think Fort might be the biggest name to be cut.

#23 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:58 AM

Saw where Ingram was not claimed so he can sign with any of the playoff teams. Also saw on PFT Urban is interviewing for Lions O coordinator job.

#24 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:39 AM

Some of the bigger names where money could potentially be saved is Boyle, Williams and Peters though I dont expect any to be cut. Peters would save 9 mil with only 4 mil dead cap. Boyle would save 5.5 mil with a 2.2 mil dead cap. I think Fort might be the biggest name to be cut.

Williams comes up every year this time, but I think he is the most underappreciated players on the team.  Everything is better on the defense when he is playing.  We saw that this year, when he was out with the ankle and also with Covid.  The defense suffered.  Williams and also Campbell came back and the defense played very well, including the Bills game.

• DuffMan likes this
@mikeghg

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:39 AM

Saw where Ingram was not claimed so he can sign with any of the playoff teams. Also saw on PFT Urban is interviewing for Lions O coordinator job.

I hope someone takes a shot.  Green Bay has had injuries to their running backs.

@mikeghg

#26 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:38 PM

I hope someone takes a shot. Green Bay has had injuries to their running backs.

GB has Aaron Jones, Jamal Williams and AJ Dillon. Hes not signing with them. I could see maybe Tampa, Buffalo or possibly KC if CEH is still not ready though.

#27 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:42 PM

I dont think Boyle or Peters are going anywhere. I could see Fort. And I don't want to see it, but I'd understand Williams. I think Tavon Young is probably a goner too.

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:24 PM

I dont think Boyle or Peters are going anywhere. I could see Fort. And I don't want to see it, but I'd understand Williams. I think Tavon Young is probably a goner too.

I was thinking Tavon too.  It is a shame, because I think he is a good player, but sadly he can not stay on the field.

I do not think Williams is going anywhere.  Look at the big games the opponents have had running against the Ravens, almost without fail BWill was not playing.

@mikeghg

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:35 PM

Tavon isn't cuttable this year.
  • makoman likes this

#30 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:52 PM

Tavon isn't cuttable this year.

Yes, this past season he restructured and also lowered his 2021 salary in return for making it guaranteed. Dead money is more than cap savings. 

#31 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:53 PM

I was thinking Tavon too. It is a shame, because I think he is a good player, but sadly he can not stay on the field.

I do not think Williams is going anywhere. Look at the big games the opponents have had running against the Ravens, almost without fail BWill was not playing.

Williams I'm not a big fan of losing. I've always advocated for Williams. However that was when he was in his mid 20's. I think he's still good. But at 31, and pretty much being just an above average NT who doesn't really do much as a pass rusher. Its hard to justify his salary.

My guess is Decosta will ask him and Boyle to restructure. And try to transfer their salary amounts into incentives. I 100% believe part of DeCosta's goals will be to lower their cap hits while trying to keep them. Williams isn't worth $14m. And Boyle isn't worth $7m.

#32 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 04:05 PM

I think an extension for both Williams and Boyle makes a lot of sense. Neither guy is going to be in a starring role for any other team. Maybe they can make big bucks next year on the market, but would they rather have a down 2021 and chance it, or be part of a SB window for maybe the next 3+ years and stay here on below market deals long-term. That could create space but also solidfy some depth longer term. 

#33 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:07 PM

I think an extension for both Williams and Boyle makes a lot of sense. Neither guy is going to be in a starring role for any other team. Maybe they can make big bucks next year on the market, but would they rather have a down 2021 and chance it, or be part of a SB window for maybe the next 3+ years and stay here on below market deals long-term. That could create space but also solidfy some depth longer term.

I'm not sure either would see a big pay day on the market. Boyle might be one of the best at what he does, but the demand for blocking TE's just isn't there. Same with NT's. They're both going the way of the big, run stuffing ILB. Not to mention Williams is 31, and has almost not ability to rush the passer. I like Williams. I like what be does. And I think it's a much needed skill set when we play Tennessee. But I wouldn't be paying him anything over $10m a year at this point in his career. And Boyle, I think should be around $3-$5m a year. Not $7m.

With the emergence of Madubuike. I really could see Decosta asking Williams to take a pay cut. And resigning Wolfe to a team friendly deal. If Williams and his agent say no, I think he's gone.

This FA and draft class are loaded with offensive talent. We need to add pieces on that side of the ball. If we have to sacrifice Williams in order to sign someone like Golladay, Robinson, Juju, Thuney or Scherff. You almost have to do it. Any one of those guys adds more to this team than Williams.

#34 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:13 PM

Yup. Agreed, Biggsy. I love Boyle, but long thought we overpaid him a bit. Frankly, we missed him some, but not to the tune of $7 mill hit, IMO. I think Williams is probably close to being done, and would want to do his best to stay a Raven for life. If we could put him on a 3/18-20ish extension for the next 3 seasons, you have to think he'd strongly think about it, especially if the thought that mean 4 more SB shots thanks to this cap contributions. 

As for FA targets, totally agree. Thuney and Scherff are top of the list for me. Then Robinson. Then any depth or veteran on the OL. The farther we get from the debacle of the Buffalo game, the more I think we just need to better match our personnel for what we want to do. And a dominant OL is that. I think we can live without the big time receiver, but we need much better play for the OL and much better contingency plans if someone gets hurt. 

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:21 PM

The potential lowered cap is such a wildcard this year. I've got no idea how that will impact guys, but there are definitely going to be some free agents left having to take deals they don't like. In the past the Ravens have been pretty great at finding those guys. I'd love to make a huge early splash in WR and then wait out the rest of the market at other positions of need.
  • JordanKough likes this

#36 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:30 PM

Yup. Agreed, Biggsy. I love Boyle, but long thought we overpaid him a bit. Frankly, we missed him some, but not to the tune of $7 mill hit, IMO. I think Williams is probably close to being done, and would want to do his best to stay a Raven for life. If we could put him on a 3/18-20ish extension for the next 3 seasons, you have to think he'd strongly think about it, especially if the thought that mean 4 more SB shots thanks to this cap contributions.

As for FA targets, totally agree. Thuney and Scherff are top of the list for me. Then Robinson. Then any depth or veteran on the OL. The farther we get from the debacle of the Buffalo game, the more I think we just need to better match our personnel for what we want to do. And a dominant OL is that. I think we can live without the big time receiver, but we need much better play for the OL and much better contingency plans if someone gets hurt.

Agree 100%. Especially on the offensive side. If we want to win with our offensive scheme. The O-line has to be a dominant unit. You have Stanley and Brown. Bozeman is serviceable. If you can get Scherff or Thuney. And try and get a vet like Mack in here who at this point wants to win more than make money. I think thats pretty dominant.

I agree with Robinson as well. Robinson doesn't have the youth of a guy like Golladay. But he's still got some juice left. And at this point, Robinson may be willing to take a little less to play with a good QB on a superbowl contender. Not to mention, his skillset is exactly what we need. He wins even when he's not open. He makes plays at all three levels. And he knows where to go against zone coverage. I think Golladay or Godwin are a pipe dream Especially with a team like Cleveland having a ton of money to spend. I think Robinson or Juju are more likely.

With the cap being a mess this year, I think we see a lot of big name guys taking 1 year deals for smaller amounts. Could be wrong on that.

#37 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:52 PM

Cullen is now gone along with MacDonald and Minter. 

Honestly, that’s a lot of coaches from the defensive unit. Hopefully they prevent anymore from leaving the defense 

Roll Tide

#38 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:21 PM

I'm not sure either would see a big pay day on the market. Boyle might be one of the best at what he does, but the demand for blocking TE's just isn't there. Same with NT's. They're both going the way of the big, run stuffing ILB. Not to mention Williams is 31, and has almost not ability to rush the passer. I like Williams. I like what be does. And I think it's a much needed skill set when we play Tennessee. But I wouldn't be paying him anything over $10m a year at this point in his career. And Boyle, I think should be around $3-$5m a year. Not $7m.

With the emergence of Madubuike. I really could see Decosta asking Williams to take a pay cut. And resigning Wolfe to a team friendly deal. If Williams and his agent say no, I think he's gone.

This FA and draft class are loaded with offensive talent. We need to add pieces on that side of the ball. If we have to sacrifice Williams in order to sign someone like Golladay, Robinson, Juju, Thuney or Scherff. You almost have to do it. Any one of those guys adds more to this team than Williams.

If we are going to run a 3-4 we need a guy like Williams to take up space in the middle. That said I think we gave up on Ngata when he was around 31, and that seems to have been the right move. Don't NTs break down earlier than most other positions?

#39 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:01 PM

If we are going to run a 3-4 we need a guy like Williams to take up space in the middle. That said I think we gave up on Ngata when he was around 31, and that seems to have been the right move. Don't NTs break down earlier than most other positions?

I dont have any evidence of that. But I imagine a 350 lbs dude's legs that basically takes on 2 guys every play without moving, have a relatively short shelf life compared to other positions.

I dont want to lose Williams. But he isn't worth his salary.

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:22 AM

$7.5M in new money for Williams in 2021, which is the final year of his contract.  He'll be 32 next season.  If the Ravens cut him, in this lowered cap environment, I think he'd struggle to get near that $7.5M.  So I think an short extension that lowers his salary and cap hits quite a bit seems reasonable for both sides.  

I don't know exactly how much I'd expect him to get, but something like 3/$15M with 50% guaranteed seems fair to me.  That guarantees him exactly what he'd have gotten paid in 2021 but lowers the cap hit and sets him up with some lowered salary for '22-23.  Something like $6M bonus with $1.5M guaranteed 2021 base salary then $3M salary in 2022 and $4.5M salary in 2023.  Cap hits of $3.5M, $4.5M, and $6.5M the next 3 years (plus $6.92M in 2021 which is his remaining bonus proration that counts against the cap no matter what they do with him).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=