2525 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:34 AM

Campbell doesn't seem like a paycut candidate, but I do think he's an extension candidate to flatten his cap hit a bit.

He's due $10M salary ($5M of which is already guaranteed so releasing him doesn't make sense).  Could add a year to his contract that converts salary to bonus and spread it into next year.  This could be a purely on-paper change, the contract could be written so it automatically voids after the year.  Convert that $10M salary to $2M salary and $8M bonus and then instead of counting $10M in 2021 it'd be $6M in 2021 and $4M in 2022.  You would lose any comp pick benefits that Campbell would have as a FA if his deal ended after 2021, since you'd technically be cutting him after the season.

Alternatively if they actually want to set up for him to return in 2022, you just agree on a salary, probably have to guarantee a small amount of it so that Campbell has reason to lock himself into a number.

#42 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:30 AM

$7.5M in new money for Williams in 2021, which is the final year of his contract.  He'll be 32 next season.  If the Ravens cut him, in this lowered cap environment, I think he'd struggle to get near that $7.5M.  So I think an short extension that lowers his salary and cap hits quite a bit seems reasonable for both sides.  

I don't know exactly how much I'd expect him to get, but something like 3/$15M with 50% guaranteed seems fair to me.  That guarantees him exactly what he'd have gotten paid in 2021 but lowers the cap hit and sets him up with some lowered salary for '22-23.  Something like $6M bonus with $1.5M guaranteed 2021 base salary then $3M salary in 2022 and $4.5M salary in 2023.  Cap hits of $3.5M, $4.5M, and $6.5M the next 3 years (plus $6.92M in 2021 which is his remaining bonus proration that counts against the cap no matter what they do with him).

If he's willing to do a 3/15 extended that only puts a $2 mill cap hit for cut in the 3rd year, the Ravens should be all over that. 

#43 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:04 PM

Per Zrebiec, Rob Ryan is new LB coach. Interestingly, Wink was LB coach when Ryan was DC of Oakland.

ETA also Anthony Weaver new DL coach. Former Raven of course, also was Houston DC in 2020.

• Mike B, Mike in STL and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

Per Zrebiec, Rob Ryan is new LB coach. Interestingly, Wink was LB coach when Ryan was DC of Oakland.

ETA also Anthony Weaver new DL coach. Former Raven of course, also was current Houston DC.

I think I like both moves.  I have no interest in having Rob Ryan as a DC, but as a LB coach, I think that is a good hire.

Weaver was one of my favorite early Ravens so welcome back.

• Mike in STL, PrimeTime and makoman like this
@mikeghg

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:18 PM

Seem like great hires.  Certainly lots of qualifications for both.  Also like bringing Weaver back since he played here.

• Mike B and Mike in STL like this

#46 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:27 PM

I think I like both moves.  I have no interest in having Rob Ryan as a DC, but as a LB coach, I think that is a good hire.

Weaver was one of my favorite early Ravens so welcome back.

I agree with all of that. I know nothing specific about their position coaching, except that I'd guess that usually guys who are good enough to become coordinators were probably decent position coaches, so having them back in those roles works for me. Wink obviously has history with Ryan.

Weaver is only 40. We seem to like to promote from within so he could be a candidate whenever Wink moves on. His Houston defense was bad this year but that team was just a mess all around so who knows how much of the blame is his.

• Mike B and PrimeTime like this

#47 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

I agree with all of that. I know nothing specific about their position coaching, except that I'd guess that usually guys who are good enough to become coordinators were probably decent position coaches, so having them back in those roles works for me. Wink obviously has history with Ryan.

Weaver is only 40. We seem to like to promote from within so he could be a candidate whenever Wink moves on. His Houston defense was bad this year but that team was just a mess all around so who knows how much of the blame is his.

I think both fit withwhat Wink does.  Wink was schooled in the Ryan system, so Rob seems like a smooth transition.  Anthony played for Rex, so he fits too.                   

@mikeghg

#48 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

I think both fit withwhat Wink does.  Wink was schooled in the Ryan system, so Rob seems like a smooth transition.  Anthony played for Rex, so he fits too.                   

Weaver got his first NFL coaching job from Rex too. 

Wink was also LB coach while Rex was DC at Cincinnati U in 96-97. Harbaugh was special teams coordinator there in 96. Funny how small a world the coaching world can be.

• Mike in STL and kudzu like this

#49 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:56 PM

Marlon Humphrey got some wings in the mail from the Bills, pretty wholesome relationship we've between the teams https://twitter.com/...760532089122818

• Huddle It Up Films likes this

she/her

#50 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:42 PM

Dominique Foxworth should be ashamed of himself for being so judgmental about Bills fans. Glad to see our Ravens fans step up and return the favor to Josh Allen.

#51 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:46 PM

Didn't see this posted here but it's all over social media. Judon wants 20 million!

Thank goodness. I'm glad we're not in a position to even try to keep him. I didn't want him back; remember way back in Oct/Nov I floated the idea of offering Bowser 4/32 to see if he'd bite. Best news I've heard all week. I just hope he doesn't Clowney himself out of a deal that gets us a 3rd round comp.

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

Didn't see this posted here but it's all over social media. Judon wants 20 million!

Thank goodness. I'm glad we're not in a position to even try to keep him. I didn't want him back; remember way back in Oct/Nov I floated the idea of offering Bowser 4/32 to see if he'd bite. Best news I've heard all week. I just hope he doesn't Clowney himself out of a deal that gets us a 3rd round comp.

In the current environment Judon is not getting anywhere near close to 20 per year 

@mikeghg

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:35 PM

How many years? :)

He won't get that, even if it wasn't a down cap year.
  • Huddle It Up Films likes this

#54 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:17 AM

I agree that these are good moves! I’m surprised Rob accepted a lower role than DC. I was kind expecting that they might give him the Asst Head coach to cover him.

Roll Tide

#55 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:18 AM

He immediately responded to Eli’s Hensley’s claim

Judon quickly fired back on Instagram saying that he’s yet to even talk to the Ravens, much less has asked for $20 million a year. But in his typical joking manner, Judon pulled down his sunglasses at the end of the video and added, “20 M . . . I’m with it.”

Source: Ravenswire

Roll Tide

#56 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:22 AM

"We lost a great man," former Broncos receiver Rod Smith wrote via Instagram. "Just happened to be a hell of a ball playa. We love you and miss you Bone. One of the Broncos all time best tackles. greatest dresser of ALL-TIME!"

https://www.cbssport...ens-dies-at-54/

Roll Tide

#57 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:05 PM

He immediately responded to Eli’s Hensley’s claim

Source: Ravenswire

He'll want $15m+ per year. And we should 100% not pay him that either.

#58 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:35 AM

He'll want $15m+ per year. And we should 100% not pay him that either.

I’m not saying that i disagree. But I think it would be a bad mistake to go into the season with Bowser, Ferguson,  McPhee, and a rookie DE or two. I’m assuming they bring back Bowser and McPhee because they can be had cheap.

Roll Tide

#59 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:57 AM

I’m not saying that i disagree. But I think it would be a bad mistake to go into the season with Bowser, Ferguson, McPhee, and a rookie DE or two. I’m assuming they bring back Bowser and McPhee because they can be had cheap.

Bowser us our best edge rusher anyway. He 100% should be resigned.

Judon simply isn't worth it. For $8-$10m, I'm in. Hes worth that. Anything more, that's just a waste of cap room.

#60 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:06 PM

I heard a press conference with EDC on WBAL today. He said that he planned to get together with Lamar Jackson within the next two weeks to discuss an extension. He said that he wanted Lamar to be a Raven for a long time. Hopefully, the two sides can work out an agreement that benefits all. Lamar deserves the financial and career stability of an extension.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=