• PrimeTime and Huddle It Up Films like this

#2 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:12 AM

On the Orlando Brown front... There were two plays last night where he showed some obvious and blatant lack of hustle. That isn't a completely new observation either, and given the magnitude of the game, concerns me even more.

On the INT return TD, you can see the Bills DB literally run right past him, with Brown looking at him (so I wouldn't buy a "he didn't realize he had the ball" argument). I get it, Brown's a big heavy OL and that guy was a smaller speedy DB. I'm not saying he should have or even could have tackled him. But he COULD HAVE made a better effort.

Also on the Huntley fumble (he was down anyway) you see Brown watching the tackle being made, but make ZERO effort to close ground, follow the play/ball, etc. When it pops out, he's not in position to fall on it. If he follows the play, he probably is.

#3 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:55 AM

On the Orlando Brown front... There were two plays last night where he showed some obvious and blatant lack of hustle. That isn't a completely new observation either, and given the magnitude of the game, concerns me even more.

On the INT return TD, you can see the Bills DB literally run right past him, with Brown looking at him (so I wouldn't buy a "he didn't realize he had the ball" argument). I get it, Brown's a big heavy OL and that guy was a smaller speedy DB. I'm not saying he should have or even could have tackled him. But he COULD HAVE made a better effort.

Also on the Huntley fumble (he was down anyway) you see Brown watching the tackle being made, but make ZERO effort to close ground, follow the play/ball, etc. When it pops out, he's not in position to fall on it. If he follows the play, he probably is.

I mean. I get that I guess. But I could care less. If he does his job as a blocker, which he does consistently really well. I'm fine with him not selling out on an INT or fumble. He doesn't get paid to make tackles or recover fumbles, he gets paid to open holes or protect his QB. And he does that.

#4 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:17 PM

I mean. I get that I guess. But I could care less. If he does his job as a blocker, which he does consistently really well. I'm fine with him not selling out on an INT or fumble. He doesn't get paid to make tackles or recover fumbles, he gets paid to open holes or protect his QB. And he does that.

As I mentioned earlier, I think Brown is going to be looking for an extension with LT money. I think you trade one of him and Stanley. He’s probably a lot easier and will bring more back. Should be able to get a #1 for him and there is like 8 teams looking for a left tackle

Roll Tide

#5 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:24 PM

As I mentioned earlier, I think Brown is going to be looking for an extension with LT money. I think you trade one of him and Stanley. He’s probably a lot easier and will bring more back. Should be able to get a #1 for him and there is like 8 teams looking for a left tackle

Yes. Lets waste a pick on a rookie QB with a top 10 QB who is only 23 already on the roster. Then let's take an offensive line with issues, and put another gaping hole in it. That makes a ton of sense.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#6 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:28 PM

Yes. Lets waste a pick on a rookie QB with a top 10 QB who is only 23 already on the roster. Then let's take an offensive line with issues, and put another gaping hole in it. That makes a ton of sense.

They need to draft a center or guard moving Bozeman a center in college. Mekari can be moved to RT and you also have Phillips. They can’t afford to pay both Brown and Stanley LT money. So what do you suggest? Let his contract run out and collecting a 3rd round comp pick? 

Roll Tide

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

I'd rather have a good vet than a 1st for Brown. Matchup may be tough to find so you can defacto 3-way trade by trading our 1st for a player and acquire a 1st for Brown.

Golladay is the guy I'd like to see acquired. I can't imagine the Lions not tagging him so I think it'd take a high pick to acquire.

#8 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:18 PM

They need to draft a center or guard moving Bozeman a center in college. Mekari can be moved to RT and you also have Phillips. They can’t afford to pay both Brown and Stanley LT money. So what do you suggest? Let his contract run out and collecting a 3rd round comp pick?

I talk to Brown about his contract demands first. Assuming we can't afford him without even negotiating is a huge mistake. IF his demands are too much, I maybe start looking for a trade. If I can swing a deal for him at the expense of someone like Judon, I 100% make the move to keep Brown.

#9 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:24 PM

Also, just assuming we can't afford him without even looking at the cap situation is extremely naive. You have vets like Campbell and Williams with huge cap numbers. I'd rather shed them and keep Brown as well.

I'll take a top young tackle over a DT in his mid 30's every time.

#10 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:28 PM

I'd rather have a good vet than a 1st for Brown. Matchup may be tough to find so you can defacto 3-way trade by trading our 1st for a player and acquire a 1st for Brown.

Golladay is the guy I'd like to see acquired. I can't imagine the Lions not tagging him so I think it'd take a high pick to acquire.

That wouldn't be a bad idea!

Roll Tide

#11 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:16 PM

As I mentioned, the Bills defense was set up to stop our running game. Simple short passes could’ve slowed their blitz and opened things up. I’m sorry but Rodgers/Brees/Brady pick apart that approach and you can’t blame the failure to effectively pass short on the wind.

Roll Tide

#12 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:40 PM

The criticism of both Lamar Jackson and Greg Roman after this loss is expected and understandable. But whatever plays you call or try to run are not going to work if the offensive line is getting beat like a drum. Lamar, JK, and Gus don't require a big hole to run through, but there has to be some hole and at least a second or two of protection, and the Ravens just flat out got whipped in that department. The OL had been playing pretty well for the previous five or so games, but not so much in Buffalo.

Also, what the heck is the deal with the bad snaps? I've been following NFL football for decades and I don't think I've ever seen that simple but key action be such a challenge. I try not to over simplify, but to me if a guy makes two bad snaps he's gone before he makes another. Whatever happened to Colon-Castillo? I thought he did well in limited playing time.

#13 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:01 PM

The criticism of both Lamar Jackson and Greg Roman after this loss is expected and understandable. But whatever plays you call or try to run are not going to work if the offensive line is getting beat like a drum. Lamar, JK, and Gus don't require a big hole to run through, but there has to be some hole and at least a second or two of protection, and the Ravens just flat out got whipped in that department. The OL had been playing pretty well for the previous five or so games, but not so much in Buffalo.

Also, what the heck is the deal with the bad snaps? I've been following NFL football for decades and I don't think I've ever seen that simple but key action be such a challenge. I try not to over simplify, but to me if a guy makes two bad snaps he's gone before he makes another. Whatever happened to Colon-Castillo? I thought he did well in limited playing time.

The Bills had 11 players in the box on many plays because of the stupid pistol formations that they like Jackson to run out of. I mentioned that going 3-4 WR formations from sideline to sideline would’ve forced to spread out the defense somewhat. The blitzes were jail break where the quick throws eat it up and force them to back off. Lamar was never able to make the short quick reads. The line wasn’t great and the snapping was off last night. Everything that could go wrong did and we still only trailed by 7 initial the 101 yard pick 6.

Sadly, we probably wasted a defense playing its best football that might’ve carried the Ravens to the title.
Roll Tide

#14 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:11 PM

To play devils advocate a little, was it a waste when the Packers drafted Jordan Love? Didn’t hurt their team this year one bit.
@BSLMikeRandall

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:12 PM

To play devils advocate a little, was it a waste when the Packers drafted Jordan Love?

Rodgers was 36. Not apples to apples, IMO.

And, I'd argue, yes.

#16 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:21 PM

Please forgive if this has been discussed already...

Bills fans donate $150K to Lamar's favorite charity...

https://www.baltimor...avorite-charity

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:29 PM

Mentioned in the game thread but worth mentioning again. Pretty cool stuff. Was rooting for them anyway, but even more so now.

#18 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:39 PM

To play devils advocate a little, was it a waste when the Packers drafted Jordan Love? Didn’t hurt their team this year one bit.

Or the Patriots drafted Garrapolo, Cassel, and Brady when they had Bledsoe. 

Roll Tide

#19 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

Good stuff...very classy by Bills fans

Roll Tide

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:43 PM

Rodgers was 36. Not apples to apples, IMO.

And, I'd argue, yes.

Not directly, no. But you could say that they made the draft pick with the idea that they don’t know how many good years Rodgers has left. Of course Rodgers said “hold my beer” and is going to be MVP.

In Lamar’s case, I don’t know how many good years he has left. He was an MVP. Regressed more than a little bit. If he regresses farther next season, I’m not extending him, and his 5th year would have to be a prove it year.

I also think every team should have a guy with a high ceiling on hand so you don’t have to say “seasons over if our QB misses any significant time”.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=