222 replies to this topic

#1 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

Tide isn't going to like this:  Lamar Jackson, Ravens to explore big extension in offseason (nfl.com)

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:05 PM

Great news. I think the timing makes sense. Get it done.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:21 PM

I expect about halfway to Mahomes above Watson in terms of AAV but a structure that looks much more like Watson's.

Won't really balloon until his sixth year, which would be a tag year if he wasn't extended. Ravens will scale back salaries around his 4th year, 5th option, tag year, then Mahomes/Watson value in similar true FA years.

#4 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:24 PM

Wasn't the deal Mahomes signed essentially an extension, with some bonus money up front? If that's the case, his cap number in theory wouldn't change from projections for the next two years, right? 

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:30 PM

Yes, his cap figures won't change much in '21 or '22. They'll use guaranteed roster bonuses moreso than a big signing bonus so they can push out the cap increases rather than divide the signing bonus equally.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

BTW, want to help your mom (agent) out with this? Go win 3 more games. ;)

#7 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:58 PM

Tide isn't going to like this:  Lamar Jackson, Ravens to explore big extension in offseason (nfl.com)

I just threw up in my mouth.....No just kidding as you have to assume it was coming.

Roll Tide

#8 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:54 AM

Had the Ravens been able to finish drives with points, they very well could have won this game. But, credit to the Bills’ defense and coordinator Leslie Frazier. Buffalo did a great job of dialing up blitzes but staying disciplined on the edges, harassing Jackson every time he dropped back or went to run. The Bills bet that stopping the run and blitzing Jackson was the key to victory and they were absolutely right.

Honestly, 3 out of 4 playoff games have been subpar and really only scored 20 last week in the game we won. The Bills completely took away the run, especially from Jackson. 

Did he choke or can’t handle the pressure? Pedro called him dumb which I obviously don’t think is true. I just think he makes untimely bad decisions and is streaky. When his confidence is high he plays all world and the ability to run opens up the pass. When the games are tight against good teams he struggles. There were passes there that he clearly missed.

30 plus points per games against the have nots and 13 points per game in the playoffs. 

The defense showed up big and folks will want to blame Roman or Harbaugh. But, they put the ball in the hands of what they perceive as their best player and he couldn’t get it done.

Huntley came in and the passing game was suddenly there! If he hits Brown on that pass and Andrews on the final offense play we could’ve won.

Im not putting the game all on Jackson as the snapping, Koch’ punt, and missed kicks by Tucker really hurt. But, you put the ball in the hands of your best player and expect him to get it done. 

Guys like Rodgers and Brees hit the quick passes and stop the defense from stacking the box. Huntley did that upon entering the game. But, Jackson wasn’t capable. 

I know you guys hate it ...but it’s a mistake to give Lamar a big contract.

https://ravenswire.u...s-nfl-playoffs/

Roll Tide

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:06 AM

No it's not. Pay the man. He'll get over the hump at some point.

• DuffMan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#10 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:54 AM

Here's the thing... I don't see the Ravens makig much effort to incorporate the quick hitter short stuff in the passing game. That goes beyond Lamar, but it was never featured much in most of Flacco's time here either. I have to assume THAT consistent, long term history comes from on high.

Huntley moved them a bit, sure. They were also in a "keep in front and tackle" mode at that point too. All sorts of backups put up yardage in "down two scores late" action.

When's the last time you recall a game where they ran an inside pitch? A few WR screens? These aren't things that Lamar can't physically perform. Hell, ANY QB almost can make those quick tosses. Those sorts of things have never really been something this offense has incorporated. Which I think is sort of shameful. Lamar is not Brady or Brees or Mahomes, and doesn't have the arm strength of an Allen or Rodgers. He thrives off the options of threats that HE poses to a defense. But it certainly appears that when an opponent decides to basically go all out to stop Lamar above all else... the Ravens struggle to adapt and become almost completely punchless. Getting the ball out of his hands quickly (when called for) is not a thing they seem to care about. If they did, we'd see it happen more in these games. If he's missing simple screens, or inside pitches are getting stuffed anyway, or the jet sweep guy is getting tackled at the line, okay... then tell me you need better players. Yes, Tucker missed a couple FGs and targets dropped some catchable balls. They're NOT BLAMELESS either. But I don't see the staff putting them in the best position to succeed when things get tough.
  • BSLJamieSieck likes this

#11 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:55 AM

No it's not. Pay the man. He'll get over the hump at some point.

I don't think he will ...but

I think I like the Cowboys approach in this case!

I think he's really worth no more than Watson at this point!

Watson got a 4 year extension and Mahomes a 10 year. They could give him a 5-6 year deal with very low bases a big bonus and bases that can be cut later without huge salary impact!

Let me be extra clear .... I let him play years 4 and 5 plus a tag year. I really like the Dallas approach in Lamar's case .

According to Spotrac, Lamar Jackson has a market value of around $43.5 million per year on a four-year contract extension. Bridging the gap in annual value between Mahomes at $45 million and Watson at $39 million seems reasonable

https://www.profootb....timore-ravens/

Lamar's next two years look like 21 million over two years and $27 million for franchise tag year 1.

So if you average it the three years cost you $48 million or 16 Million per year.

So you give him a $50 million bonus and base salaries of $1million, $2 million, and $3 million base for the three years and then three more years at $35 million, $40 million and $45 million.

So in writing he's getting a 6 year 176 million deal (and spread the bonus over the first 3 years)! Watson got 4 years and $156 million after year 3.

Cap number are

2021 $16.6 milliom

2022 $17.6 million

2023 $18.6 million

2024 $35 million (you can give him a roster bonus if he's on the team in this year of say $30 million and bases of $30 million per) Either you keep him before the 2024 season and rework his deal or cut him with little or no impact to the cap)

2025 $40 million

2026 $45 million

Again ...I'm not paying him ...You tell him take the above or you will run his 5 years out and a tag year. The Ravens really have all the leverage and I think Lamar will likely take the money.

On Watson, After year 3 of his contract he can be cut in 2023 with a 10 million hit or 2024 with a $5 million hit despite being guaranteed $110 million of his contract. And based on what we've seen, I think Watson is the better Quarterback even if he's not the better athlete!

https://www.spotrac.....-watson-21753/

https://www.pro-foot....W/WatsDe00.htm

Roll Tide

#12 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:56 AM

Here's the thing... I don't see the Ravens makig much effort to incorporate the quick hitter short stuff in the passing game. That goes beyond Lamar, but it was never featured much in most of Flacco's time here either. I have to assume THAT consistent, long term history comes from on high.

When's the last time you recall a game where they ran an inside pitch? A few WR screens? These aren't things that Lamar can't play physically perform. Hell, ANY QB almost can make those quick tosses. Those sorts of things have never really been something this offense has incorporated. Which I think is sort of shameful. Lamar is not Brady or Brees or Mahomes, and doesn't have the arm strength of an Allen or Rodgers. He thrives off the options of threats that HE poses to a defense. But it certainly appears that when an opponent decides to basically go all out to stop Lamar above all else... the Ravens struggle to adapt and become almost completely punchless. Getting the ball out of his hands quickly (when called for) is not a thing they seem to care about. If they did, we'd see it happen more in these games. If he's missing simple screens, or inside pitches are getting stuffed anyway, or the jet sweep guy is getting tackled at the line, okay... then tell me you need better players. Yes, Tucker missed a couple FGs and targets dropped some catchable balls. They're NOT BLAMELESS either. But I don't see the staff putting them in the best position to succeed when things get tough.

I was wrong about it for Joe ...Edited to delete info. I just remember Joe throwing way too many passes short of the sticks.

Roll Tide

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:41 AM

Honestly, 3 out of 4 playoff games have been subpar and really only scored 20 last week in the game we won. The Bills completely took away the run, especially from Jackson.

Did he choke or can’t handle the pressure? Pedro called him dumb which I obviously don’t think is true. I just think he makes untimely bad decisions and is streaky. When his confidence is high he plays all world and the ability to run opens up the pass. When the games are tight against good teams he struggles. There were passes there that he clearly missed.

30 plus points per games against the have nots and 13 points per game in the playoffs.

The defense showed up big and folks will want to blame Roman or Harbaugh. But, they put the ball in the hands of what they perceive as their best player and he couldn’t get it done.

Huntley came in and the passing game was suddenly there! If he hits Brown on that pass and Andrews on the final offense play we could’ve one.

Im not putting the game all on Jackson as the snapping, Koch’ punt, and missed kicks by Tucker really hurt. But, you put the ball in the hands of your best player and expect him to get it done.

Guys like Rodgers and Brees hit the quick passes and stop the defense from stacking the box. Huntley did that upon entering the game. But, Jackson wasn’t capable.

You're intolerable with this.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:43 AM

Huntley came in and the passing game was suddenly there! If he hits Brown on that pass and Andrews on the final offense play we could’ve won.

Come on, this is so wrong it borders on dishonesty. Huntley did not elevate the passing game last night.

#15 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:55 AM

Huntley moved them a bit, sure. They were also in a "keep in front and tackle" mode at that point too. All sorts of backups put up yardage in "down two scores late" action.

When's the last time you recall a game where they ran an inside pitch? A few WR screens? These aren't things that Lamar can't physically perform. Hell, ANY QB almost can make those quick tosses. Those sorts of things have never really been something this offense has incorporated. Which I think is sort of shameful. Lamar is not Brady or Brees or Mahomes, and doesn't have the arm strength of an Allen or Rodgers. He thrives off the options of threats that HE poses to a defense. But it certainly appears that when an opponent decides to basically go all out to stop Lamar above all else... the Ravens struggle to adapt and become almost completely punchless. Getting the ball out of his hands quickly (when called for) is not a thing they seem to care about. If they did, we'd see it happen more in these games. If he's missing simple screens, or inside pitches are getting stuffed anyway, or the jet sweep guy is getting tackled at the line, okay... then tell me you need better players. Yes, Tucker missed a couple FGs and targets dropped some catchable balls. They're NOT BLAMELESS either. But I don't see the staff putting them in the best position to succeed when things get tough.

When I watch KC today, I'll be thinking about pretty much everything you said because their offense is so multi-dimensional and seemingly endless in offensive play calling.  Granted, they have the personnel to maximize the strategies but why can't the Ravens at least entertain the idea of trying different plays?  Roman is undoubtedly one of the finest, if not the best, run game guru but when it comes to a passing attack, he's horrible.  Very vanilla and hindering.  

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:20 PM

I’m not giving Jackson an extension yet. He would have to threaten a hold out for me to entertain it. Give it another year. If the Ravens hand is forced, make it team friendly, so they can get out of it relatively easy in three years. Jimmy Gs contract looked big, 5/$147M, $74M guaranteed. But after the third year, which is right now, the Niners can cut bait with a measly $2M some odd cap hit and $24M or so in savings. Rather that than the Flacco type deals where it’s so backloaded another extension is automatic in three more years.

But I’d honestly have to look at the upcoming cap situation to see if you could front load a Lamar contract, if your hand was forced.

He was a solid rookie when given the chance. He was an MVP, and now he has regressed. I need, and have, one or two more years to know if he’s the franchise or not. After 5 years I don’t see the need to play the franchise tag game. It doesn’t benefit the player which can be a detriment to the team. He’s either your guy, or not, and if not, I hope they have drafted a serious candidate to replace him before 2023.
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:35 PM

Come on, this is so wrong it borders on dishonesty. Huntley did not elevate the passing game last night.

What, 6-13 for 60 yards, less than 5 yards per attempt, isn’t “suddenly there” to you?

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

What's the alternative?

• russsnyder likes this

#19 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:46 PM

What's the alternative?

Great point.

This offense has been built around Lamar.

It has resulted in three playoff appearances and an MVP for Lamar.

One alternative may be delaying the extension. I say get it done sooner than later. He's the face, heart, and soul of the franchise. They are not even a playoff team without him.
  • BSLJamieSieck likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:50 PM

Front loading a contract is a bad idea from a general cap management standpoint. You can carry cap space forward, so there is no benefit to front loading. It's like giving out interest-free loans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=