#21 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:26 PM

LB Chance Campbell has entered the transfer portal. Most people expected him to return after he wasn't part of the team's Senior Day honors. While there's plenty of young depth behind him, this is still a massive loss for Maryland's defense. Campbell led the team in tackles and tackles for loss last season, and was the leader of Hoke's defensive unit.

@BSLZackKiesel

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:28 PM

LB Chance Campbell has entered the transfer portal. Most people expected him to return after he wasn't part of the team's Senior Day honors. While there's plenty of young depth behind him, this is still a massive loss for Maryland's defense. Campbell led the team in tackles and tackles for loss last season.

Guess the young LB's will see even more time.  Jeez, that's disappointing. 

Season been over for awhile. Wonder what pushed the decision after he had time to think about it.

#23 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:55 PM

Season been over for awhile. Wonder what pushed the decision after he had time to think about it.

His younger brother committed to Air Force two weeks ago, he may have been waiting for that if his goal is to stay close to him.

Right now I'm projecting Ruben Hyppolite II and Fa'Najae Gotay to start, but Gereme Spraggins, Terrence Lewis, and Branden Jennings should all see time.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLRoseKatz like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:05 PM

I don't know how true this may be, but Ahmed Ghafir (who usually has good insight into the program) said because Chance would be on his 3rd position coach in 3 years, plus with so many freshmen coming in, that he was concerned he'd be asked to do more coaching of young players and not have enough opportunity to be on the receiving end of coaching himself (and he's thinking NFL with that).

#25 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:45 AM

Director of Recruiting Operations Taylor Edwards has been hired away by South Carolina.

There are also rumblings going around that Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach Joker Phillips is on his way out.

@BSLZackKiesel

#26 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:00 AM

Director of Recruiting Operations Taylor Edwards has been hired away by South Carolina.

There are also rumblings going around that Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach Joker Phillips is on his way out.

Sounds like we'll have plenty to chat about on the next Talking Terps episode. It's a shame to see Joker go if that pans out that way.

#27 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:57 AM

IMS: Maryland football: assistant coach leaves Terps staff

Maryland wide receivers coach Joker Phillips is leaving for the same job at N.C. State.

It's unclear if Locksley suggested Phillips pursue a job elsewhere, or Phillips left on his own accord.

@BSLZackKiesel

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

I imagine we'll know more about Phillips' decision when the details of his contract at NC State are released. Money talks.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#29 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

The good news here is that both the wide receiver and inside linebacker positions may be the ones with the most talent on the roster, and should be attractive for position coaches to work with.

@BSLZackKiesel

#30 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:27 PM

Now Hoke gone. He'll be the new Falcons DB coach.

#31 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:44 PM

Now Hoke gone. He'll be the new Falcons DB coach.

That's a massive loss, and definitely unexpected. There aren't any natural candidates to promote from within, so expect Locksley to have to look externally for a new defensive coordinator and safeties coach.

@BSLZackKiesel

#32 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:53 PM

That's a massive loss, and definitely unexpected. There aren't any natural candidates to promote from within, so expect Locksley to have to look externally for a new defensive coordinator and safeties coach.

I agree it's a massive loss because it was unexpected, but I don't necessarily think it's that big of a deal from a coaching talent standpoint. Not sure how much of the defense's success last year was because of him, and I've seen plenty of bad defense under him too. I think Maryland can rebound from this if they make a good hire. But, like you said, would have been nice to been able to start the search earlier and with a plan in mind. 

#33 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:03 PM

I agree it's a massive loss because it was unexpected, but I don't necessarily think it's that big of a deal from a coaching talent standpoint. Not sure how much of the defense's success last year was because of him, and I've seen plenty of bad defense under him too. I think Maryland can rebound from this if they make a good hire. But, like you said, would have been nice to been able to start the search earlier and with a plan in mind. 

We've speculated before that the team may move to a 4-3 scheme this season. If that's something Locksley wants to do then this is his opportunity to bring in a new defensive coordinator, similar to the 2015 season when Brian Stewart left for Nebraska and Randy Edsall promoted Keith Dudzinski to switch to the 4-3.

• BSLPatDonohue likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#34 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:25 PM

DB Vincent Flythe has entered the transfer portal.
@BSLZackKiesel

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:25 PM

I guess we will also find out if Brian Williams’ new Co-DC title was just a formality to get him a raise, or an actual promotion.

#36 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:05 PM

Sounds like former Florida and Illinois head coach Ron Zook will be Maryland's new Special Teams Coordinator. He's been on Locksley's staff since 2019 as a Senior Analyst, and we had speculated on Talking Terps last week that he'd likely be playing a big role in the special teams no matter who was named coordinator.

He'd bring 40 years of coaching experience to the position, including 11 as a special teams coach (8 in the NFL, 2 in college, 1 in the AAF). Locksley served as his running backs coach and recruiting coordinator from 2003-2004 at Florida, and as his offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach, and tight ends coach at Illinois from 2005-2008.

@BSLZackKiesel

#37 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:06 PM

Matt Zenitz reporting that Alabama cornerbacks coach Karl Scott is expected to be a top target for Maryland’s defensive coordinator position. This would be a huge addition to the coaching staff particularly for recruiting, as Scott is currently ranked as the #2 recruiter in the country.
@BSLZackKiesel

#38 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

Matt Zenitz reporting that Alabama cornerbacks coach Karl Scott is expected to be a top target for Maryland’s defensive coordinator position. This would be a huge addition to the coaching staff particularly for recruiting, as Scott is currently ranked as the #2 recruiter in the country.

Locks is going to piss off the king.  I like it.

@mikeghg

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:42 PM

88f628f235a5fa6961063ba6c2fa2df1.jpg

• Mackus likes this

#40 ShoNuff07

ShoNuff07
  • Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:42 AM

Just like with his recruits, The King usually reload his coaching staff.  With currently three former NFL Head Coaches  on staff, that alone can help in recruiting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=