• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#21 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

I know this doesn't affect the Orioles too much, unless they play the Marlins or Astros in the World Series, but I thought this was worth mentioning. At least he won't be traded to a team in the AL.

http://www.mlbtrader...carlos-lee.html
@mrbeanage

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

I know this doesn't affect the Orioles too much, unless they play the Marlins or Astros in the World Series, but I thought this was worth mentioning. At least he won't be traded to a team in the AL.

http://www.mlbtrader...carlos-lee.html

Interesting he turned down the Dodgers but took the Marlins.
@mikeghg

#23 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Interesting he turned down the Dodgers but took the Marlins.

That is interesting. He had a limited trade clause, but still needed his permission to go to the fish. I would've taken the Dodgers. Might be easier to win in the NL West than the NL East.
@mrbeanage

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Yahoo: Loria conned Miami
http://sports.yahoo....w-stadium-.html

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

I made the comment that the Marlins and Loria are bad for baseball. They absolutely conned the city of Miami and also drove the price of free agents up with their wild spending spree. Now they are in firesale 3. Baseball has a serious problem in Miami.
@mikeghg

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

Showtime's Hard Knocks-esque series The Show is focusing on the Marlins this year. It'll be interesting to see the episodes dealing with the firesale. Loria hasn't come off as a guy only worried about making money in the show, but he does know that the cameras are around constantly.

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Showtime's Hard Knocks-esque series The Show is focusing on the Marlins this year. It'll be interesting to see the episodes dealing with the firesale. Loria hasn't come off as a guy only worried about making money in the show, but he does know that the cameras are around constantly.

It's called The Franchise: A Season with the Miami Marlins. The first installment was pretty damn good, even showing Samson sitting with Ozzie and suspending him for the Castro comments.

I agree, it's going to be very fascinating come firesale time. This show is pretty awesome.

Both Loria and Samson are quite strange though.

#28 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

I don't know what the hell they're thinking in Miami, but I would like to say that I'm happy they changed their team name to what it should have been all along.

Plus, I'm glad they changed their uniforms too. Of all the uniforms nobody will remember, the uniforms of the Florida Marlins is one of them...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

I don't know what the hell they're thinking in Miami, but I would like to say that I'm happy they changed their team name to what it should have been all along.

Plus, I'm glad they changed their uniforms too. Of all the uniforms nobody will remember, the uniforms of the Florida Marlins is one of them...

Posted Image

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

ESPN: Ozzie Guillen brushes off comments

http://espn.go.com/m...ever-heath-bell

"It was my turn this week," Guillen said before Miami's game in Atlanta. "Last week, it was the pitching coach. The week before, it was his teammates. Every week it's something. That's why I don't respect him as a person. You have to have principles."

@levineps

#31 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

ESPN: Ozzie Guillen brushes off comments

http://espn.go.com/m...ever-heath-bell

Well, given that Ozzie's premise might be correct (that Heath Bell is a self-centered tool with no principles), it also seems that Ozzie's principles include dissing his players in public. What he should have done is say whatever he needs to say in the clubhouse, while publicly saying that he's gonna get involved in airing dirty linen in public. Just another example of him being Mr. Uproar...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well, given that Ozzie's premise might be correct (that Heath Bell is a self-centered tool with no principles), it also seems that Ozzie's principles include dissing his players in public. What he should have done is say whatever he needs to say in the clubhouse, while publicly saying that he's gonna get involved in airing dirty linen in public. Just another example of him being Mr. Uproar...

It comes with the territory with Ozzie, and the Marlins well knew that when they inked him to be their next manager last year.
@levineps

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

ESPN: Adam Greenberg to get 2nd chance

http://espn.go.com/m...erg-another-bat

Seven years, two months and 24 days after Greenberg's major league career began and seemed over on just one pitch, the now-31-year-old outfielder is to get another plate appearance on Tuesday, thanks to the Miami Marlins and a long-shot national campaign initiated by an imaginative fan on a lark.

"More than anything," Greenberg said, "the Marlins deserve the attention for this. They didn't do it for publicity.

"They said they didn't follow my story and that after Matt brought it to their attention, they sent their scouts to see me," Greenberg added. "I was at their spring training facility (in Jupiter, Fla., where Team Israel also trained) for almost two weeks. They said they believe in hard work, perseverance and that anything is possible. I believe that genuinely."

I find this hard to believe that they didn't this at all for publicity, nonetheless I'm happy he's getting this opportunity.
@levineps

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

ESPN: Marlins fire manager Ozzie Guillen

http://espn.go.com/m...r-miami-marlins

Well to the surprise of no one...
@levineps

#35 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Maybe they'll hire Bobby V to sorta stabilize things... put the focus back on the team instead of the manager...

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

I think I speak for the universe when I say, quote, "BAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...*gasps for breath*...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

#37 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

I could have sworn he had already been fired months ago... :?:
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#38 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

I could have sworn he had already been fired months ago... :?:

He was fired back in June, but they wanted to get through the season. There was no coming back from the Castro thing, the ONLY person in the Org. that wanted him was Loria and he didn't like that Castro mess one bit, nor did he like that Joey Cora did 60% of Ozzie's job.
@JeremyMStrain

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

Well Bobby V seems to be a good fit there.

Ozzie like Bobby V just does not know when to shut up.

ESPN awaits them.
@mikeghg

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Well Bobby V seems to be a good fit there.

Ozzie like Bobby V just does not know when to shut up.

ESPN awaits them.

I'm sure Valentine has a spot waiting. They seemed to love him in Bristol during his tenure.

Guillen I'm hoping will replace Kruk on BBTN. They're both unintelligible, but at least Ozzie has a good excuse. Might make the show watchable again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=