#41 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

I am not sure we developed a coach who is 65, but hell thanks for the draft picks.

@mikeghg

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:12 PM

Seems odd to me that the Ravens WR and passing game coordinator would be getting attention for head coaching jobs. But congrats, definitely is a good thing for other teams to want your people.

I wasn't aware of the rule change giving the team that the coordinator/assistant was hired away from gets a compensation pick. Good news for the Ravens.

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:15 PM

Seems odd to me that the Ravens WR and passing game coordinator would be getting attention for head coaching jobs. But congrats, definitely is a good thing for other teams to want your people.

I wasn't aware of the rule change giving the team that the coordinator/assistant was hired away from gets a compensation pick. Good news for the Ravens.

He also had the title of Asst. Head Coach.

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:16 PM

I wish Culley well, but i would like to see the Ravens bring in someone to rework the passing game and give him the power to do so.  Brian schotternheimer, maybe?

@mikeghg

#45 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:21 PM

Far be it to look a gift horse in the mouth with the picks, but for as long as Culley has been around the league it seems a bit generous to say the Ravens groomed him for the promotion just the past two seasons. If anyone, Andy Reid ought to get most of the credit for mentoring Cully. And I don't quite understand how this new comp pick rule is supposed to help open up more opportunities for minority candidates in the first place.

But those extra 3rd Rd picks the next two years sure will be nice.

#46 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:10 AM

Did anyone at the league think this through?  

Smart teams might not hire a minority candidate based on this comp pick rule.  Do you think the Ravens would give another team two 3rd round picks to hire a coach or GM; especially for an AFC rival?  

@fuzydunlop

#47 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:25 AM

Not sure if you typoed but it's two 3rd round comps, 2021 & 2022.

McNulty- I thought the same thing. Not that Harbaugh's on the hot seat but if I like two candidates and one is a Black assistant for the Steelers or Chiefs or Bills etc, I'm probably not choosing him. The positive of course is that the reverse goes for the assistant coaches you hire. I'm not a fan of the rule personally, just pick the best person regardless of his color. But I guess the league feels more has to be done and I'm open minded.

#48 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:32 AM

Yeah Im surprised the team hiring the minority GM or coach isnt getting a comp pick too.

#49 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:23 AM

I thought part of the rule was the coach needed to be with the team 2 yrs before getting the picks. Guess not.

Will these picks be before or after the comps .?

#50 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:31 AM

I wish Culley well, but i would like to see the Ravens bring in someone to rework the passing game and give him the power to do so.  Brian schotternheimer, maybe?

Yes, please someone who can have some influence over Roman to open up the passing game.

#51 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:48 AM

Smart teams might not hire a minority candidate based on this comp pick rule.  Do you think the Ravens would give another team two 3rd round picks to hire a coach or GM; especially for an AFC rival?  

Getting the coach you want is way more important than a rival getting two draft picks that are in the 100-110 range, one of which is next year, IMO. That's equivalent to like one 90th pick today. It may be a different story if you also had to give up a pick but that'd be crazy. 

Another way to think about it--if you think the candidate is that good (and you must if you are hiring them to HC/GM) then you are weakening your rival at the same time by poaching such a good person from their org. A team losing Marvin Lewis or Mike Tomlin or a young Ozzie Newsome might hurt more than getting Tyre Phillips or Miles Boykin (though I acknowledge it might be a Mark Andrews instead). I don't know.

• sandiegosean likes this

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:55 AM

Additions

ExRaven Anthony Weaver - DLine coach

Rob Ryan - Linebackers coach

D’Anton Lynn - Defensive Backs Coach  (Anthony Lynn’s son)

Losses

MacDonald - DC Michigan 

Cullen - DC Jaguars

Minter- DC Vanderbilt 

Sterling Lucas - DL Line Coach Jaguars

When you are a good team and a real good organization you are going to lose people.

I do not know anything about Lynn but it looks like we are doing well with the replacements,

Plus the added draft picks.

@mikeghg

#53 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:00 AM

I agree the results haven't been there for Culley. But reading a bunch in the past day, Aaron Wilson's twitter for one, the league thinks incredibly highly of him. Kubiak gave him great praise and I'm sure his opinion still has some influence in Houston. He was T.O's favorite coach. Also apparently Culley and Watson built a connection at the pro bowl last year so maybe there's a hope that helps things.

#54 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:35 PM

Obviously the most important metric for a head coach is wins/championships, but that is not at all the only metric. The HC is like the company's chief operating officer for the entire field side of the organization. I'm hearing that "interpersonal skills" are one of Culley's strengths. In Texas he can hire a passing game coordinator who is better than he was at that. For a head coach establishing a team first attitude, morals and standards of behavior, communications, integrity, player relations, those sort of intangibles are maybe even more important than wins to the continued smooth operations of the team.

Coming out of the Harbaugh coaching tree is probably one of Culley's attractions, just like Harbaugh and others coming from the Andy Reid coaching tree. I think it is fair to say the Ravens are among the very top teams in sports for being a classy, smooth running club (covid notwithstanding), and Harbaugh is a big reason for that. That's why when I hear people wanting him fired for bonehead in-game moves or for being too loyal to unproductive coordinators, I know it is unlikely to happen because the guy is just among the most respected coaches in the league among players, other coaches and execs. He keeps it together through thick and thin. Hiring Harbaugh was one of the best things Bisciotti ever did. One of the reasons Bisciotti is so successful is his wisdom in hiring people.

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:48 PM

Obviously the most important metric for a head coach is wins/championships, but that is not at all the only metric. The HC is like the company's chief operating officer for the entire field side of the organization. I'm hearing that "interpersonal skills" are one of Culley's strengths. In Texas he can hire a passing game coordinator who is better than he was at that. For a head coach establishing a team first attitude, morals and standards of behavior, communications, integrity, player relations, those sort of intangibles are maybe even more important than wins to the continued smooth operations of the team.

Coming out of the Harbaugh coaching tree is probably one of Culley's attractions, just like Harbaugh and others coming from the Andy Reid coaching tree. I think it is fair to say the Ravens are among the very top teams in sports for being a classy, smooth running club (covid notwithstanding), and Harbaugh is a big reason for that. That's why when I hear people wanting him fired for bonehead in-game moves or for being too loyal to unproductive coordinators, I know it is unlikely to happen because the guy is just among the most respected coaches in the league among players, other coaches and execs. He keeps it together through thick and thin. Hiring Harbaugh was one of the best things Bisciotti ever did. One of the reasons Bisciotti is so successful is his wisdom in hiring people.

I think the whole “coaching tree” concept is outdated the way coaches move around these days. The tree is just one big amoeba now.  Culley spent about 16 seasons working under Andy Reid, in both Philly and KC. He spent 2 under Harbaugh with the Ravens. How that makes the Ravens worthy of two 3rd Rd picks doesn’t make sense to me, but certainly won’t complain either if that’s what the league wants to do.

#56 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:51 PM

I think the whole “coaching tree” concept is outdated the way coaches move around these days. The tree is just one big amoeba now.  Culley spent about 16 seasons working under Andy Reid, in both Philly and KC. He spent 2 under Harbaugh with the Ravens. How that makes the Ravens worthy of two 3rd Rd picks doesn’t make sense to me, but certainly won’t complain either if that’s what the league wants to do.

I truly don't get that. I understand it is supposed to encourage hiring minorities in top positions, but how does giving the team losing the coach draft picks accomplish anything? Weird

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:08 PM

I thought the same thing.  I think they are trying to do the right thing, but they are going about it wrong.

That said, we get 2 3rd picks.  

@mikeghg

#58 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

I like the rule, I think it does one important thing, it just gets more minorities more coaching opportunities. Teams and FOs now have a huge incentive to replace incoming staff with POCs. And not just at one spot. A HC that's filling out his staff is thinking about bringing in POCs to help the team. Same in the FO. You're helping many more candidates up the ladder this way and it's more than HC's. 

Ultimately, the problem is not enough POCs at the lower levels and not getting their foot in the door, I think. This creates strong incentives for teams to hire at that level. Need more candidates in the pool before they can evaluate if there is bias in the hiring, IMO. 

The Rooney Rule was broken because they were interviewing guys that didn't have the experience and getting credit. This changes the way you might think about buildling out your team. If I'm the ravens, I'm replacing every spot on that staff with a POC as possible. In the long-run that's going to help way more than having 2 or 3 guys become head coaches. 

• makoman likes this

#59 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:53 PM

I truly don't get that. I understand it is supposed to encourage hiring minorities in top positions, but how does giving the team losing the coach draft picks accomplish anything? Weird

It's a fact that the NFL wants more minority head coaches, but the Rooney Rule wasn't really doing anything anymore because teams would just check the box. Other than retreads, the best way to become a head coach is to be a coordinator, and the best way to become a coordinator is to be a position coach. So they want to incentivize teams to hire more minorities at lower levels and be proactive in helping them develop their careers so they will move into those higher positions, where if there are more minorities there will eventually be more minority head coaches. It would be too unseemly for many people for the hiring team itself to directly benefit from a minority hire, people would claim so and so was only hired for the picks, so this is more of a general incentive to the system as a whole to get more minorities involved. 

• JordanKough likes this

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

It's intended to give teams incentives to hire black coordinators and assistants.  Whether it will or not is debatable and whether that ultimately leads to more black coaches is open to further debate.

I think it's good that the NFL is trying something.  Certainly understand the critiques of their exact plan though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=