#61 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:19 PM

Maybe in general. But the Titans did implore a fairly sizable come back to win the first matchup this season. Definitely worried about the defense in this game.

(Shameless plug alert)

Mike and I will talk about this on tonight's episode of The Bank :)

But there are some things that happened in the November matchup that hopefully should not repeat themselves. One thing that will definitely be different is having Brandon Williams and Calais Campbell in the lineup.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#62 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:42 PM

To me this game is all about not having to pack the box to stop Henry. Try and stay out of the single high looks that leave CBs on islands on the outside when you're over committing to the run. 

For me on defense, play on the edges, funnel everythign back to the middle. Don't let Henry get to the outside like that either. Flow him to the middle of hte field, when he gets to the sideliens that's where a lot of his big runs come from. 

Use safety coverage, at least behind Peters to help him because they are going to attack with double moves. I'm even OK if we go into the box, flipping the safety into one side of a Cover 2 over a CB and letting that CB be aggressive. 

Make Tenn earn everything they do, whether it's running or passing. Keep it in front of you, make them work. They might get theirs occassionally but nothing easy. If they do that, I think we could really contain them. 

Good post.  I think we will battle Henry all day, and this time with the 2 big guys on the line, Williams and Campbell.  I do think it comes down to the offense.  I think Lamar plays great on Sunday, and the Ravens put up 30 points or more.

@mikeghg

#63 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 06 January 2021 - 01:50 PM

Good post.  I think we will battle Henry all day, and this time with the 2 big guys on the line, Williams and Campbell.  I do think it comes down to the offense.  I think Lamar plays great on Sunday, and the Ravens put up 30 points or more.

Don't forget Wolfe! I think the three will play a key role in planting Henry ... Hopefully Queen is up to the task this time around as well.

Roll Tide

#64 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:01 PM

Well that's the thing to remember about the 30 they put up on us the last game, it was just 24 in regulation, and really with the defense folding like a chair in the 4th quarter. 

We held them to 13 in the first 3 quarters, and then gave up 11 in the 4th. 

To wit, if we sustain the drive in the 4th where we had 3rd and 1 and then get the false start, we probably win the last game anyway. So if the offense is locked in on all clyinders, that's alos going to help the defense, too. That was the long way of saying, if we score 30, I think there will be significantly more limited opportunities for Henry and the Titans. 

#65 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:31 PM

From the Ravens site.....Ngakoue, Mekari, and Smith all returned to practice 

Ngakoue was joined by center Patrick Mekari (back) and cornerback Jimmy Smith (rib/shoulder).

• DuffMan likes this
Roll Tide

#66 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 January 2021 - 09:06 PM

Well that's the thing to remember about the 30 they put up on us the last game, it was just 24 in regulation, and really with the defense folding like a chair in the 4th quarter.

We held them to 13 in the first 3 quarters, and then gave up 11 in the 4th.

To wit, if we sustain the drive in the 4th where we had 3rd and 1 and then get the false start, we probably win the last game anyway. So if the offense is locked in on all clyinders, that's alos going to help the defense, too. That was the long way of saying, if we score 30, I think there will be significantly more limited opportunities for Henry and the Titans.

89 of Henry's 133 came in the 4th qtr and OT. We did well in the red zone up to the point and generated a rare Titan's turnover.

The offense can help the defense out by chewing up some clock, converting third downs and finishing drives.
  • JordanKough likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#67 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:29 AM

To me this game is all about not having to pack the box to stop Henry. Try and stay out of the single high looks that leave CBs on islands on the outside when you're over committing to the run. 

For me on defense, play on the edges, funnel everythign back to the middle. Don't let Henry get to the outside like that either. Flow him to the middle of hte field, when he gets to the sideliens that's where a lot of his big runs come from. 

Use safety coverage, at least behind Peters to help him because they are going to attack with double moves. I'm even OK if we go into the box, flipping the safety into one side of a Cover 2 over a CB and letting that CB be aggressive. 

Make Tenn earn everything they do, whether it's running or passing. Keep it in front of you, make them work. They might get theirs occassionally but nothing easy. If they do that, I think we could really contain them. 

I actually don't mind mixing in single high looks in this game even though what you're saying makes sense.

I would like to have Clark moving around a lot to give them different looks. The other reason is that the Titans play a lot of 12 & 22, fullbacks & TEs, and have a lot of plays where only Davis and Brown are running routes. It's not a major disagreement or anything, just something I noticed about the Titans go-to looks and plays.

Also this is a big game for the ILBs. Their play was very uneven, great & ugly in the first meeting. Having BWill and Calais will help. But the LBs bad eyes causing missteps were killers too and in some instances had nothing to do with the DL.

ILBs also played a ton of snaps to match the Titans personnel... Queen-84%, Harrison-50%, Board-29%, Fort-29%. It was Fort's first game back from injury so maybe he plays more this time.

• PrimeTime and sandiegosean like this

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:31 AM

Joined by my colleagues Mike Randall, and Jamie Sieck, on this episode of The Bank:

– We recapped last year’s playoff loss to the Titans 
– We recapped this year’s loss to the Titans

– Previewing Sunday, we looked at the Ravens offense vs. Titans defense 
– Previewing Sunday, we looked at the Ravens defense vs. Titans offense

– We finished with our keys to the game, and our picks.

https://anchor.fm/th...e-Titans-eol8l9

• DuffMan and PrimeTime like this

#69 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:03 PM

I actually don't mind mixing in single high looks in this game even though what you're saying makes sense.

I would like to have Clark moving around a lot to give them different looks. The other reason is that the Titans play a lot of 12 & 22, fullbacks & TEs, and have a lot of plays where only Davis and Brown are running routes. It's not a major disagreement or anything, just something I noticed about the Titans go-to looks and plays.

Also this is a big game for the ILBs. Their play was very uneven, great & ugly in the first meeting. Having BWill and Calais will help. But the LBs bad eyes causing missteps were killers too and in some instances had nothing to do with the DL.

ILBs also played a ton of snaps to match the Titans personnel... Queen-84%, Harrison-50%, Board-29%, Fort-29%. It was Fort's first game back from injury so maybe he plays more this time.

We got killed in single high in the first game. Almost every time we were in it and it was obvious it was a double baiting Peters to the middle and then running a corner to the out. 

We either need to let Peters be Peters or tell him to release that inside and live with it. Again, the whole defense should be about flowing everything to the middle to me. That will stop the big plays. Every time they get to the outside, whether it's WR or it's RB that's where we can really get hurt. We saw the same thing last year in the playoffs, too...

The irony is that Tenn plays the opposite defense, where they want to flush everything to the outside and cram the middle. I think we're going to really gash them on outside runs this weekend. 

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:26 PM

The Tennessean: What Titans' struggling defense must do to stop Ravens in playoffs: 'Make them ... earn it'

https://www.tennesse...ard/6565596002/

#71 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:51 PM

The Tennessean: What Titans' struggling defense must do to stop Ravens in playoffs: 'Make them ... earn it'

https://www.tennesse...ard/6565596002/

That's what I said about the Ravens defense and what they need to do against Tennesse! Go figure :P 

On both sides it's true, though. These are sustaining offenses that have big play upside, and you have to contain the big plays and you have to not let TDs happen in the red zone. Then again, I feel like you could say that about just about insert NFL team here. 

• PrimeTime likes this

#72 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:55 PM

That's what I said about the Ravens defense and what they need to do against Tennesse! Go figure :P

On both sides it's true, though. These are sustaining offenses that have big play upside, and you have to contain the big plays and you have to not let TDs happen in the red zone. Then again, I feel like you could say that about just about insert NFL team here. 

I think we get so caught up in analyzing and dissecting the little things that we lose sight of the big picture. For all of the complexities of the game, it comes down to a couple of simple things.....take care of the football, finish drives and tackle well. It seems generic and perhaps oversimplified but if you do those things, you're going to win a lot more than you lose. 

• Mike B likes this
@primetime667083

#73 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

Don't forget Wolfe! I think the three will play a key role in planting Henry ... Hopefully Queen is up to the task this time around as well.

Correct, but Wolfe did play the last game and played well.  I think the Ravens did a very good job for about 3 quarters in the first game.  They wore down.  No Campbell, or Williams, then Washington went out.  They ran out of bodies.

• PrimeTime likes this
@mikeghg

#74 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:01 PM

Joined by my colleagues Mike Randall, and Jamie Sieck, on this episode of The Bank:

– We recapped last year’s playoff loss to the Titans 
– We recapped this year’s loss to the Titans

– Previewing Sunday, we looked at the Ravens offense vs. Titans defense 
– Previewing Sunday, we looked at the Ravens defense vs. Titans offense

– We finished with our keys to the game, and our picks.

https://anchor.fm/th...e-Titans-eol8l9

Just listened to this, good stuff!

• Mike in STL and PrimeTime like this

#75 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:15 PM

Something that I hope Roman keeps in mind should we get behind....watching some old games, Lamar's 1st start vs the 5-4 Bengals, we got down 21-13 in the 3rd qtr. After Cincy took the lead, the ensuing drive went pass (sack), pass for a 1st down, pass (incomplete), then 6 runs on the next 7 plays, culminating in an Edwards TD. 

So not only did we come from behind but we also didn't need to chuck it all over the yard to do it.

• Mike in STL likes this
@primetime667083

#76 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

Correct, but Wolfe did play the last game and played well.  I think the Ravens did a very good job for about 3 quarters in the first game.  They wore down.  No Campbell, or Williams, then Washington went out.  They ran out of bodies.

I think Wolfe played more snaps in that game than any other this year. They just flat ran out of gas. 

• Mike B likes this
@primetime667083

#77 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:57 PM

I believe Wolfe got hurt in the 4th and didn't play OT, too. 

#78 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:57 PM

Something that I hope Roman keeps in mind should we get behind....watching some old games, Lamar's 1st start vs the 5-4 Bengals, we got down 21-13 in the 3rd qtr. After Cincy took the lead, the ensuing drive went pass (sack), pass for a 1st down, pass (incomplete), then 6 runs on the next 7 plays, culminating in an Edwards TD. 

So not only did we come from behind but we also didn't need to chuck it all over the yard to do it.

I think we had a drive in this past Cinci game that was 8 runs and eclipsed 2:40 in total time. So yeah...don't need to chuck it to score and/or to score quickly. 

• PrimeTime likes this

#79 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 02:59 PM

I think Wolfe played more snaps in that game than any other this year. They just flat ran out of gas. 

Wolfe played 56 that week, then the next few weeks played 58 (Pit), 64 (Dal), and 56 (Cle)!

Justin Ellis played 58 against the Titans. Justin Ellis!

No wonder they allowed 89 yards to Henry in the 4th/OT. There are no guarantees, but at least they will be in much better shape on the DL this week.

• PrimeTime likes this

#80 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 January 2021 - 03:07 PM

Wolfe played 56 that week, then the next few weeks played 58 (Pit), 64 (Dal), and 56 (Cle)!

Justin Ellis played 58 against the Titans. Justin Ellis!

No wonder they allowed 89 yards to Henry in the 4th/OT. There are no guarantees, but at least they will be in much better shape on the DL this week.

Good catch. I didn't look at the snap counts after the Tennessee game, I thought number seemed high for him.

The high amount of snaps for the next few weeks after Tennessee makes perfect sense in context; there were some injury issues and then Wolfe dodged the COVID outbreak, so he was one of the few starters left standing for Pittsburgh.

• makoman likes this
@primetime667083

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=