1111 replies to this topic

#41 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:04 PM

So based on how the season went, you can gamble against the bad teams.they did it last year and then tried against a good team and failed. How did the questionable decision making work this year versus the teams that they lost to?

Were the Seahawks and Patriots and 49ers bad teams? How about the Chiefs (We were 3-4 on 4th down)?
  • Mackus, PrimeTime and BSLRoseKatz like this

#42 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:12 PM

So based on how the season went, you can gamble against the bad teams.they did it last year and then tried against a good team and failed. How did the questionable decision making work this year versus the teams that they lost to?

You're questioning the decision based on the results and to me that's flawed logic.

As far as going for it against only bad teams; we were 1 for 2 vs KC, 1 for 1 vs Seattle, 1 for 1 vs NE, 1 for 1 vs LAR, 1 for 2 vs SF....all pretty good teams last year.

We can agree to disagree but I like being aggressive and fully support the Tecmo Bowl mentality.

With regards to this year and their losses, there were many issues besides going for it on 4th down. Turnovers, inconsistent offensive line play due to injuries and shuffling guys and in out to find the right combo, etc.
  • Mackus likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:33 PM

Music City Miracles: 4 key Titans players that could miss the playoff game vs. Ravens
https://www.musiccit...-game-vs-ravens

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:40 PM

Baltimore Sun: The Ravens aren’t interested in revisiting their playoff loss to Tennessee: ‘It doesn’t matter’

#45 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:42 PM

This year, we attempted to go for it once vs KC and Zeus jumped, we kicked a field goal as a result. We also went for it on 4th and 26 in the waning minutes of the 4th qtr in that game. We were 1 for 1 vs Pittsburgh at home; we had to go for it on the final drive. The Tennessee game and the 2nd Pittsburgh game had no 4th down attempts.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#46 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:49 PM

I'm no fan of coaching by a sheet of paper or a computer generated percentage table.  I think the best coaches coach by the feel of a game and the feel of their team that day, whether it agrees with the "analytics" or not.  

The reason I didn't like the first 4th down call last year was at the time of the game it was only 7-0 Tenn, the Ravens offense felt like it was playing uptight, and the ball was on the Ravens side of the field.  I really don't care what the analytics say there or how many times you have been successful.  The risk at that time of the game just seemed to outweigh the reward.  Once Tennessee made that stop and converted a quick score to go up 14-0, it put the Ravens in a hole they hadn't been in too often.  

It's all speculation, but I am convinced that game plays out much differently if they punt there and pin Tennessee back.  Not to say Tennessee still wouldn't have won, but I think the Ravens would have had a much better chance of keeping that game close until their offense could get going.  

• russsnyder likes this

#47 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:35 PM

Music City Miracles: 4 key Titans players that could miss the playoff game vs. Ravens
https://www.musiccit...-game-vs-ravens

I think whoever wrote this article might be stretching a little about 'key' guys. Saffold for sure. But Gostkowski is rolling the dice in any week. And the other two guys...Roberson and Tart? 

I wanted to see some more names of Saffold's quality :)

#48 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 05 January 2021 - 05:33 AM

Saffold & Robertson are already out ....Gostkowski and Tart are new additions to the Covid list and may not be eligible to play

So the injury report favors the Ravens this time around.

Roll Tide

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2021 - 01:46 PM

Saffold & Robertson are already out ....Gostkowski and Tart are new additions to the Covid list and may not be eligible to play

So the injury report favors the Ravens this time around.

They had the advantage last time, so it is time to pay them back.

@mikeghg

#50 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2021 - 01:58 PM

The Titans O-Line is going to be incredibly thin. 

#51 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 02:06 PM

I'd personally prefer the Ravens play in more of a Cover 2/Quarters type look. Funnel everything to the middle of the field and don't let Henry beat you to the edge. That's where he's the most dangerous. 

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2021 - 05:47 PM

The Titans O-Line is going to be incredibly thin. 

This really is a reverse of the regular season game where our dline was thin.  I also think that was the game where washington left early with the concussion.  I remember Wolfe playing his ass off, but he was toast by games end.  I expect thye Ravens to go with a heavy group active.  

It is only Tuesday and I am already waiting for the game.

@mikeghg

#53 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:00 PM

Derrick Henry is a big difference maker and frankly even when our team is healthy, I don't think we can account for him very well because our LB corps are rather weak. I do think Queen has improved as a player significantly, and he's MIA much less frequently, and getting blown up by ballcarriers less frequently.  That said, he still misses too many tackles, and while he's getting picked on less in pass coverage he is still nowhere close to where he needs to be.

But Tennessee's defense is worse than it was last year, and we played them pretty tough with a lot of players out this year.  All in all I think the Ravens are a better team, but it will probably be a pretty close game.  I'm almost certain that Roman won't get cute with the playcalling and stick to what works, especially against a defense with as many holes as Tennessee.

#54 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:16 PM

We are the better team. Were last year and are this year. Its just about execution. We execute we'll win comfortably.
  • Mike B likes this

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2021 - 08:30 PM

It is interesting.

You can see the energy ramping up in our post.  it is still 5 days to game day.  I guess I am not the only one fired up for this game.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#56 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:01 PM

Can we get Billick in the locker room, to give them his SOB speech?
  • BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and PrimeTime like this

#57 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:02 PM

Derrick Henry is a big difference maker and frankly even when our team is healthy, I don't think we can account for him very well because our LB corps are rather weak. I do think Queen has improved as a player significantly, and he's MIA much less frequently, and getting blown up by ballcarriers less frequently.  That said, he still misses too many tackles, and while he's getting picked on less in pass coverage he is still nowhere close to where he needs to be.

But Tennessee's defense is worse than it was last year, and we played them pretty tough with a lot of players out this year.  All in all I think the Ravens are a better team, but it will probably be a pretty close game.  I'm almost certain that Roman won't get cute with the playcalling and stick to what works, especially against a defense with as many holes as Tennessee.

The great equalizer for Henry is the same for Mahomes- keep their asses on the bench.  Not that I think the Ravens are going to run the ball 54 times again this week but if they can control the clock, limit the mistakes and pound Tennessee the way they've been doing to everyone over the past month, we will leave town with a victory.  

• PrimeTime likes this

#58 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 09:24 AM

Henry is the first person you think about with Tenessee, but Tannehill hitting big plays off of PA worries me more in terms of the game potentially getting away from them.

I don't know how much AJ Brown plays out of the slot, but if it's as frequent as many of the top receivers in the league, I wonder if they'd have Humphrey more or less shadow him since a healthy Jimmy Smith can play outside very reliably. I know Humphrey's shadowed #1 types in the past with success.

• sandiegosean likes this

#59 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 09:32 AM

This game isn't getting away from us unless we turn the ball over multiple times again.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#60 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:10 AM

To me this game is all about not having to pack the box to stop Henry. Try and stay out of the single high looks that leave CBs on islands on the outside when you're over committing to the run. 

For me on defense, play on the edges, funnel everythign back to the middle. Don't let Henry get to the outside like that either. Flow him to the middle of hte field, when he gets to the sideliens that's where a lot of his big runs come from. 

Use safety coverage, at least behind Peters to help him because they are going to attack with double moves. I'm even OK if we go into the box, flipping the safety into one side of a Cover 2 over a CB and letting that CB be aggressive. 

Make Tenn earn everything they do, whether it's running or passing. Keep it in front of you, make them work. They might get theirs occassionally but nothing easy. If they do that, I think we could really contain them. 

• Mike B likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=