• Please log in to reply
1111 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 07:49 PM

The Ravens of course were knocked out of the playoffs last year by the Titans. 

Tennessee also beat the Ravens this year in Baltimore, in another game with emotions running hot. 

The Ravens get the opportunity at revenge this coming weekend in Nashville.

• JStruds likes this

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 07:52 PM

Of course they would get Tennessee.

I'll say this - this would be an excellent opportunity to exorcize the demons from previous games. Unfortunately the Titans have owned us and they know it. Mental edge definitely goes to them, and Derrick Henry can't be stopped.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic about this one. Vrabel has outcoached Harbaugh in both of their meetings and the Titans seem to feel they can't lose. Anything can happen and the Ravens have been playing better as of late, but I'll predict the Titans by a score.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 07:57 PM

I wanted the Titans, glad it worked out that way.  Can't wait. 

• DuffMan likes this

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 07:58 PM

I wanted the Titans, glad it worked out that way. Can't wait.

Just because you want payback, or you think we match up well with them?

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:04 PM

Just because you want payback, or you think we match up well with them?

It's the playoffs. You are going to face someone capable, you shouldn't be thinking of hiding. 
You have to go and beat good teams.  I want the payback of course. 

Sure, the Titans are good. They know who they are.  Their going to pound Henry, and set-up the play action. 

Their defense isn't particularly good (29th DVOA entering today) or are their Special Teams (28th DVOA entering today). 

Ravens are relatively healthy.  

They are playing well. 

Pressure will be on the Titans.  They are division champs, they are home, they've beat the Ravens twice in a row. 
They'll be favored. 

Ravens will be loose. 

Campbell and Williams will help vs. what we saw in Week 11. 

Ravens are going to win.*

*I do think the Titans have more talent vs. what people have suggested previously.  Brown, Clowney, Davis, Lewan, Jackson, Hooker, Fulton, Evans, Butler, King.

• sandiegosean likes this

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:34 PM

https://twitter.com/...3274506240?s=21

Usually this guy is on the money. Still hoping for Saturday night though.

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:47 PM

It's the playoffs. You are going to face someone capable, you shouldn't be thinking of hiding.
You have to go and beat good teams. I want the payback of course.

Sure, the Titans are good. They know who they are. Their going to pound Henry, and set-up the play action.

Their defense isn't particularly good (29th DVOA entering today) or are their Special Teams (28th DVOA entering today).

Ravens are relatively healthy.

They are playing well.

Pressure will be on the Titans. They are division champs, they are home, they've beat the Ravens twice in a row.
They'll be favored.

Ravens will be loose.

Campbell and Williams will help vs. what we saw in Week 11.

Ravens are going to win.*

*I do think the Titans have more talent vs. what people have suggested previously. Brown, Clowney, Davis, Lewan, Jackson, Hooker, Fulton, Evans, Butler, King.

I think you're incorrect about who the pressure is on. The Ravens have yet to prove they can win in the playoffs and have lost two consecutive heartbreakers to a team that believes they own them. The monkey is squarely on their back. If things start to go south it's going to feel a lot like a "here we go again" situation.

Even with a 4th quarter lead, the last game is in the backs of both of their minds.

#8 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:50 PM

https://twitter.com/...3274506240?s=21

Usually this guy is on the money. Still hoping for Saturday night though.

Wow.  I hope he is wrong.  Sunday night is the NFL's showcase.  Why would you showcase Chicago @ New Orleans?  Even with covid issues that sets up as a massacre.  I would think they would want Indy/Buff, Cleve/Pitt, or Balt/Tenn.  Even LA/Sea, or TB/NFC East is a better matchup.  

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:10 PM

1 PM per Jeff Z

#10 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:11 PM

I think you're incorrect about who the pressure is on. The Ravens have yet to prove they can win in the playoffs and have lost two consecutive heartbreakers to a team that believes they own them. The monkey is squarely on their back. If things start to go south it's going to feel a lot like a "here we go again" situation.

Even with a 4th quarter lead, the last game is in the backs of both of their minds.

I have to agree with you that there is more pressure on the Ravens after last year.  After going 14-2 and getting beaten at home as a double digit favorite in the first playoff game as the number one seed, it should be.  Once the game is going, I don't think it will make that much of a difference. 

There would be pressure no matter who they played.  They lost their only playoff game two years ago and basically said Jackson was a rookie.  Last year they were the favorite for the SB and got beaten as a double digit favorite in their first playoff game at home again.  Lose in the first playoff game again, and the talk about not being able to beat the better teams, and not winning a playoff game becomes a lot louder and a lot more valid. 

#11 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:12 PM

They just showed the playoff matchups on NBC.  Ravens play at 1 on Sunday.  The Sunday night game is Cleve @ Pitt.  

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:16 PM

There will be plenty of pressure on the Ravens.

It's a playoff game.  There is pressure on everyone. 

There will be more pressure on the Ravens if they get behind. 

But the Titans will go into Sunday as the favorite.  And if things don't go as planned for them early... they'll start to feel it. 

Agree with cprenegade though... it doesn't really matter. 

Both teams know what the other wants to do. ​Who executes?  

#13 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:31 PM

Ravens are going to need someone other than Lamar and Edwards/Dobbins to step up Sunday. Marquise Brown and Mark Andrews are the real culprits of the offensive let downs. Both of them always seem to get a case of the drops at the worst possible moments. Unfortunately they're also our two best receivers on the outside. Brown definitely needs to step up. Since his 'Soulja' comments, he has dropped as many big passes as he's caught.

I think the first offensive drive is going to be huge for the Ravens. Vrabel is going to come out with a mush-rush and some weird combo of man/zone to flood the middle of the field with defenders. Ravens coaches HAVE to know this. Be prepared for it. Attack them on the outside. If they put together a great opening drive for a TD, I think the Ravens have a great chance. If they come out and make mistakes and look horrible on that opening drive, that immediately puts pressure back on Lamar and co.
  • JordanKough likes this

#14 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:59 PM

I was hoping for the easier match up against the Colts, but I must admit a first round victory vs Tennessee would be much more satisfying. I don't expect the Ravens to lay an egg this time.

#15 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:10 PM

I think that Tennessee will struggle to stop the Ravens offense. Of course I said that last year as well, but that game was about as abnormal as they come. 

Henry can be scary if he gets going, but if you can stop him early that offense is not hard to slow down. For all the talk about the Ravens having to be ahead to win, I think it's even more true for the Titans.

@gabefergy

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:13 PM

I think that Tennessee will struggle to stop the Ravens offense. Of course I said that last year as well, but that game was about as abnormal as they come.

Henry can be scary if he gets going, but if you can stop him early that offense is not hard to slow down. For all the talk about the Ravens having to be ahead to win, I think it's even more true for the Titans.

Maybe in general. But the Titans did implore a fairly sizable come back to win the first matchup this season. Definitely worried about the defense in this game.

#17 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:43 PM

Maybe only because their defense is not likely to stop the other team enough to allow their offense to catch up.  Tennessee has an offense that can play multiple ways.  They can be a power offense with Henry and shorten the game.  They play west coast offense with Tannehill releasing the ball quickly.  They can be a big strike offense as they showed with 18 seconds left today.  But there is little doubt that Tennesse is the better and more versatile offense.  They actually are 4th in points scored, 1 point behind Tampa Bay.  I would trust Tennessee to be able to come from double digits down more than I would Baltimore.  But then, Tennessee's terrible defense might be the equalizer.  

#18 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:45 PM

Yeah, I feel like I recall the Ravens having a lead and shutting Henry down for most of that game. His YPC was pretty low. But Vrabel and company didn't get away from him, kept feeding him the ball, and their running game (and Henry) took over late and in to OT. That's what you do with your best weapon, keep doing what they do best and hope that it breaks through. Tannehill picks up some critical first downs with his legs, not because of his legs, but because teams sell out to focus on Henry and get out of position.

#19 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:46 PM

There will be plenty of pressure on the Ravens.

It's a playoff game.  There is pressure on everyone. 

There will be more pressure on the Ravens if they get behind. 

But the Titans will go into Sunday as the favorite.  And if things don't go as planned for them early... they'll start to feel it. 

Agree with cprenegade though... it doesn't really matter. 

Both teams know what the other wants to do. ​Who executes?  

I would be surprised if Tennessee is favored.  At best I figure this is a pick em, maybe with either team a -1 favorite.  

#20 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:04 PM

Maybe only because their defense is not likely to stop the other team enough to allow their offense to catch up.  Tennessee has an offense that can play multiple ways.  They can be a power offense with Henry and shorten the game.  They play west coast offense with Tannehill releasing the ball quickly.  They can be a big strike offense as they showed with 18 seconds left today.  But there is little doubt that Tennesse is the better and more versatile offense.  They actually are 4th in points scored, 1 point behind Tampa Bay.  I would trust Tennessee to be able to come from double digits down more than I would Baltimore.  But then, Tennessee's terrible defense might be the equalizer.  

Ravens have been tearing through any opposition since they have fully integrated JK Dobbins and started running with power/Counter Bash.

No defense has been able to slow them down. It's true that the Ravens have also not played many good defenses, but the Titans also do not have a good defense.

The Ravens at least have a defense that should be able to slow down the Titans. Last time these two teams played the Ravens were missing Campbell and Williams. They tired down in the second half because they didn't have depth, but that shouldn't be an issue in this one. 

On paper it should be relatively close, but there is a reason why the Ravens are favored despite being the lower seed and having to play in Tennessee. They have been the better team.

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=