#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:00 PM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...l-your-destiny/

Five thoughts from the Giants game. A more formidable opponent (at least on defense) that was handled with ease. Four straight wins feels good at the right time, some thoughts on what's got us there, and what still needs to be fixed.

• BSLChrisStoner and PrimeTime like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:40 PM

Nice point about the line. 

Thought the FOX telecast was right about Fluker outside.  

Mekari has been better too. Hopefully he's okay.

Re: Hill... that was a horrible error he made today, but I think he's had a quality year on STs. No issue if he isn't active next week though.  Was interesting when they had him and Dobbins on the field together. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#3 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:42 PM

My biggest concern following that game is health. A few guys got nicked up, hopefully nothing significant.

@gabefergy

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:49 PM

I don't get what was so egregious or dumb about the roughing the punter penalty. There was no impact, as the game was over. So as far as results, it was a complete non-factor. As far as process, if all roughing and running into the kicker penalties are dumb and egregious, then that's fine, this was a clear penalty. But it's a pretty fine line between blocked kick and roughed kicker. Quite literally since if the player tips the ball, then they can hit the kicker.

#5 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:22 PM

I think the issue or concern is more about committing that penalty PERIOD in that situation. It's not a necessary risk, given the score and the clock. Sure in the big picture of today's game it was inconsequential. But if he does that in a playoff game against a decent AFC opponent, it risks opening the door again when you've almost locked it shut. Say you get up 14 on January 9th or 10th, get three sacks in a row and force a punt... and then GIFT them back the ball, 2 or 3 minutes of game clock, and all their current timeouts... Well that's how you start to blow a double digit second half lead in a big game. Something the Ravens have shown some history of doing thru the years...
  • Mike in STL and bmore_ken like this

#6 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:33 PM

I don't get what was so egregious or dumb about the roughing the punter penalty. There was no impact, as the game was over. So as far as results, it was a complete non-factor. As far as process, if all roughing and running into the kicker penalties are dumb and egregious, then that's fine, this was a clear penalty. But it's a pretty fine line between blocked kick and roughed kicker. Quite literally since if the player tips the ball, then they can hit the kicker.

Yeah, but you can't commit those types of penalties even if the game is over because the next time maybe it isn't over and it costs you.  It didn't hurt and maybe you find out who can do that job and who can't, so in that respect it probably wasn't all bad. They found out Hill has no clue rushing the punter.  

As for the process, even going all the way back to the 70's running into the punter when his leg is extended has been a personal foul if you don't get at least a piece of the ball.  And the point of that is normally if you get a piece of the ball, you are out in front of the punter and not a threat to his plant leg.  ST have to know that and if not, don't have that guy rushing the punter.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:50 PM

I dont agree with the logic in that post.

Can't commit penalty now because we might later? Just don't commit it later. It's not like this is a recurring problem like we've seen with offensive formation. This was one play at a point in a game where there was literally zero downside to the penalty. It was as impactful as Ferguson's penalty on the Fort pick-6 a week ago.

I also don't think one penalty on a punt rush proves, or even really implies, anything regarding Hill's special teams chops. I think he's been really good on coverage units this year. This is the first time I've noticed him rushing a punt, and obviously was a bad result. But I think he's got a lot of leeway on ST and he's someone they want out there. I'd be pretty surprised if this play changes that.
  • JStruds likes this

#8 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 27 December 2020 - 11:16 PM

I think in general, a roughing the kicker penalty is a bad play. I'm not upset about it though because it had zero impact on the game.

I do think he was very close to getting a block, and in the larger scheme of things it's a blip on the radar. Hill has been good on ST. He's earned every right to be out there and he is working his ass off to be an impactful part of the team. Hopefully, he uses this is a lesson to make sure it doesn't happen again.

@gabefergy

#9 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 11:28 PM

It's not that just because you commit the penalty you will commit it later.  It's because if players aren't coached to not commit the penalty, they probably will do it again.  The game situation does not matter.  If the game was out of hand, why send the guy to block the punt in the first place?  Why not just peel back and play the return?  It didn't matter to the outcome, but if you don't coach the player to not do that, he will probably do that again.  It's no different than a QB throwing a bad int with a 30 point lead, or an RB fumbling in the same situation.  You coach to repeating good plays, and try to correct not so good ones, no matter what the game situation is.  It's not something to pick at, and it will probably be forgotten very quickly, but we can comment on it. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 11:55 PM

A few things.

1. Hill has been great as a gunner. Has made some nice open field tackles and routinely gets down in position quickly. Impressed by what hes done on ST. Also have never noticed him rush the punter before but he likely has and we never noticed it until now.

2. Its got to be tough when you feel like you have a legit chance to block a punt. Its a do or die thing when you get that close. If you get any of the ball you're golden. If you dont, and you make any contact you'll get flagged. You can see at the last split second he tried to pull up but it was too late. Too much momentum headed directly at the punter. I guess thats why so many guys try to angle themself to cut directly in front of the punter. That way their momentum isnt going towards the punter.
  • GabeFerguson and cprenegade like this

#11 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 12:00 AM

A few things.

1. Hill has been great as a gunner. Has made some nice open field tackles and routinely gets down in position quickly. Impressed by what hes done on ST. Also have never noticed him rush the punter before but he likely has and we never noticed it until now.

2. Its got to be tough when you feel like you have a legit chance to block a punt. Its a do or die thing when you get that close. If you get any of the ball you're golden. If you dont, and you make any contact you'll get flagged. You can see at the last split second he tried to pull up but it was too late too momentum headed directly at the punter. I guess thats why so many guys try to angle themself to cut directly in front of the punter. That way their momentum isnt going towards the punter.

That is the way you have to do it.  Come from the side and launch directly perpendicular to the punter.  If you come up the middle, or not far enough from the side, you better get the ball because you will run into the kicker.  Hill's problem was not only didn't he get any part of the ball, but he hit the kicker when his leg was still up.  That has drawn a flag ever since I have been watching football.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#12 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:04 AM

A few things.

2. Its got to be tough when you feel like you have a legit chance to block a punt. Its a do or die thing when you get that close. If you get any of the ball you're golden. If you dont, and you make any contact you'll get flagged. You can see at the last split second he tried to pull up but it was too late. Too much momentum headed directly at the punter. I guess thats why so many guys try to angle themself to cut directly in front of the punter. That way their momentum isnt going towards the punter.

Harbaugh said something about the roughing the kicker penalty after the game, he took the blame for it. Not sure what his rationale was for that though.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#13 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:11 PM

It's not that just because you commit the penalty you will commit it later.  It's because if players aren't coached to not commit the penalty, they probably will do it again.  The game situation does not matter.  If the game was out of hand, why send the guy to block the punt in the first place?  Why not just peel back and play the return?  It didn't matter to the outcome, but if you don't coach the player to not do that, he will probably do that again.  It's no different than a QB throwing a bad int with a 30 point lead, or an RB fumbling in the same situation.  You coach to repeating good plays, and try to correct not so good ones, no matter what the game situation is.  It's not something to pick at, and it will probably be forgotten very quickly, but we can comment on it. 

What would make you think that players are not coached to commit the penalty? Has this been something that has been recurring? No.

You think they should stop playing because the game was out of hand? It's the perfect opportunity to put a player in a new position to go make a play. He almost did.

If you want to complain about penalties, there is a myriad of issues the Ravens have had with offensive pre-snap penalties. 

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=