#41 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:02 AM

To answer your question, Watson just took less than Mahomes. 4/$160M vs 10/$500M. That’s one example off the top of my head of the next guy taking less.

You sounded like playoff wins was one criteria for Mayfield to make more money than Jackson if Jackson gets his extension first. Also sounded like you were laying the ground work for Mayfield to win his first playoff game while Jackson might not, but if Mayfield doesn’t it’s cause of Covid...

Talk about irrelevant...

no I didn’t ....your hatred has led you to put words in my mouth.

I said that Mayfield has no reason to accept less than Jackson. They have the same number of playoff wins and the playoffs are really what it’s all about. Flacco cashed in after the Super Bowl win. That is basically what Mahomes did with the Chiefs. The Chiefs roster will start feeling the heavy burden in 2022 when his hit swells to 30 million and 2023 $40 million. Let’s see how good they are then.

Matt Stafford and Kirk Cousins had the #1 and #3 cap hits in 2019. This year Prescott, Goff, and Garrapolo had 3 of the top 4 QB numbers. None of these guys has won a Super Bowl or accepted less per year.

For the most part I think those 30+ contracts are a huge mistake regardless of the name associated with the deal. In Mahomes and Flacco’s that was the cost of the Super Bowl. If Mahomes adds another this year or next I suppose the Chiefs can claim victory and justify suffering with the back half of this deal where the cap will dictate limited talent on their roster due to the high numbers....even worse could throw them into a rebuild should they need to cut ties due to an injury or decline in his skill level.

Even though I dislike Brady, I admire his approach to his contracts with the Patriots where he accepted less as winning was his priority.

If the Ravens do extend Jackson, I’d expect a deal like Watson’s due to the fact that Jackson’s best attribute are his legs. An injury or decline due to age when it happens will seriously diminish his value to the team.

If I were the Ravens ....I would run his contract out and then tag him (possibly twice) before I commit to 4 years that will inevitably put the team in the situation to reduce the overall team talent.

IMO, if you can’t win with a QB while he’s cheap and the roster has talent you are unlikely to win when he’s forced to play with a lesser talented team.

Also, you can point at the regular season wins and his stats as proof of his value. But, the lack of wins in the post season will define him. He has improvements to make that include reversing the trend of not being able to win when losing after the 1st quarter. A win like that would move the dial but more consistent play when trailing needs to be the norm not a one off.

Roll Tide

#42 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:05 AM

Lamar has a MVP under his belt and barring disaster today, 3 playoff appearances. That’s more, actually a lot more, than Mayfield can say. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:11 AM

Lol. Mayfield has many reasons to accept less than Jackson. Utter nonsense to think that anyone in the world - Mayfield and his agent included - thinks the two are worth the same contract if extended right now.

Mayfield will get a big contract. All QBs do. But Jackson will get the 2nd biggest ever behind Mahomes.

#44 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:54 AM

My personal opinion, you can't bring in team achievements when talking about individuals. Winning in the playoffs takes about 30+ players. I HATE when people use wins and losses as a reason for comparison between individuals. Lamar doesn't block. He doesn't catch his own passes. He doesn't line up and cover the other teams receivers, or try to get to the QB. What he does do, is his job, extremely well in most cases.

He led an offense to 500 total yards last year in the playoffs. He also had about 4 crucial, game changing drops. He also had a defense that gave up too much. The whole team blew it last year.

When comparing Baker to Lamar, look at the individual achievements. Thats not particularly close. End of story.

#45 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

Ravens inactives....OLB Ngakoue, CB Smith, WR Snead, C Mekari, WR Proche, DT Ellis, DT Washington.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#46 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:43 AM

Is Ngakoue nicked up?
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#47 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,556 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:45 AM

Is Ngakoue nicked up?

Issue with his thigh, hopefully not serious.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#48 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:52 AM

Glad to see Peters back out there.

What about Koch?

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:58 AM

My personal opinion, you can't bring in team achievements when talking about individuals. Winning in the playoffs takes about 30+ players. I HATE when people use wins and losses as a reason for comparison between individuals. Lamar doesn't block. He doesn't catch his own passes. He doesn't line up and cover the other teams receivers, or try to get to the QB. What he does do, is his job, extremely well in most cases.

He led an offense to 500 total yards last year in the playoffs. He also had about 4 crucial, game changing drops. He also had a defense that gave up too much. The whole team blew it last year.

When comparing Baker to Lamar, look at the individual achievements. Thats not particularly close. End of story.

I think it's fair to include team success (regular and postseason) for quarterbacks since they are so vastly important to the success of the team (hence the ridiculous position of the cap they'll account for). But it's a very small part of the overall picture. Individual abilities, skills, and performance is what drives contracts (as it should be).

It's a knock on Jackson that he's played so poorly in the playoffs. He had a big second half against Tennessee, but the rest of the time he's been bad to abysmal.

That said, he's worth ever penny they are gonna throw at him. And suggesting he's not worth considerably more than Baker Mayfield shows that some people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to NFL finances. It's just out of touch with reality.

#50 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:04 PM

Glad to see Peters back out there.

What about Koch?

He's on the reserve covid list. We signed another punter.
@primetime667083

#51 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:05 PM

Let's get out of the blocks early today. Don't give a bad team hope.
  • JStruds likes this
@primetime667083

#52 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

Let's get out of the blocks early today. Don't give a bad team hope.

I think thats key. We've cruised the past two weeks because we got out big early and took the fight out of the Jags and Giants almost immediately. Definitely need to do it again.

#53 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

Lol. Mayfield has many reasons to accept less than Jackson. Utter nonsense to think that anyone in the world - Mayfield and his agent included - thinks the two are worth the same contract if extended right now.

Mayfield will get a big contract. All QBs do. But Jackson will get the 2nd biggest ever behind Mahomes.

LoL ....QBs get paid as the next man up most of the time. There are a few exceptions. If the Ravens gave Jackson more than 4 years they will regret it IMO

Roll Tide

#54 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:16 PM

Ravens inactives....OLB Ngakoue, CB Smith, WR Snead, C Mekari, WR Proche, DT Ellis, DT Washington.

Hopefully they can return next week, especially Mekari

Roll Tide

#55 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:22 PM

Smith is a bit surprising considering he practiced the last 2 days

#56 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:23 PM

Ozzie Newsome mentioned as a possible GM replacement for GM role for Texans

Roll Tide

#57 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:23 PM

Fast start would be big. Make Cincy players want to get out of there ASAP

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:26 PM

Ozzie Newsome mentioned as a possible GM replacement for GM role for Texans

Ravens executive VP Ozzie Newsome not a Texans GM candidate, sources say

• Roll Tide likes this

#59 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

I heard the report on Ozzie Newsome as well.  The feeling is that Houston would try to entice him by bringing in Marvin Lewis as their head coach.  He and Ozzie are good friends.  Of course everyone will deny it until it happens.  That's the way it works.  Probably unlikely, but these reports get started from somewhere.  

#60 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

Smith is a bit surprising considering he practiced the last 2 days

With Peters back and Averett improved, a more healthy Smith next week may prove more valuable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=