#141 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:18 PM

There’s no guarantee 

That's for sure.  How the hell do you lose to the Jets in an important game?  Mind boggling.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Pittsburgh beat them, even without Roethlisberger. 

#142 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:20 PM

I don't think either Pittsburgh or Buffalo will rest starters next week.  Had Pittsburgh lost and Buffalo win tomorrow, Buffalo would have locked that #2 seed.  Even though there is no bye, the #2 seed is important.  If you are #2 and win the first weekend, you play at home in round 2.  Not to mention, you don't have to go to KC until the AFC championship game. 

The #3 seed is less important because you aren't guaranteed a second home game, but it could still be important in the respect that you could only travel to #2, you don't have to go to KC in the second round.   

#143 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:25 PM

Maybe it is bravado, but I want to win next week, keep the Dline healthy, get the 5 speed somehow/. I want the Titans

@mikeghg

#144 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:42 PM

I don't think either Pittsburgh or Buffalo will rest starters next week.  Had Pittsburgh lost and Buffalo win tomorrow, Buffalo would have locked that #2 seed.  Even though there is no bye, the #2 seed is important.  If you are #2 and win the first weekend, you play at home in round 2.  Not to mention, you don't have to go to KC until the AFC championship game. 

The #3 seed is less important because you aren't guaranteed a second home game, but it could still be important in the respect that you could only travel to #2, you don't have to go to KC in the second round.   

And the #3 could mean a 1st round game against the Ravens as opposed to the Dolphins or Colts

Roll Tide

#145 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:52 PM

Unless you are a team like Miami (warm weather) or Indy (dome), I don't see the importance of playing at home in these playoffs. And neither of those two aforementioned teams are likely to get a home game at this point anyway. No one in the AFC will have to travel farther west than KC, so long plane rides or time zone changes are hardly a factor either.

This season, if it comes down to resting key veterans in Week 17 vs going for a #2 seed over #3, I choose the former.

#146 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:58 PM

Unless you are a team like Miami (warm weather) or Indy (dome), I don't see the importance of playing at home in these playoffs. And neither of those two aforementioned teams are likely to get a home game at this point anyway. No one in the AFC will have to travel farther west than KC, so long plane rides or time zone changes are hardly a factor either.

This season, if it comes down to resting key veterans in Week 17 vs going for a #2 seed over #3, I choose the former.

The 2 seed delays a matchup with the Chiefs to the Championship game. You dont think the Steelers would prefer to play the Dolphins or Colts In round 1 as opposed to the Ravens?

Roll Tide

#147 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:04 PM

The 2 seed delays a matchup with the Chiefs to the Championship game. You dont think the Steelers would prefer to play the Dolphins or Colts In round 1 as opposed to the Ravens?

I'm sure they'd prefer to avoid KC until the AFCCG, but enough not to rest guys? After the debacle that was their bye week?

For the first round, I doubt they care. The Ravens would be the tougher matchup, but Pitt knows exactly how to prepare/scheme for them. Miami is someone they haven't seen. If it's a short week (Sat game) that might be a wash.

I might feel differently if this were the NFC and you're playing for a first round game against the NFC Least winner versus a long trip to Seattle, or someone like New Orleans avoiding Lambeau for as long as possible. But the AFC is a lot more stacked with good teams and no clear preferences for where you'd want to travel, and avoid traveling, in January.

#148 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:12 PM

I don't think any team is worrying about matchups, that's out of their control.  And all of the teams not named the Chiefs are about the same as far as being able to be beaten.  I would probably want to play Miami over anyone because they don't have much playoff experience and they start a rookie QB.  After that, nobody else particularly strikes me as a team that I would fear above and beyond the rest.  

• GabeFerguson likes this

#149 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:51 PM

NBC's ongoing schtick with the dude reviewing playoff scenarios like John King on CNN election night coverage is really annoying. Just had to share that... :)
  • Mike B, Mike in STL and cprenegade like this

#150 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:19 PM

NBC's ongoing schtick with the dude reviewing playoff scenarios like John King on CNN election night coverage is really annoying. Just had to share that... :)

I thought that too.  Not sure what audience they are targeting with that.  Football fans want the playoff scenarios explained, but not from this geeky character.  Just put the graphics up and explain them.  

#151 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 01:55 AM

If Miami wins next week (and the Ravens win) It locks the Ravens into the 6 seed. Would play PIT, BUF, or TEN based on how it shakes out.

If the Ravens lose, the only way they are eliminated is if the Browns beat the Steelers AND the Colts beat the Jags. The latter almost assuredly happens, the former is probably a coin flip. 

Ideally I want the Ravens, BUF, IND, CLE, to win, and TEN to lose. That would give us:

1 - KC

2 vs. 7 - BUF vs. TEN

3 vs. 6 - PIT vs. CLE

4 vs. 5 - IND vs. BAL

I think in that scenario TEN or CLE could beat the higher seeds, then they get to play KC. I don't trust if MIA settles for the 7 seed that they would beat PIT, makes it more likely the Ravens play KC in the Divisional Round.

I'd like to avoid playing KC or TEN as long as possible. 

• Mashed Potatoes likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#152 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:02 AM

Give me Tenn. I want that ass.
  • Mashed Potatoes and NewMarketSean like this

#153 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:43 AM

Give me Tenn. I want that ass.

Agreed, we're not beating KC this year but if we could knock out Pittsburgh and Tennessee first that would be a successful playoffs.
  • DuffMan likes this
@DaKittenz

#154 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:27 AM

I hope Cleveland makes it.  Not sure if that's heresy on a Ravens board or not, but if they finally end up having a decent season and don't make the playoffs at 10-6, that just seems too cruel to inflict on a fanbase.

#155 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:30 AM

I hope Cleveland makes it. Not sure if that's heresy on a Ravens board or not, but if they finally end up having a decent season and don't make the playoffs at 10-6, that just seems too cruel to inflict on a fanbase.

No it isn’t.

They got too big for their britches too fast. Let them stew another year.
  • kudzu likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#156 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:02 AM

If Miami wins next week (and the Ravens win) It locks the Ravens into the 6 seed. Would play PIT, BUF, or TEN based on how it shakes out.

If the Ravens lose, the only way they are eliminated is if the Browns beat the Steelers AND the Colts beat the Jags. The latter almost assuredly happens, the former is probably a coin flip. 

Ideally I want the Ravens, BUF, IND, CLE, to win, and TEN to lose. That would give us:

1 - KC

2 vs. 7 - BUF vs. TEN

3 vs. 6 - PIT vs. CLE

4 vs. 5 - IND vs. BAL

I think in that scenario TEN or CLE could beat the higher seeds, then they get to play KC. I don't trust if MIA settles for the 7 seed that they would beat PIT, makes it more likely the Ravens play KC in the Divisional Round.

I'd like to avoid playing KC or TEN as long as possible. 

I wasn’t impressed by Miami....but it’s been speculated that if Buffalo wins tonight they won’t try next week. If Miami starts Fitzpatrick they are better off now. As a Alabama fan I’m shocked at his lack of mobility. If he doesn’t get more back he’s not going to last long.

Roll Tide

#157 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:12 AM

I wasn’t impressed by Miami....but it’s been speculated that if Buffalo wins tonight they won’t try next week. If Miami starts Fitzpatrick they are better off now. As a Alabama fan I’m shocked at his lack of mobility. If he doesn’t get more back he’s not going to last long.

That was true if Pittsburgh lost yesterday.  With Pittsburgh winning they could still claim the #2 seed if Buffalo loses so I'm guessing Buffalo will be treating Sunday like a normal game.  

#158 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:18 AM

It looks like the most likely matchup for the Ravens is going to Tennessee.  Assuming Indy beats Jacksonville, Tennessee is likely to beat Houston.  If Buffalo wins tonight and beats Miami they get the #2.  At that point Pittsburgh/Cleveland doesn't matter to the Ravens.  If Cleveland wins, Cleveland would go back to Pittsburgh and Indy goes to Buffalo.  If Pittsburgh wins, Indy goes to Pittsburgh and Miami gets in and goes back to Buffalo.  The Ravens would be locked into the #5 seed.  The next round would depend on whether either Pittsburgh or Buffalo loses as the #2 and #3 seeds.  If not, the Ravens/Titans winner goes to KC.  

#159 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:26 AM

No it isn’t.

They got too big for their britches too fast. Let them stew another year.

So if they lose they can still make it with a Miami win and a Colts or Titans loss.....or a Buffalo win and a Colts loss

Roll Tide

#160 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:41 AM

It looks like the most likely matchup for the Ravens is going to Tennessee.  Assuming Indy beats Jacksonville, Tennessee is likely to beat Houston.  If Buffalo wins tonight and beats Miami they get the #2.  At that point Pittsburgh/Cleveland doesn't matter to the Ravens.  If Cleveland wins, Cleveland would go back to Pittsburgh and Indy goes to Buffalo.  If Pittsburgh wins, Indy goes to Pittsburgh and Miami gets in and goes back to Buffalo.  The Ravens would be locked into the #5 seed.  The next round would depend on whether either Pittsburgh or Buffalo loses as the #2 and #3 seeds.  If not, the Ravens/Titans winner goes to KC.  

I’m assuming all the teams that should win do.....That would give the 

#1 KC

#2 Buffalo vs #7 Miami 

#3 Pittsburgh vs #6 Colts

#4 Titans vs #5 Ravens 

....I see the Bills winning and the Colts getting revenge. As for us I don’t want to jinx it.....but my hearts says Ravens and my head says Titans (since we can’t seem to beat either them or KC the last 2 years)

so give the Ravens the upset

KC vs Colts

Bills vs Ravens 

And then 

Chief vs Ravens (again heart says Ravens, head says Chief’s)

......................................................................................

With that said Tenn vs Houston is a division game and I expect the Texans to make it a game. Jacksonville has won the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes so there is no reason for them not to try and win. The Browns could pull the upset if they can clear the Covid list. Pittsburgh not being able to run the ball is trouble for them. I don’t see anyway the Dolphins beat a good team starting Tua right now. The Raiders should’ve buried the Dolphins in the 1st half and expect any good team would and the Fitz crap would be too late.

So a lot is still to be determined 

Roll Tide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=