Photo

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Stage is set for Ravens QB Lamar Jackson to prove he’s a long-term answer

• Please log in to reply
423 replies to this topic

#41 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:31 AM

I think the Cowboys were a factor, but I think it's just as much a factor that it looked we used last year's playbook as opposed to the crap Roman has been running all year before that game. 

You could be right.  I hope so because that tells me he finally got his hard head jarred enough over the past week or so to realize whatever the hell he was running this year is an epic fail.  If it is the case, it only took him 12 weeks to wake up.  SMH

• bmore_ken likes this

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:57 AM

Last night needs to be the floor for Lamar if I'm tying that much cap space into him long term. And it can and should be. 

• russsnyder likes this

#43 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:22 PM

Last night needs to be the floor for Lamar if I'm tying that much cap space into him long term. And it can and should be. 

This strikes me as pretty high expectations. 

Still no Andrews and no Snead. Bryant a very last second scratch. No practice for 10-days. Just got COVID and apparently quite symptomatic at that. Also, OL showing a new iteration with a rotation at RT, too. 

That being said, the INT was tipped, and was a missed rub by Wilson, it's a one read play, which is fine by me. But if you watch this play again...this is exactly the play design problem the Ravens have. Duvernay needs to run a 9 route on this play anyway, and force the safety to trail him deep. That way he's not there in case the throw is errant. If Duvernay has the CB follow him and the safety stays down, there is window deep. If the CB stays in zone, then Hollywood should break his route off but still be clean from the rub. I don't know why you have Duvernay run a dummy out, because that holds another defender in the box to stop Lamar if he's able to run. Also, if you run Duvernay out of the slot on the 9 instead you'd clear out the underneath for only Brown on one defender, plus Lamar if he breaks contain. 

That being said, it's not a throw Lamar should make, but that play was busted by Wilson because it really was a one read throw. I'd think Snead or Andrews would have executed that better in that situation last night and if that's the case, that's a good shot at first down. 

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:57 PM

What you are describing, is a realistic roster once we allocate that much money to him. You think we'll be able to field a roster much better than the one last night when $40M is going to one player?

#45 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:00 PM

they found out by over paying for Flacco, they werent able to get too many other top notch talent[s]. They claimed it wasn't cap space issues, but that doesnt change the fact too much.

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 01:05 PM

Its possible to keep the overall talent level pretty high if you draft well consistently. Hard to do but it is possible.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:03 PM

Lamar has been a bit up and down. We can agree on that. But I want to put his year in context. He currently has a 93.9 QB rating and a 63.1 QBR. Joe Flacco never had a season with a QB rating of 93.9 and the only year he was above 63.1 QBR was 2014 when he was 68.2 That's not bashing Joe. 2014 he played at a Pro Bowl level and he had 3 or 4 other years that were good. Not spectacular, but good.
  • JordanKough, bmore_ken and makoman like this

#48 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:06 PM

What you are describing, is a realistic roster once we allocate that much money to him. You think we'll be able to field a roster much better than the one last night when $40M is going to one player?

I don't think you have a choice. Well, actually, first I don't think it will be $40 million. Everyone recognizes Mahomes is above the market. But it is a high percentage but you just can't win without it. 

they found out by over paying for Flacco, they werent able to get too many other top notch talent[s]. They claimed it wasn't cap space issues, but that doesnt change the fact too much.

I don't think the first big contract was the one that hurt. It was the second, if you ask me. Ray Rice was a huge factor, they took a dead hit of $9.5 million in 2015 on top of $5 million in dead money in 2014. Ngata was another $7.5 million in dead money. And then Pitta was basically DOA on his extension, it was a $32 million deal but they saved maybe $5 million total but that was all dead money.

Yes, Flacco hurt, but there wre many other conspiring factor from 2014-2016 that really hurt hte Ravens cap worse than Flacco, IMO. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#49 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:36 PM

Lamar has been a bit up and down. We can agree on that. But I want to put his year in context. He currently has a 93.9 QB rating and a 63.1 QBR. Joe Flacco never had a season with a QB rating of 93.9 and the only year he was above 63.1 QBR was 2014 when he was 68.2 That's not bashing Joe. 2014 he played at a Pro Bowl level and he had 3 or 4 other years that were good. Not spectacular, but good.

Not to mention Flacco never had the ability to break a defense with his legs.  Sometimes I forget how infuriating it was to watch him quarterback. 

#50 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:05 PM

Yeah I don't know that 2TD passes and 94 yards rushing including a 37 yard TD equates to the floor with everything that's gone on the last couple of weeks. He didn't even get in a real practice for the game, just a walkthrough. 

This strikes me as pretty high expectations. 

Still no Andrews and no Snead. Bryant a very last second scratch. No practice for 10-days. Just got COVID and apparently quite symptomatic at that. Also, OL showing a new iteration with a rotation at RT, too. 

That being said, the INT was tipped, and was a missed rub by Wilson, it's a one read play, which is fine by me. But if you watch this play again...this is exactly the play design problem the Ravens have. Duvernay needs to run a 9 route on this play anyway, and force the safety to trail him deep. That way he's not there in case the throw is errant. If Duvernay has the CB follow him and the safety stays down, there is window deep. If the CB stays in zone, then Hollywood should break his route off but still be clean from the rub. I don't know why you have Duvernay run a dummy out, because that holds another defender in the box to stop Lamar if he's able to run. Also, if you run Duvernay out of the slot on the 9 instead you'd clear out the underneath for only Brown on one defender, plus Lamar if he breaks contain. 

That being said, it's not a throw Lamar should make, but that play was busted by Wilson because it really was a one read throw. I'd think Snead or Andrews would have executed that better in that situation last night and if that's the case, that's a good shot at first down. 

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:21 PM

Agreed there isn't even really a choice here. He has to and will be resigned. I'm just being realistic about what that means. Unfortunately, it's just the reality of the financial state of the NFL.
  • JordanKough likes this

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:21 PM

Yeah I don't know that 2TD passes and 94 yards rushing including a 37 yard TD equates to the floor with everything that's gone on the last couple of weeks. He didn't even get in a real practice for the game, just a walkthrough.

It's the floor if you want to compete for a SB with that much money tied into one player. That's just fact.

#53 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:05 PM

He has the ability to take over a game by making plays with his legs. Last night felt like the first time he's done so since last year. He actively looked to take off when he got flushed outside the pocket.

But the fumbles and interceptions still happened. Last night we played a team with one of the worst defenses around and a pretty lousy offense. They hung in and if not for 3 missed field goals and flipped field position as a result the game is much closer. 

Roll Tide

#54 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:08 PM

But the fumbles and interceptions still happened. Last night we played a team with one of the worst defenses around and a pretty lousy offense. They hung in and if not for 3 missed field goals and flipped field position as a result the game is much closer. 

That's like saying, if not for the INT and overthrows, defensive rustiness and 3rd down play calling by the Ravens, it would have been 70-3 Ravens.

Ravens frankly kicked their asses last night.

#55 glorydays

glorydays
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:09 PM

My concern is the flashes of energy LJ has shown this year in comparison to the last two when it was lit in overdrive all the time. What’s going on? Contract... coaching... players... fans? And it’s been like this from day 1. Just flat. I’m guessing something will come out at the end of the season unless they win the super bowl.

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:10 PM

He didn't have any fumbles.

If they called the missed snap a fumble, that's just a technicality and not what anyone is talking about when they refer to fumbles.

Zuerlein missed from 40, 52, and 53. 40 is a chip shot, but the others aren't.

This is a very cherry picked post, IMO. It wasn't a strong performance by the Ravens but don't need to be misleading to make that case.

#57 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:11 PM

That's like saying, if not for the INT and overthrows, defensive rustiness and 3rd down play calling by the Ravens, it would have been 70-3 Ravens.

Ravens frankly kicked their asses last night.

Controlled the game for sure but people are going to paint it the way they want to paint it. Quite frankly you can convince yourself your team is competitive in most of the losses in the NFL

#58 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:30 PM

Controlled the game for sure but people are going to paint it the way they want to paint it. Quite frankly you can convince yourself your team is competitive in most of the losses in the NFL

Well, yeah. Haven't we done that four times this year? 😉

#59 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:04 PM

The last four games will have very little to do with how I view Lamar long term. We've seen enough of him through good and bad moments to lend too much credence to the end of the regular season.

I'm 100%, all in, however you want to put it on extending Lamar this offseason. I do think you get a discount by signing him after year three like Watson and Mahomes. The guaranteed money and injury risk insurance Lamar gets in an early deal is worth something. Plus we'd be buying out the last two years we have him on a rookie salary. All things equal, players get more expensive the closer they get to FA.

I don't worry about injury risk any more than any other player. Lamar is durable and generally smart and quick enough to dodge big hits. He will lay out for 4th downs and TDs though. 

You can't let a talent like Lamar leave the organization. He will be worth every penny imo, the biggest thing he needs to work on is mechanics. He lets the ball sail too often. It's been an issue from the start and I believe that's fixable and he's willing to be taught.

• You Play to Win the Game, JordanKough and russsnyder like this

#60 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:45 PM

My concern is the flashes of energy LJ has shown this year in comparison to the last two when it was lit in overdrive all the time. What’s going on? Contract... coaching... players... fans? And it’s been like this from day 1. Just flat. I’m guessing something will come out at the end of the season unless they win the super bowl.

My overall belief is that Jackson has been frustrated with his and the team's lack of production.

This is really the first time that he has faced any adversity for a stretch in the NFL.

He's young and he seems to put some pressure on himself.

He needs to relax and have fun on the field.

His performance coming off Covid and a lack of practice reps was very impressive IMO.

• bmore_ken likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=