Photo

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Stage is set for Ravens QB Lamar Jackson to prove he’s a long-term answer

• Please log in to reply
423 replies to this topic

#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:00 PM

The dangers of the early extension have been well stated here. It's also worth noting that the higher risk of the early extension can also bring with it significant savings rather than waiting after another potential MVP season next year. 

I tend to very highly doubt that. I think he's getting a mega deal regardless of this season - but may not if he struggles next season too. The floor is set VERY high for QB FA contracts. In all tiers.

#22 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:45 PM

Carson has become the new Joe Flacco.  The Philly people are far less forgiving, and he m ay need a change of scenery.

Tough contract to move.

Along with Wentz, any team acquiring him gets 33 million in dead money against their cap.

He's not going anywhere.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#23 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 08 December 2020 - 04:54 PM

Maybe it's just Flacco Contract PTSD - but I'm not so quick to be willing to tie up so much of our cap to one player unless they're 100% the real deal. The balance doesn't matter, what matters is what he can do moving forward. This offense is a mess right now. Lot of injuries, Roman has kind of stunk it up - I want to see what next year looks like before I'm punting on competitiveness for 10 years.

It's not just Flacco. How about Wentz, Goff and (although the jury is still out) Garoppolo? NFL Front Offices may need to reconsider spending so much on potential at QB and focus on the other phases of the game instead much like MLB - to a limited extent - moved away from paying HR hitters too damned much. Mahomes is an exception. If he continues to perform at his current level, that damned Brady may very well have competition for the GOAT label.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2020 - 05:10 PM

It's not just Flacco. How about Wentz, Goff and (although the jury is still out) Garoppolo? NFL Front Offices may need to reconsider spending so much on potential at QB and focus on the other phases of the game instead much like MLB - to a limited extent - moved away from paying HR hitters too damned much. Mahomes is an exception. If he continues to perform at his current level, that damned Brady may very well have competition for the GOAT label.

Further, look at the struggles Seattle are having fielding a complete team now, same with GB there for a while (and I still don't see them as legit contenders). I just think it's virtually impossible to truly compete with that much cap in one position. But if it's going to be, they better be 100% the real deal. And even when they are, it's still nearly impossible to win a championship at those cap figures.

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2020 - 05:11 PM

Team game.

Sure, you want your QB to raise others up.

But Yanda wasn't replaced. Lost Stanley. Has 2 Rookie WR's, 2 Second Year WR's... lost Boyle. Ingram regressed.
Offense around him has questions.

Shown that he can play at a very high level, this year doesn't change it. Plus he's a legitimate leader, and works hard.

Personally, I've always only ever really wanted Jackson for his first contract... but there is nothing that happens in these games which could shake me from believing he isn't the QB for the remainder of his contract, and I do expect he'll land the extension.

Fair. Add Hurst too. Ingram also clearly lost a step IMO. It's why I think we should be patient, but ultimately, I love Lamar and want him here long term.

#26 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:20 PM

Fair. Add Hurst too. Ingram also clearly lost a step IMO. It's why I think we should be patient, but ultimately, I love Lamar and want him here long term.

I feel the same way.  I'll never forget how much fun Lamar made watching football again when he took over for Flacco.  It was like everything went from black and white to vivid color.  Unfortunately, this season so far as been a perfect storm for things to go wrong...from injuries, the virus, the retirement of Yanda, changing the offense to a more traditional, pocket passing style, etc...you can see just from his body language, that Lamar hasn't had much fun this year and Ravens fans definitely haven't had any.  I hope starting tonight, the offense goes back to doing what it does best and Lamar can just react naturally again and set the field on fire like he did so many times last year. 

#27 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:38 PM

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Stage is set for Ravens QB Lamar Jackson to prove he’s a long-term answer

If Lamar Jackson wants to firmly establish himself as the Ravens quarterback of the future, the final five games of the regular season would be the perfect time.

Garbage for two reasons.

If he has a bad end of the season, he can rebound next season and establish himself again then.

If he runs the table it still means little considering the schedule outside of Cleveland. He has another season to go before the Ravens have to decide anything.
@BSLMikeRandall

#28 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:45 PM

Ah, Preston. I don’t miss reading him.

One would think the postseason is where Lamar must prove himself. But Mike “I Played Football at Towson” Preston still thinks Lamar has something to prove in the regular season.

Ok Mike. Cool story man.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#29 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:51 PM

I like Lamar a lot, but I'm surprised at the number of people who feel like he has nothing left to prove to earn 40 million a year for the next 7 years or so.

#30 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:03 PM

I feel the same way.  I'll never forget how much fun Lamar made watching football again when he took over for Flacco.  It was like everything went from black and white to vivid color.  Unfortunately, this season so far as been a perfect storm for things to go wrong...from injuries, the virus, the retirement of Yanda, changing the offense to a more traditional, pocket passing style, etc...you can see just from his body language, that Lamar hasn't had much fun this year and Ravens fans definitely haven't had any.  I hope starting tonight, the offense goes back to doing what it does best and Lamar can just react naturally again and set the field on fire like he did so many times last year. 

I think a big part of the problem is that the league has adjusted to the offense. I think we all know Lamar’s strengths and weaknesses. The line is definitely not as good and that has given less time to throw. But, also teams have went with more athletic guys to swarm the line and take away the middle of the field and seal the edge. Daring the Ravens and Lamar to beat the 1 on 1 matchups outside and deep. A part of the game that he doesn’t excel. To be far the receiver Corp is mediocre at best.

Roll Tide

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:30 PM

Lamar to the house

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#32 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:25 AM

I really don’t see how running the table does any such thing. We have a weak schedule with a game versus the overhyped Browns being the toughest game. What Lamar needs to do is improve his mechanics and stop making the mistakes that give momentum to the other team.

Roll Tide

#33 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:24 AM

I really don’t see how running the table does any such thing. We have a weak schedule with a game versus the overhyped Browns being the toughest game. What Lamar needs to do is improve his mechanics and stop making the mistakes that give momentum to the other team.

I think the overall premise is that if the Ravens run the table it will be the result of Lamar's improved play. Last night was a good start to that end IMO.

#34 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 07:23 AM

Carson has become the new Joe Flacco.  The Philly people are far less forgiving, and he m ay need a change of scenery.

No team is taking that contract. They're stuck with him at least through 2021 because of the dead cap money involved.

Russ. But doesn't the dead money fall on the Eagles in a trade?

• russsnyder likes this

#35 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:01 AM

I think it's a fair position.

Lamar is playing at a very mediocre level after an MVP season. Which QB are you giving a record setting deal to? Further, the Carson Wentz extension serves as a cautionary tale.

The entire team has played mediocre at times this season, not just Lamar.

• russsnyder likes this

#36 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:23 AM

No team is taking that contract. They're stuck with him at least through 2021 because of the dead cap money involved.
Russ. But doesn't the dead money fall on the Eagles in a trade?

Ken, you are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. The Eagles would have the 33 million of dead money on their cap. Wentz is not going anywhere except to the bench for a while.

#37 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:25 AM

The entire team has played mediocre at times this season, not just Lamar.

True, but Lamar's performance or lack thereof has been more glaring. He plays the most high profile position in pro sports and he is the reigning MVP.

#38 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:46 AM

True, but Lamar's performance or lack thereof has been more glaring. He plays the most high profile position in pro sports and he is the reigning MVP.

He has the ability to take over a game by making plays with his legs. Last night felt like the first time he's done so since last year. He actively looked to take off when he got flushed outside the pocket.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#39 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:04 AM

The Cowboys sieve run defense probably had something to do with it but hopefully going forward, we'll see a return of Lamar taking off more assertively and once again, making defenses pay for pressure.  Last night's performance was good to see and long overdue. 

#40 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 10:22 AM

The Cowboys sieve run defense probably had something to do with it but hopefully going forward, we'll see a return of Lamar taking off more assertively and once again, making defenses pay for pressure.  Last night's performance was good to see and long overdue. 

I think the Cowboys were a factor, but I think it's just as much a factor that it looked we used last year's playbook as opposed to the crap Roman has been running all year before that game. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=