Photo

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Stage is set for Ravens QB Lamar Jackson to prove he’s a long-term answer

• Please log in to reply
423 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:58 AM

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Stage is set for Ravens QB Lamar Jackson to prove he’s a long-term answer

If Lamar Jackson wants to firmly establish himself as the Ravens quarterback of the future, the final five games of the regular season would be the perfect time.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:58 AM

Are we really back to this?

• bmore_ken likes this

#3 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:06 AM

I think it's a fair position.

Lamar is playing at a very mediocre level after an MVP season. Which QB are you giving a record setting deal to? Further, the Carson Wentz extension serves as a cautionary tale.
  • You Play to Win the Game and PrimeTime like this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:08 AM

Not worth the time to respond.
  • JordanKough likes this

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:08 AM

I wish we weren't, but I think it's a fair conversation to have considering what it will take to keep him here.

Is the version of Lamar we've seen this year worth 40 million a year over 7+ years? If he had continued to look like he did last year it would be no question, but he hasn't.

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:09 AM

Lamar is playing at a very mediocre level after an MVP season. Which QB are you giving a record setting deal too. Further, the Carson Wentz extension serves as a cautionary tale.

I agree completely. I'm not saying not to do it, but I am saying it deserves discussion.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:09 AM

Lamar is playing at a very mediocre level after an MVP season. Which QB are you giving a record setting deal too. Further, the Carson Wentz extension serves as a cautionary tale.

Team game. 

Sure, you want your QB to raise others up. 

But Yanda wasn't replaced. Lost Stanley. Has 2 Rookie WR's, 2 Second Year WR's...   lost Boyle. Ingram regressed.
Offense around him has questions. 

Shown that he can play at a very high level, this year doesn't change it.  Plus he's a legitimate leader, and works hard.

Personally, I've always only ever really wanted Jackson for his first contract...  but there is nothing that happens in these games which could shake me from believing he isn't the QB for the remainder of his contract, and I do expect he'll land the extension. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:10 AM

Not worth the time to respond.

You may not like it, but you certainly can't win and have $40M of cap space taken up by this year's version of Lamar. I'm a Ravens fan first - but I absolutely love Lamar - so I hope he is better next year.

#9 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:21 AM

Team game.

Sure, you want your QB to raise others up.

But Yanda wasn't replaced. Lost Stanley. Has 2 Rookie WR's, 2 Second Year WR's... lost Boyle. Ingram regressed.
Offense around him has questions.

Shown that he can play at a very high level, this year doesn't change it. Plus he's a legitimate leader, and works hard.

Personally, I've always only ever really wanted Jackson for his first contract... but there is nothing that happens in these games which could shake me from believing he isn't the QB for the remainder of his contract, and I do expect he'll land the extension.

I don't disagree with your position. It is a team game and the Ravens have been hit hard with Yanda's retirement, injuries, and a Covid outbreak.

Like it or not, the QB ( especially one as dynamic as Lamar) is going to be under the microscope. I like Lamar and I hope he gets a long term deal here, however, the questions that Preston presents in the article are fair.

Interestingly, Lamar is on a similar position as Joe Flacco during the Super Bowl run. With the exception that Joe was a pending FA. I'd love to see Lamar take over the remaining games and make a boatload of money.

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:33 AM

Barring a catastrophic injury Lamar has to be resigned. You structure it in a way where you need to make another decision when he's in his late 20s. Essentially, he should be here for 5 more years minimum.

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:55 AM

Its Preston, we all knew it was coming.  

Truthfully, Lamar IMO, has been borderline good this year, but not great, so I would wait till next year, to see how he does before extending.

@mikeghg

#12 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 12:14 PM

Mike Preston is basically a professional troll; his job is to spark controversy. That said, he is correct. The answer to the Lamar question will be found on the field in the next five (+) games. There's a ton of stuff working against him compared to last season, but now is the time to overcome it all, make this team better, and win win win.

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2020 - 12:17 PM

There's no need to rush an extension anyway. Let's see how this plays out the next year or so.
  • russsnyder likes this

#14 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 12:54 PM

You may not like it, but you certainly can't win and have $40M of cap space taken up by this year's version of Lamar. I'm a Ravens fan first - but I absolutely love Lamar - so I hope he is better next year.

Well if we're judging Lamar from the last 5 games, no. But the first 6 games, yes.

On balance though, I've seen enough from Lamar to make him a top 3 paid QB in the NFL even this season. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:07 PM

Maybe it's just Flacco Contract PTSD - but I'm not so quick to be willing to tie up so much of our cap to one player unless they're 100% the real deal. The balance doesn't matter, what matters is what he can do moving forward. This offense is a mess right now. Lot of injuries, Roman has kind of stunk it up - I want to see what next year looks like before I'm punting on competitiveness for 10 years. 

#16 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:17 PM

Lamar's certainly had less good going on around him this year, both personnel and scheme-wise. That said, I do see some regression in terms of his mechanics and his decision making. He was really starting to excel at hitting targets accurately on the move last year, using his eyes to look off DBs then quickly pull the trigger and hit a moving target in perfect stride. That just isn't happening this year. And in critical spots were I feel like last year he would have peeled out one way to buy time, maybe run, maybe throw... he seems to seem less mobile and more timid.

Now I was as pessimistic as you could get about his prospects as a thrower of the football going in to week one last year, and he proved me very very wrong. I certainly think he can "get it back" but he needs some support from the coaching staff in terms of scheme and gameplan. That THREAT of a multifaceted running attack opens up so much more in the passing game. OLine is weaker talent wise, I'll give them that, but I don't see Roman and Harbaugh adjusting the alignments and personnel groupings to help protect him more. Keep more bodies back there to block, or show block, or at least chip a rusher before releasing.

Empty backfield takes away MULTIPLE possibilities of the snap, so the front 7 can rush with little risk (against a lesser OL). There's no apparent attempt, to my eye, to incorporate more quick hitter type stuff, WR screens, quick give FB dives, etc. Get the ball to your speed guys quickly off the snap. I just don't see the offense trying to adjust to the loss of Stanley and others. I don't anticipate him ever being Brees or Mahomes or Manning as a pure thrower of the ball... but that doesn't mean they can't win a LOT and win some titles with his skillset back there.
  • Mike B and bmore_ken like this

#17 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:51 PM

There's no need to rush an extension anyway. Let's see how this plays out the next year or so.

I agree.

Carson Wentzs' early extension should probably serve as a cautionary tale.

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

Well if we're judging Lamar from the last 5 games, no. But the first 6 games, yes.

On balance though, I've seen enough from Lamar to make him a top 3 paid QB in the NFL even this season. 

I am not taking that leap yet, but I think we will eventually get there.

I don't think Lamar has had a bad year, but he set the bar so high, I knew any fallback was going to have people upset.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:13 PM

I agree.

Carson Wentzs' early extension should probably serve as a cautionary tale.

Carson has become the new Joe Flacco.  The Philly people are far less forgiving, and he m ay need a change of scenery.

@mikeghg

#20 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:48 PM

The dangers of the early extension have been well stated here. It's also worth noting that the higher risk of the early extension can also bring with it significant savings rather than waiting after another potential MVP season next year. 

• DuffMan and Huddle It Up Films like this
@DaKittenz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=