BSLJasonBHirschhorn

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:25 PM

Greg Roman running out of time to reboot slumping Ravens offense:

https://baltimorespo...ravens-offense/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

Jason B. Hirschhorn is the co-founder of The Leap and an award-winning sportswriter with bylines at NFL.com, SB Nation, Sports Illustrated, and other major outlets. He is also a Pro Football Writers of America member. Follow him on Twitter: @by_JBH

#2 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:26 PM

Too little too late for this season.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:35 PM

Too little too late for this season.

31% of the regular season remains. 

At the minimum they should go 4-1 in the remaining 5 games. 

Should make the playoffs. 

It's about improving week-to-week over this stretch.  

I liked the suggestions Jason provided. 

#4 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:38 PM

31% of the regular season remains. 

At the minimum they should go 4-1 in the remaining 5 games. 

Should make the playoffs. 

It's about improving week-to-week over this stretch.  

I liked the suggestions Jason provided. 

The way they are playing, they arent showing me the desire to win. IMO

This is a team that has dropped 3 in a row.

Yes, it should be about improving week-to-week.

So they go 4-1 and close out the season on a high, one and done in the playoffs, just too many other teams playing better, right now.

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:08 PM

I'd say he's out of time.

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:21 PM

Trying to mold Lamar into this prototypical, pocket passer was a huge mistake right out of the gate and in the end, may have cost Roman his job.  Instead of trying to recreate the wheel, he should have stuck to what this team does best, Jackson included.  Sometimes change just for the sake of it blows up in your face.  

#7 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:11 PM

The nature of the game is, "what have you done lately?" In the off season we were all crying about somebody hiring Roman away for a HC. Whatever he was doing last season was working; whatever he's doing this season is not. The offensive line is missing important pieces, the young WRs have not stepped up, Lamar is not as sharp, and the TE corps is decimated. The coach's job is to make best use of the talent he has and put players in position where they can succeed. Yet, strategy is important in a horse race, but if you don't have the best horse it is hard to come in first.

• jamesdean likes this

#8 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:29 PM

He's right, this team funnels everything to the middle of the field all the time. And then when they are running it's usually to the obvious side and in an obvious way. 

• kudzu likes this

#9 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:52 PM

Trying to mold Lamar into this prototypical, pocket passer was a huge mistake right out of the gate and in the end, may have cost Roman his job. Instead of trying to recreate the wheel, he should have stuck to what this team does best, Jackson included. Sometimes change just for the sake of it blows up in your face.

I mostly agree with this, but why the focus only on Roman? Doesn't the head coach have authority over game planning and in game play calling? I like Harbaugh, but this blaming only the coordinator feels like an ongoing issue.

#10 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:03 PM

I mostly agree with this, but why the focus only on Roman? Doesn't the head coach have authority over game planning and in game play calling? I like Harbaugh, but this blaming only the coordinator feels like an ongoing issue.

In theory, sure, the head coach is supposed to have final say but I doubt that's the way it is with the Ravens.  I would think he lets Roman call the plays and while he may be thinking, "why isn't he running the ball more", he probably just keeps it to himself.  I don't know that for a fact but it's just the impression I've gotten throughout Harbaugh's tenure.  

#11 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:26 PM

Offensive football is like a symphony. It requires everything working in concert and everyone executing. In other words, it's very difficult to assess blame.

Our situation this season has been particularly difficult with regards to the losses and constant shuffling on the offensive line. Add to that, the specter of last year's record breaking, unbelievable offense casting its shadow on this year's team.

I will take umbrage with some of Roman's play calling decisions and lack of in game feel at times but between poor execution, ill timed penalties, a rash of injuries and some regression from LJ, you have what we've seen this year.

For the remainder of the season, we need to use play action more and do what we can to scheme guys open to create some easier, higher percentage throws for Jackson. Combine that with some more JK Dobbins and we could definitely heat up over the last 5 weeks.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:18 PM

I'd say he's out of time.

Just double checked, and yeah not so much. There's 5 more games left. You seem to like being wrong.

#13 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:37 PM

Just double checked, and yeah not so much. There's 5 more games left. You seem to like being wrong.

How likely is it in your opinion that the Ravens will reinvent their offense in 5 weeks with no more byes, and critical pieces missing?

The time to do this was 4 weeks ago.

And for as much as people love to tell me how wrong I am, I called this team for what it was after week 3 and got shellacked for it. Am I happy to be right? No, but don't pretend I wasn't.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:39 PM

How likely is it in your opinion that the Ravens will reinvent their offense in 5 weeks with no more byes, and critical pieces missing?

The time to do this was 4 weeks ago.

And for as much as people love to tell me how wrong I am, I called this team for what it was after week 3 and got shellacked for it. Am I happy to be right? No, but don't pretend I wasn't.

1. They don't need to reinvent, just better execute.

2. There is literally more time; therefore they aren't out of time. (this is not debatable)

• PrimeTime likes this

#15 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:43 PM

1. They don't need to reinvent, just better execute.
2. There is literally more time; therefore they aren't out of time. (this is not debatable)

Saying they need to better execute is an extreme simplification of what needs to happen. The focal pieces need to be utilized entirely differently.

Lamar needs to run more. Dobbins needs to get more touches. They need to utilize the sidelines and the deep ball more and stop funneling everything between the numbers. They need a WR to step up and perform. They need to do a better job in pass protection. They can't throw the ball 2-2.5 times more than they run it, or treat Lamar like he's Peyton Manning.

Yes there is still time left in the season, but offensive changes take time. They just don't have enough.

#16 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:03 PM

Saying they need to better execute is an extreme simplification of what needs to happen. The focal pieces need to be utilized entirely differently.

Lamar needs to run more. Dobbins needs to get more touches. They need to utilize the sidelines and the deep ball more and stop funneling everything between the numbers. They need a WR to step up and perform. They need to do a better job in pass protection. They can't throw the ball 2-2.5 times more than they run it, or treat Lamar like he's Peyton Manning.

Yes there is still time left in the season, but offensive changes take time. They just don't have enough.

I agree with everything but that line.  It's a lost cause because Jackson just doesn't have the talent to be that kind of passer.  The sooner this team realizes it, the better off it will be.  Unfortunately, they either don't realize it or they're being hard heads in trying to defy the obvious.  I know one thing- it got old a long time ago and now it's teetering on costing them the play-offs.  A lot of critics say Brady, Brees and Roethlisberger have been reduced to just playing 5-10 yard catch with their receivers.  Well, maybe Roman should take some pages out of those play books and have Lamar do the same thing.  Then, you might finally see this offense in snyc and chewing up the yardage. 

• PrimeTime likes this

#17 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:19 PM

I agree with everything but that line. It's a lost cause because Jackson just doesn't have the talent to be that kind of passer. The sooner this team realizes it, the better off it will be. Unfortunately, they either doesn't realize it or they're being hard heads in trying to defy the obvious. I know one thing- it got old a long time ago and now it's teetering on costing them the play-offs. A lot of critics say Brady, Brees and Roethlisberger have been reduced to just playing 5-10 yard catch with their receivers. Well, maybe Roman should take some pages out of those play books and have Lamar do the same thing. Then, you might finally see this offense in snyc and chewing up the yardage.

You could very well be right.

#18 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:23 PM

Yes. Yes. Yes. It's been an ongoing issue through many OCs. Harbaugh has been the constant. Trestman and Marty ball were unmitigated disasters that didn't tailor anything to their actual roster strengths. Roman worked it well last year... and then suddenly in the playoffs they asked Lamar to drop back 60+ times. This year has been a disjointed mess schematically. In the big picture, these OCs are Harbaugh hires and he's the ultimate shot caller here... they work for him. And the quantity of double-digit blown second half leads in playoff games or "big" regular season games... John is getting a free pass for, and personally I don't think he should. I think it's past time to try a new voice and vision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=