HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

WBAL: University May End Baseball And Soccer Programs

http://www.wbal.com/...occer-Programs-

There is a recommendation being considered by the President of Towson University that would cut the NCAA Division I men's baseball and soccer programs.

The recommendation from Towson University Athletic Director Mike Waddell also calls for reinstating the men's tennis program and expanding the roster of select women's teams.

I got no affliation with Towson, but I hated seeing the more drastic cuts at Maryland and dislike seeing this too. It really sucks sometimes that college athletics is a "business."
@levineps

#2 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

Saw this yesterday on Twitter....might have been Adam Jones retweeting one of their baseball guys.

Like you, I hate to see this happen. Especially for it to happen to two "big-time" sports like baseball and soccer.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

Saw this yesterday on Twitter....might have been Adam Jones retweeting one of their baseball guys.

Like you, I hate to see this happen. Especially for it to happen to two "big-time" sports like baseball and soccer.

The sports they choose to cut are usually men's "Olympic" sports, which are done likely for Title IX reasons. It sounds like having men's tennis is less of a burden.
@levineps

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

John Scheurholz is going to be pissed...

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

If only this happened several years ago...we wouldn't have to deal with Casper Wells.

(This is a joke from a few game threads this season involving Seattle.)

#6 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

This sucks.
I have many friends whom have played baseball at Towson, and there is a few playing the professional baseball as we speak (Casper Wells, Nick Natoli).
Really can't understand this move at all.

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

http://www.baltimore... ... 4508.story

Basically, Towson's student body is 60 percent female, but the balance of available roster spots for athletes was listed by Waddell as 53 percent female. Apparently, he counted the women's indoor and outdoor track rosters as one team instead of the two it is officially. Despite both rosters containing almost entirely the same athletes, by rule you count total opportunities for Title IX compliance.

The new number for available roster spots is 57 percent female, which likely means only adjustments needed, not wholesale cuts.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Basically, Towson's student body is 60 percent female

A good recruiting pitch to guys :lol:
@levineps

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

http://www.baltimore... ... 9860.story

I'm posting it in this thread because of the angle The Sun takes. All issues aside, that is pretty cool.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,272 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-towsons-trip-to-lsu-to-be-featured-on-60-minutes-20121115,0,6919860.story

I'm posting it in this thread because of the angle The Sun takes. All issues aside, that is pretty cool.

It'll be the second time in a year that a Baltimore area college has been featured on 60 Minutes.

bsAYyf1BOOA

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

It'll be the second time in a year that a Baltimore area college has been featured on 60 Minutes.

bsAYyf1BOOA

Yeah, but the first time they could talk about football :lol:

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Wow brutal time for soccer...Mount Saint Mary's just cut men's soccer, as well as both golf programs.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

http://www.baltimore... ... 9558.story

They're done.

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

What is it with MD schools and athletic programs? Sports here definitely seem to struggle at the collegiate level.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

What is it with MD schools and athletic programs? Sports here definitely seem to struggle at the collegiate level.

Two words.

Foot.

Ball.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Don't think it's ONLY Maryland schools that are cutting sports. Only two sports are generally profitable. Amazing all the outrage yesterday. Guarantee you most of them, haven't attended a single baseball or men's soccer game.
@levineps

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Don't think it's ONLY Maryland schools that are cutting sports. Only two sports are generally profitable. Amazing all the outrage yesterday. Guarantee you most of them, haven't attended a single baseball or men's soccer game.

To be fair, though, most of them may not have attended a football or basketball game at Towson, either.

#18 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-towson-president-decides-to-cut-baseball-mens-soccer-20130308,0,339558.story

They're done.

Don't bet on it. With the way Keith Mills of WBAL radio/TV and 98 Rock has been going on about it all morning long. Now C4 on WBAL is banging this drum. I think this will get nasty before all said and done. As a school that receives taxpaying money. Why shouldn't a school account how an Athletic Department that had a $400,000 surplus in 2010 and goes to a $1.2m deficit now?

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#19 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

I like Mills a lot, and man, he is absolutely livid over this. I've never heard him take any opinion nearly as strong as he has this one.

Not just the decision, but the way it was handled and went down. There has to be a little bit more behind this. I have to admit, the picture Mills paints is a very, very bad one for the university. Would love to hear their side of things.

#20 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

And as C4 just said. The schools teacher salaries have increased $1.6m since 2011.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=