604 replies to this topic

#601 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:13 PM

I'm not excusing what I see as Harbaugh's routinely weak management of TOs and game clock... but that said... these clock management gaffes by officials too are another example of why I think the league should have a three-man crew in the booth upstairs that works with the on-field crew in real-time.  The on-field officials not only have the job of watching each play and 22 players for penalties, complete vs incomplete, down vs not, etc etc etc... but they have to re-position themselves before each snap, spot or help spot the ball, break up conflicts between players, and communicate with each other while players, coaches, and (in another world) thousands of screaming fans are yelling at or around them from kickoff to triple zeros.

Put three trained, knowledgeable officials in a quiet replay booth upstairs with a direct line to the head official... and give them the power to control their own replays from the broadcast truck feed, stop play at any time to clarify, correct, or in some cases make a call that is missed, etc.  

And for the love of God, the challenge system needs to be unlimited challenges at ANY time of the game... you burn a TO or take a delay of game penalty if you lose the challenge.

#602 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:14 PM

The officiating yesterday was horrible, and it wasn't just against the Ravens.  The roughing the passer call on Cam Heyward was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.  He drilled the QB right in the midsection where he is supposed to hit him.  It was an identical play to the one where Bowser, I think, drilled Roethlisberger.   No flag was thrown then, as it should not have been.  The over protection of QBs already pisses me off, but if you now can't hit them where you are supposed to, then just declare them off limits and let them stand back there however long it takes to find someone.  The no call at the end of the half was bad.  Failure to at least stop the clock while they were getting off the pile at the end of the half was ridiculous as well.  This crew was just awful. 

That said, if you're Harbaugh you have to know how bad the officiating is and realize that when you burn your last timeout and then decide to run the ball.  I know you think you are going to have more time, but it doesn't always work that way.  Maybe at that point RGIII has to clock it and just take the FG.  Or maybe the TE has to catch the ball.  Bad luck there, but at the point that the clock is running down before everyone is getting set, you need to be aware of what you really want to do.  Not getting any points is not an option.

#603 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:03 PM

The officiating yesterday was horrible, and it wasn't just against the Ravens.  The roughing the passer call on Cam Heyward was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.  He drilled the QB right in the midsection where he is supposed to hit him.  It was an identical play to the one where Bowser, I think, drilled Roethlisberger.   No flag was thrown then, as it should not have been.  The over protection of QBs already pisses me off, but if you now can't hit them where you are supposed to, then just declare them off limits and let them stand back there however long it takes to find someone.  The no call at the end of the half was bad.  Failure to at least stop the clock while they were getting off the pile at the end of the half was ridiculous as well.  This crew was just awful. 

That said, if you're Harbaugh you have to know how bad the officiating is and realize that when you burn your last timeout and then decide to run the ball.  I know you think you are going to have more time, but it doesn't always work that way.  Maybe at that point RGIII has to clock it and just take the FG.  Or maybe the TE has to catch the ball.  Bad luck there, but at the point that the clock is running down before everyone is getting set, you need to be aware of what you really want to do.  Not getting any points is not an option.

I think they made up for the Heyward call on an equally bad holding on Fluker after Gus ripped off a 10 yard run to get us to the 20.  Officiatting in the NFL is bad, yesterday was miserable.  That crew should be benched for that effort.

@mikeghg

#604 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:07 PM

I think Harbaugh has to assume the ref is not going to let Pittsburgh lay on people for at least 10 and closer to 15 seconds.  I also think he thought he was going to need to score 7 when they were in that close.  I am sure he thought we were going to allow more than 19 points.   

The defense yesterday was very good.  They contested every play.

@mikeghg

#605 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:58 PM

doesnt really matter, ultimately the Ravens managed their own destiny. Fumbles, Pick 6, dropped passes.

Scream and yell at the refs doesn't matter. The results are, they screwed up and left points off the point, and gave the other team points.

Not sure why you aren’t getting what I am saying. I didn’t expect the refs to have an impact on a game I expected us to lose by a lot. I expect RG3 to fumble and throw picks. He is not good. I don’t expect refs to make epic blunders that impact the game especially when they made a blunder that impacted the game in the first game vs Pitt. Not saying they lost us the game but it had an impact.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=