• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ZachSpedden

ZachSpedden

HOF

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:44 PM

The Baltimore Orioles added six players to their 40-man roster on Friday, effectively protecting them from the Rule 5 Draft and answering one of the most pressing questions of their offseason.

https://baltimorespo...raft-dfa-nunez/

• BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan and NickStevens like this

#2 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:04 AM

I guess the Nunez move should not be a surprise, yet it somehow still was surprising. I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands. 

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:50 AM

With so many teams needing bullpen help, it wouldn't surprise me to see teams interested in taking a guy like Pop (power lefty righty) or even Hanifee (heavy GB), even if they just look at them in ST and send them back. 

Edit: Pop is a righty.

#4 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:36 PM

With so many teams needing bullpen help, it wouldn't surprise me to see teams interested in taking a guy like Pop (power lefty) or even Hanifee (heavy GB), even if they just look at them in ST and send them back.

Pop is a righty, however, point taken.
  • BobPhelan likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:41 PM

Pop does not get a spot but Eshelman and Sulser still have spots??

• BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this
@mikeghg

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, I don't get that.

Obviously the bet is that after Pop's injury they don't think anyone will gamble. But always easier to gamble on a reliever and possibly easier in '21 if there are expanded rosters.

The Orioles should be protecting the talent who has a chance to help long-term vs the known replacement level guys.
  • BobPhelan, waroriole and Mike B like this

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:21 AM

Pop is a righty, however, point taken.

Thanks.  My bad.  Maybe I was thinking of Rom although I don't think he has the same power stuff.

#8 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:17 AM

Let alone Austin Wynns
  • Mike B likes this

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:54 AM

Let alone Austin Wynns

Forgot about him, but yeah another spot that could be used.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:53 AM

Let alone Austin Wynns

The presence of Wynns still on the 40 makes me think Severino may not be around.

I've sort of been of the position that they're either in or out with the ARSSIN group, they have been the core and the chemistry (if you can have chemistry on a third division team) for the last couple years and they certainly seem to have bonded at some level.  They were mostly unwanted by every other organization but got significant playing time in Baltimore to the point where I'm sure they feel deserving now.

They are brothers in this.  I think that's good at a macro level.  I keep saying this, but there isn't enough Talent separation in any teams where Attitude and Chemistry can't make a real difference.  It's why a much less talented Orioles team can take 3 of 4 from the Yankees or sweep the Rays.  It can happen.  It's just hard to make it happen over and over when you are way behind in terms of Talent. 

The arbitration cases seemed to be at a level where they could maybe go into the season with all of them and see what happens and look to trade everyone later since it's unlikely any of them are on the 2022 roster.  When they picked up Iglesias' option, that seemed to maybe indicate the path.  The Nunez DFA is a bit surprising to most, not that he wasn't going, just that it happened now.

I'm curious if the Nunez DFA is more an indicator of the approach.  I think the worst place to be, for the team, is in the middle.  You either bring them back and let them play or you break it up and start over with your chemistry.  Everyone will say the right things publicly, it's the right thing to do professionally, but there's a human side to this that sometimes makes the train come off the rails and if you happen to be going over a bridge...see 2018.

#11 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:53 AM

Wynns is on the roster because he is now the third catcher with Holaday being a free agent. Wynns was on the taxi squad several times last season. I don't think Severino is going anywhere. He simply has very little value other than as a placeholder for Rutschman. That said, with Covid still looming, it's good that the Orioles have three catchers on the roster with major league experience.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#12 ZachSpedden

ZachSpedden

HOF

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:36 PM

Wynns is on the roster because he is now the third catcher with Holaday being a free agent. Wynns was on the taxi squad several times last season. I don't think Severino is going anywhere. He simply has very little value other than as a placeholder for Rutschman. That said, with Covid still looming, it's good that the Orioles have three catchers on the roster with major league experience.

I also don't see Severino going anywhere. Personally, I think the Orioles should bring him back and consider moving him at the trade deadline if he's more consistent at the plate. While I don't think the numbers he put up in July and August are anywhere close to sustainable over a full season, I also don't believe that he's as bad of a hitter as he looked over September.

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:59 PM

I also don't see Severino going anywhere. Personally, I think the Orioles should bring him back and consider moving him at the trade deadline if he's more consistent at the plate. While I don't think the numbers he put up in July and August are anywhere close to sustainable over a full season, I also don't believe that he's as bad of a hitter as he looked over September.

So we'd make the same argument for Nunez, right?

I tend to agree with you on Severino, but I don't see where Wynns has some roster value.  Wynns will be 30 in December, he's never produced numbers at any level.  If he left, what is the down-side?  It feels like the only reason to keep him on the roster is you need 2 catchers (not 3) and unless they are trading Sisco, Severino is at least a guy with the roster risk similar to Nunez.

Again, personally, I thought/think they'll keep all of their arbitration guys, but that has proven not to be true.  

Both Severino and Wynns have no options remaining so AAA isn't a direct option.  Sisco has one option left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=