• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 08:05 AM

MASN: How much will Sánchez addition alter O’s infield?
https://www.masnspor...os-infield.html

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 October 2020 - 02:21 PM

I think there is a good chance Sanchez winds up the second baseman.  He is a very good second baseman defensively.  Iggy and Sanchez would form a good combination up the middle.

@mikeghg

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 October 2020 - 02:21 PM

Maybe Alberto and Ruiz, platoon at 3rd.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:06 PM

Maybe Alberto and Ruiz, platoon at 3rd.

I agree with this or even think it could spell the end for Ruiz moreso than Alberto.

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:34 PM

I agree with this or even think it could spell the end for Ruiz moreso than Alberto.

I agree.  It is probably unlikely we keep both.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#6 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 October 2020 - 08:03 PM

Rio had reverse splits last year so I don't know how much they'd be willing to platoon

she/her

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 November 2020 - 12:05 AM

I guess I don't understand the narrative being shared by Steve and Roch.

Roch included the Yolmer stuff in a post and said that the Orioles could control him through 2022. No.

Let's back up.

1) The Orioles have shown zero interest in spending money.  We haven't picked up Iglesias' 3.5M yet....why?

2) Yolmer Sanchez has 5+ year of service.  He's also out of options.  Unless you extend him on a contract, he's a FA after the 2021 season.  Of course that's assuming he gets a ML contract.  He didn't get one last year until the CWS picked him back up so he could wind up with less than a full year of service....but if the Orioles use him, he's either a FA or he's not here (been released).

3) The CWS didn't offer him arbitration before the 2020 season because they didn't want to pay him ARB2 prices (Sanchez was actually a Super2 so you see him as 'ARB4' in COTs...this is why I use ARB0 for Super 2s).  Sanchez signed a minor league contract last year after he was released and played in the minors for SF before being released.  He caught back on with his original team and jumped his service over 5. years.

4) The Orioles are NOT GOING TO OFFER HIM ARBITRATION.  This isn't an arbitration play.  They need a chance to talk to him and see what they can put together before the arbitration filing deadline (in about 3 weeks). COTs has his arbitration # at 4.0M (that seems high to me). 

If Sanchez doesn't agree to a modest ML contract, then he can go fight for his minor league deal like he did in 2020.  He'll take 900k to be guaranteed a starting job...because 900k in 2021 is better than hanging out at a MiL facility waiting for someone to get hurt..  That's what the Orioles have basically done, guaranteed guys getting waived they can start here.

This is also pressure for Alberto to either accept a lower contract number (pre-arbitration....because he doesn't want to go fight for a job on the market as a FA either) or possibly the Orioles look for a team that would leverage his skill set for the relatively modest cost.  If Yolmer signs for 900k, then the Orioles don't have to mess with Alberto's ~2.5M arb number.

Yolmer isn't a short or long term play.  He's a cost mitigation option so the Orioles can continue to manage their already absurdly low  payroll.  He agrees to a cheap deal or he gets non-tendered...and he can go figure it out as a FA.

• Mackus and Mike B like this

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 November 2020 - 11:50 AM

I guess I don't understand the narrative being shared by Steve and Roch.

Roch included the Yolmer stuff in a post and said that the Orioles could control him through 2022. No.

Let's back up.

1) The Orioles have shown zero interest in spending money.  We haven't picked up Iglesias' 3.5M yet....why?

2) Yolmer Sanchez has 5+ year of service.  He's also out of options.  Unless you extend him on a contract, he's a FA after the 2021 season.  Of course that's assuming he gets a ML contract.  He didn't get one last year until the CWS picked him back up so he could wind up with less than a full year of service....but if the Orioles use him, he's either a FA or he's not here (been released).

3) The CWS didn't offer him arbitration before the 2020 season because they didn't want to pay him ARB2 prices (Sanchez was actually a Super2 so you see him as 'ARB4' in COTs...this is why I use ARB0 for Super 2s).  Sanchez signed a minor league contract last year after he was released and played in the minors for SF before being released.  He caught back on with his original team and jumped his service over 5. years.

4) The Orioles are NOT GOING TO OFFER HIM ARBITRATION.  This isn't an arbitration play.  They need a chance to talk to him and see what they can put together before the arbitration filing deadline (in about 3 weeks). COTs has his arbitration # at 4.0M (that seems high to me). 

If Sanchez doesn't agree to a modest ML contract, then he can go fight for his minor league deal like he did in 2020.  He'll take 900k to be guaranteed a starting job...because 900k in 2021 is better than hanging out at a MiL facility waiting for someone to get hurt..  That's what the Orioles have basically done, guaranteed guys getting waived they can start here.

This is also pressure for Alberto to either accept a lower contract number (pre-arbitration....because he doesn't want to go fight for a job on the market as a FA either) or possibly the Orioles look for a team that would leverage his skill set for the relatively modest cost.  If Yolmer signs for 900k, then the Orioles don't have to mess with Alberto's ~2.5M arb number.

Yolmer isn't a short or long term play.  He's a cost mitigation option so the Orioles can continue to manage their already absurdly low  payroll.  He agrees to a cheap deal or he gets non-tendered...and he can go figure it out as a FA.

Agree with this.

Good news is they did pick up Iglesias's contract.

https://www.masnspor...s-contract.html

@mikeghg

#9 24fps

24fps
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, TN

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:20 PM

Yolmer Sanchez signs for $1 million per Mark Feinsand.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:36 PM

Here is the MASN article.

https://www.masnspor...gn-sanchez.html

@mikeghg

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:37 PM

Got to think this makes Alberto unlikely to be offered arbitration.

@mikeghg

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 02:18 PM

Got to think this makes Alberto unlikely to be offered arbitration.

I doubt both Alberto and Valaika are offered arb. My hope is they keep Valaika but they easily could just keep Alberto and platoon him with Ruiz at 3b and otherwise be UTI. He could also take over 3b full time if Ruiz doesnt hit righties.

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:50 PM

#14 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:30 PM

Who?

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:33 PM

Who?

Won a gold glove at second base in 2019. Place holder for Rylan Bannon/Terrin Vavra.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:13 PM

See You Yolmer, we barely knew you.

@mikeghg

#17 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

Who's gonna play 2B?

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:28 PM

They just DFAd Sanchez after sending Jones and Bannon down?

#19 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:38 PM

Do we have a 2b?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:38 PM

Who's gonna play 2B?

Valaika?   

I wonder if Sanchez finds his way back like LeBlanc did.   They maybe be looking to get Yolmer at a lower price

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=