786 replies to this topic

#261 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:45 PM

Roberto Alomar, who was a consultant for MLB's commissioner's office, was fired from that role, placed on MLB's ineligible list (which I didn't know about but am guessing means nobody can hire him for anything), and the Blue Jays are going to cut all ties and remove all acknowledgements of him at Skydome including his retired jersey.  

Apparently a couple months ago someone made a claim about an incident from 2014.  MLB has investigated it and is making the decision above.  I can't find any details on what this incident is, but must be pretty damn bad for this reaction from MLB.

He had a really nasty allegation about five years prior to this, but that was settled with the accuser for a huge sum.  No idea if they are in any way related.

#262 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:02 PM

Roberto Alomar, who was a consultant for MLB's commissioner's office, was fired from that role, placed on MLB's ineligible list (which I didn't know about but am guessing means nobody can hire him for anything), and the Blue Jays are going to cut all ties and remove all acknowledgements of him at Skydome including his retired jersey.  

Apparently a couple months ago someone made a claim about an incident from 2014.  MLB has investigated it and is making the decision above.  I can't find any details on what this incident is, but must be pretty damn bad for this reaction from MLB.

He had a really nasty allegation about five years prior to this, but that was settled with the accuser for a huge sum.  No idea if they are in any way related.

CBS Sports: MLB places Roberto Alomar on ineligible list after investigation into sexual misconduct allegation
https://www.cbssport...uct-allegation/

#263 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:17 PM

Sounds like he's a real piece of work. Sucks. I was a fan of his play on the field.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#264 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 April 2021 - 03:59 PM

Sounds like he's a real piece of work. Sucks. I was a fan of his play on the field.

My favorite player ever to watch. Doesn’t sound as dazzling off of the field to say the least…

#265 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:33 PM

Apparently a couple months ago someone made a claim about an incident from 2014. MLB has investigated it and is making the decision above. I can't find any details on what this incident is, but must be pretty damn bad for this reaction from MLB.

He had a really nasty allegation about five years prior to this, but that was settled with the accuser for a huge sum. No idea if they are in any way related.

Pete Rose and Joe Jackson are on the ineligible list. Alomar is essentially banned from baseball. The difference is that unlike Rose and Jackson, Alomar was elected to the HOF before he was banned. The HOF has stated that they are not planning on removing Alomar's plaque.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#266 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:30 PM

Pete Rose and Joe Jackson are on the ineligible list. Alomar is essentially banned from baseball. The difference is that unlike Rose and Jackson, Alomar was elected to the HOF before he was banned. The HOF has stated that they are not planning on removing Alomar's plaque.

I don't think the timing is that significant here. Rose and Shoeless Joe committed the cardinal sin of betting on their games. Plenty of guys in the HOF did something awful or were generally problematic people at best.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this

#267 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:08 PM

I don't think the timing is that significant here. Rose and Shoeless Joe committed the cardinal sin of betting on their games. Plenty of guys in the HOF did something awful or were generally problematic people at best.

I disagree.

They are all on the same ineligible list.

The only difference is the timing.

Since Rose's banning anyone on the ineligible list is not eligible for enshrinement.

The HOF has stated that they will not take down Alomar's plaque despite his being banned from baseball.

If Alomar wasn't already in,he would be ineligible.

#268 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:15 PM

I disagree.

They are all on the same ineligible list.

The only difference is the timing.

Since Rose's banning anyone on the ineligible list is not eligible for enshrinement.

The HOF has stated that they will not take down Alomar's plaque despite his being banned from baseball.

If Alomar wasn't already in,he would be ineligible.

Well if you're right, and it's possible, or it's possible that it's just for hiring purposes, then that would completely go against the precedent established for Hall of Fame selection.

#269 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:28 PM

Well if you're right, and it's possible, or it's possible that it's just for hiring purposes, then that would completely go against the precedent established for Hall of Fame selection.

I'm not convinced that he's completely out of the woods as far as his enshrinement is concerned. I can envision a scenario where the HOF bows to pressure and kicks him out. It would open a can of worms that the HOF probably doesn't want to deal with, but I can see it happening with the present political climate of the country. As you state, he'll no longer have a job in baseball again.

#270 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:45 PM

I'm not convinced that he's completely out of the woods as far as his enshrinement is concerned. I can envision a scenario where the HOF bows to pressure and kicks him out. It would open a can of worms that the HOF probably doesn't want to deal with, but I can see it happening with the present political climate of the country. As you state, he'll no longer have a job in baseball again.

If they open up that can of worms, then they'll have to actually invoke that character clause for more than steroids, which it never is.

#271 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 08:04 PM

If they open up that can of worms, then they'll have to actually invoke that character clause for more than steroids, which it never is.

I agree.

I doubt they want to do that, but if they kick Alomar out for this, who goes for beating their wife back in 1937?

My problem with writers not voting for guys because of alleged steroid use turned a blind eye along with everyone else ( including MLB itself) because the home run explosion was putting asses in seats and generating interest in record breaking seasons. It was all fun and games until Barry Bonds shattered the most most sacred record in sports like a twelve year old playing a week of wiffle ball.

#272 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 08:29 PM

I agree.

I doubt they want to do that, but if they kick Alomar out for this, who goes for beating their wife back in 1937?

My problem with writers not voting for guys because of alleged steroid use turned a blind eye along with everyone else ( including MLB itself) because the home run explosion was putting asses in seats and generating interest in record breaking seasons. It was all fun and games until Barry Bonds shattered the most most sacred record in sports like a twelve year old playing a week of wiffle ball.

We agree!
  • russsnyder likes this

#273 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 08:51 PM

We agree!

All is good!

#274 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:31 AM

CBS Sports: Way-too-early MLB awards frontrunners: Byron Buxton over Mike Trout for AL MVP?; John Means in Cy Young mix
https://www.cbssport...n-perfect-game/

#275 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:18 PM

Albert Pujols being released today.

#276 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:27 PM

Albert Pujols being released today.

Tough way for a top tier HOFer to go.

#277 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:40 PM

Tough way for a top tier HOFer to go.

Apparently the California Angels were cutting his playing time and he wants to play everyday. 

#278 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:06 PM

Apparently the California Angels were cutting his playing time and he wants to play everyday.

He also sucks at this point so I'm sure he's going to get what he wants.

#279 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:21 PM

He's better than what the Indians and Brewers (both competitive) are running out there at 1B. 

The Tigers too.  They could put him and Cabrera in the same lineup for marketing reasons.  

#280 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:34 PM

Former Oriole Wade Miley currently with a no hitter through 7.

Baseball is just giving those away this year I guess.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=