#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:22 PM

I don't think anyone is defending that performance. Just disagreeing about what it means exactly. Particularly in week 3 of a no fan year with no pre season. But bottom line, they got their asses kicked. Undebatable.

#42 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:59 PM

Fair enough. It does mean they weren't prepared. But it doesn't mean they won't be next time. If we see a similar performance against Pitt his week, my concern will continue to rise. And I've been a bit more concerned than the average guy here. 

#43 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:56 PM

Cowboys led by Ben DiNucci (James Madison) vs. Eagles on Sunday night. 

They can't flex in Lamar Jackson versus the undefeated Steelers? I know they have to give notice to flex a game, but apparently when it's COVID related they don't. Didn't seem that hard last week. What's the difference? Flex it in. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#44 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:57 PM

No it wasnt. It was the preseason. I mean Week 3.

Hokay.

#45 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:14 AM

Cowboys led by Ben DiNucci (James Madison) vs. Eagles on Sunday night. 

They can't flex in Lamar Jackson versus the undefeated Steelers? I know they have to give notice to flex a game, but apparently when it's COVID related they don't. Didn't seem that hard last week. What's the difference? Flex it in. 

It wouldn't happen anyway for the same reason they didn't flex in the undefeated Steelers vs. the undefeated Titans last week.  CBS and FOX each get to protect 1 game from being flexed off of their schedule.  Baltimore/Pittsburgh is the game CBS is sending out to the most area of the country at 1 so there is no way they wouldn't protect that game.  

• Mike in STL likes this

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:40 AM

I don't think anyone is defending that performance. Just disagreeing about what it means exactly. Particularly in week 3 of a no fan year with no pre season. But bottom line, they got their asses kicked. Undebatable.

People thought NE was still good Week 3. Thought Cle was still Cle. Thought Brady was washed up, etc, etc. Week 3 is still a feeling out process across the league. It was a poor performance but there was little to take away from it.
  • You Play to Win the Game, GabeFerguson and BSLRoseKatz like this

#47 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:36 AM

Life has been owning me a bit lately, so sorry for some of the radio silence. 

I talked to Gabe about this on the podcast last night though, Lamar just needs to get his head on straight and I think that will be enough to carry a lot of the other warts on this team. Right now we've got drops, poor interior pass blocking (and Brown), a series of missed blocks on offense in big running moments, and at times non-ideal route combos (I think you could complain about running too much on 1st down, inability to run a screen, and not using personnel best but I digress...). https://anchor.fm/th...-Preview-elpnrj

Given all of that, this team is on pace for 477 points. We've seen a few big burst plays from Lamar, Duvernay, Andrews, and one from Brown. This team isn't that far off from unlocking it. 

Lamar needs to clean up his decision making and reads, and he needs to clean up his mechanics. I'm seeing a little too much of 2018 at times. Hopefully he used this week off to get healthy and get back to basics. Hopefully Roman keyed up his reads to simplify them or to direct. And Urban used the time to make sure they were practicing the technique he needed for what they wanted to do. 

The Steelers are a good defense and they know this team, so maybe this isnt the ideal week. But last year against New England it was all about their defense and how far it would take them. And Brady was a dink and dunk quick pass offense that tried to beat you over the top because when you played man to man press it shut down the passing game. Coming off a bye, against an undefeated team...Does that story sound familiar? It's not Sunday night, but I think a performance like what we saw from NEP is totally possible. 

#48 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 October 2020 - 10:44 AM

Life has been owning me a bit lately, so sorry for some of the radio silence. 

I talked to Gabe about this on the podcast last night though, Lamar just needs to get his head on straight and I think that will be enough to carry a lot of the other warts on this team. Right now we've got drops, poor interior pass blocking (and Brown), a series of missed blocks on offense in big running moments, and at times non-ideal route combos (I think you could complain about running too much on 1st down, inability to run a screen, and not using personnel best but I digress...). https://anchor.fm/th...-Preview-elpnrj

Given all of that, this team is on pace for 477 points. We've seen a few big burst plays from Lamar, Duvernay, Andrews, and one from Brown. This team isn't that far off from unlocking it. 

Lamar needs to clean up his decision making and reads, and he needs to clean up his mechanics. I'm seeing a little too much of 2018 at times. Hopefully he used this week off to get healthy and get back to basics. Hopefully Roman keyed up his reads to simplify them or to direct. And Urban used the time to make sure they were practicing the technique he needed for what they wanted to do. 

The Steelers are a good defense and they know this team, so maybe this isnt the ideal week. But last year against New England it was all about their defense and how far it would take them. And Brady was a dink and dunk quick pass offense that tried to beat you over the top because when you played man to man press it shut down the passing game. Coming off a bye, against an undefeated team...Does that story sound familiar? It's not Sunday night, but I think a performance like what we saw from NEP is totally possible. 

Thye same part of the season too.  For the Ravens, it is go time.  I think we are going to see a good game from both teams, but I think the Ravens get this one.

@mikeghg

#49 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 30 October 2020 - 11:46 AM

As I stated on twitter a few days back, Jimmy Smith got stepped on his heel during a play and just caused some minor inflammation on his calf and heel.  They were just giving him ample rest as his age and experience makes it a moot point during the week.  Walk throughs and film sessions are all he really needs at this stage of his career during the season. 

• GabeFerguson likes this
@Olsen_Don

#50 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:53 PM

Thye same part of the season too.  For the Ravens, it is go time.  I think we are going to see a good game from both teams, but I think the Ravens get this one.

Tecnically, I thought Lamar was much more sound through 6 weeks of last year though. I'd really like to see him clean that up. I think they've been pressing a bit and he wasn't healthly. It's a weird year. Hopefully this bye was a nice reset. If he does that, I think we get a great game from him.

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

Tecnically, I thought Lamar was much more sound through 6 weeks of last year though. I'd really like to see him clean that up. I think they've been pressing a bit and he wasn't healthly. It's a weird year. Hopefully this bye was a nice reset. If he does that, I think we get a great game from him.

I think a part of his issue is the pressure he is seeing.  He seems to drift backwards when he gets inside pressure and that is where a lot of the side arm stuff has happened.

@mikeghg

#52 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

I think a part of his issue is the pressure he is seeing.  He seems to drift backwards when he gets inside pressure and that is where a lot of the side arm stuff has happened.

To me that's an excuse...even when the pressure isn't there he isn't setting his feet right before throws in terms of width and throwing off hsi back foot. 

It needs to be impressed upon him that sometimes he'll need to take a hit but the trade off of good throwing technique will outweigh that in the long run. 

For me, setting and getting throws off and taking some hits is ok. Setting and then deciding not to throw and breaking the pocket is ok and then when outside of the pocket it's ok. I don't think he's setting on the drop backs like he should, he is always bailing first. 

He's far from the only problem, but that's an easy one on tape to see to fix, IMO. 

#53 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

Ingram doubtful and Smith Questionable for Sunday.  Everyone else looks like a go.

We need Jimmy for this game.

Mixed emotions about Ingram.  He is a tough hard nosed back which fits this game.

Looking forward to seeing Gus and JK.  I also think Justice may get his first few touches of the year.

Levine and Phillips look to be healthy too.

Let's go Ravens.

• JordanKough likes this
@mikeghg

#54 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:40 PM

I'm curious who the main read option guy given the news on Ingram. He and Lamar always seems to be in sync on those, though it seemed like we saw fewer and fewer of those so far this year. 

#55 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:52 PM

I hope Dobbins seizes his opportunity and doesn't let it go. This offense needs him to step up.
  • GabeFerguson likes this

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

I'm curious who the main read option guy given the news on Ingram. He and Lamar always seems to be in sync on those, though it seemed like we saw fewer and fewer of those so far this year. 

I think Gus gets the heavy amount of carries against Pitt.  He doesn't dance.  This is a game for hitting the hole as quick and hard as possible.  It feels like it is Gus's type of game.

@mikeghg

#57 Huddle It Up Films

Huddle It Up Films
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:12 PM

If you could guarantee the Ravens win two of the categories below, which ones give us the best shot at winning the game?

Turnover battle- Penalties- Red Zone Efficiency- TOP- 3rd Down Conversion Rate- Field Position- Rush Yards- Completion Percentage- Missed FGs- Other

#58 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:32 PM

On both sides of the ball? 

I'm always taking 3rd down and red zone efficiency for either. Don't give up TDs or score them, and convert long drives or avoid them. 

• Huddle It Up Films likes this

#59 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

I am told this is going to be a Gus the Bus week and a heavy dose.  I am fine with that approach because they lack Devin Bush and the one gap at full speed is someone that can gash up the middle.  They also believe that Gus gives them the play action they need to go back to in tall order.

@Olsen_Don

#60 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:40 PM

I am told this is going to be a Gus the Bus week and a heavy dose. I am fine with that approach because they lack Devin Bush and the one gap at full speed is someone that can gash up the middle. They also believe that Gus gives them the play action they need to go back to in tall order.

Are they still confident that Dobbins is the bellcow of the future or is the shine on his star starting to fade?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=